UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:03 am 
Saab Nut

[url]Image[/url]The intercooler on my rescue Aero looks a little dodgy. The tabs have sprung on all 4 faces on the lower half. I suspect it had the boost upped at some time but when I bought it it was std. I will be taking it to stg 3. I have had a KL Racing 50mm on my other 9000 since 2015 and it is fine . It was sold cheaply as it required some tig welding of the studs to fit but i considered it a bargain at 232 Euros delivered.
Just looked on KL website and price is now SKr 1525 (£133) ex w. so I should be able to get it delivered for c. £200. Still with disclaimer for fettling but they are out of stock. Have looked at all the usual suspects and they are roughly 3x the price;
Maptun XT 306 Euros
Forge £510
Abbott £600
Saabflight £650 ( I think this is an Allard )
No one appears to give details of the core ( other than KL ) so I am assuming they are 50mm. In 2015 KL were selling a 60mm variant but that is no longer in their catalogue. I have emailed KL to see when they expect stock but I suspect they wont restock for 9000 kit.
Anyone know anything about the Maptun XT.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:08 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 97 9000 Aero 2.3T
Ive just ordered one from Germany for £310. All alloy performance intercooler of stock dimensions.
They note it has 67% more volume than the factory one.

You can always just use plumbers grips and re-crimp the end caps. Then cable tie it to death. See my cars project thread about 3 pages in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:09 pm 
UKS Addict

Here you go.

Holding 1.5 bar now without issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 pm 
Saab Nut

Paul Taylor wrote:
Ive just ordered one from Germany for £310

Any chance of a link Paul?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:26 am 
UKS Addict

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Performance- ... 2763.l2649

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: sorted 9000 Aero; 9000R
That looks a very good price for a Chinese copy, paid way more than that for a UK made Allards 15 years ago.

Bodge picture of the week nomination for Paul, nice use of zip ties there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9000 900 99
Aerohead wrote:
That looks a very good price for a Chinese copy, paid way more than that for a UK made Allards 15 years ago.

How do you know its Chinese and not manufactured in the country of the seller - Germany?

razani67 wrote:
Anyone know anything about the Maptun XT

I, too, would like to know more, especially in light of this one from Germany that Paul has found.

(A better intercooler is the last piece of hardware I need to purchase ready for the final push to join the "300(bhp)+ Club").

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 am 
UKS Addict

Aerohead wrote:

Bodge picture of the week nomination for Paul, nice use of zip ties there!

If you cant fix it with cable ties, your not using enough cable ties.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:23 pm 
UKS Addict

Sven Rodkarl wrote:
Aerohead wrote:

How do you know its Chinese and not manufactured in the country of the seller - Germany?

I don't Sven, but have bought a fair few go fast bits from German sources and they normally are very clear in stating 'Hergestellt in Deutschland' if that is in fact the case.

Seems these are "pre production run" items, which may reflect a bargin price opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:44 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Sven Rodkarl wrote:
(A better intercooler is the last piece of hardware I need to purchase ready for the final push to join the "300(bhp)+ Club").

I ran my Aero for years at over 300bhp on the standard intercooler. And the standard "dump" valve. It isn't as if I didn't give it any beans, either. I took it on a fair few track days. Towards the end of my ownership of the car I did eventually fit an Abbott intercooler when one came up second-hand but I didn't notice any difference. Just like the Abbott 308mm brake kit, to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 am 
Saab Nut

Other than KL (who are out of stock ) and KWE the Maptun XT looks very interesting. Anyone know anything about it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:42 am 
UKS Addict

BillJ wrote:
Sven Rodkarl wrote:

I ran my Aero for years at over 300bhp on the standard intercooler. And the standard "dump" valve. It isn't as if I didn't give it any beans, either. I took it on a fair few track days. Towards the end of my ownership of the car I did eventually fit an Abbott intercooler when one came up second-hand but I didn't notice any difference. Just like the Abbott 308mm brake kit, to be honest.

Agree on the dump valve Bill, though the nice psst the Forge one makes is well worth the admission price if one is as easity entertained as I am.

But a bigger intercooler really made itself known in my 300+ Aero, you spend much more time with that sort of 'sparkling' response
of a cold day, and less time with the 'slugish' hot engine feeling. Not certain there is necessarily significant hp gains under normal conditions, but anything that reduces the temp of the compressed intake air at full boost has got to be good. Full what throttle in July with a/c flat out on an autobahn run the so scientific butt dyno says car feel better in my experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:07 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: Saab 9000 aero w/jules-tune
I was looking for cheap alternatives a while ago and was looking at starlet glanza intercoolers on ebay, they are about the same length and the intercooler outlets are angled down but obviously not a direct fit and would require a bit of fitting, think they were too thick for keeping ac aswell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:39 am 
Saab Nut

I will be interested to hear how Paul gets on with this intercooler from Germany.

I would also, like razani67, like to know more about the Maptun XT version. Perhaps they need to be contacted since their website gives little information.

In the meantime I have e-mailed do88 to ask if they plan to offer their own intercooler for a 9000 since "their kit is superb", according to Martin at Jamsaab. I will pass on what they tell me.

Although I am sure that big power numbers can be achieved with the standard intercooler, as BillJ says, it is the consistency of that feel of power which seems to justify the better aftermarket intercoolers, as Aerohead suggests.

As for dump valves, as BillJ mentions, I seem to remember mossypossy having issues with an expensive aftermarket dump valve on his car, with all the other go-faster bits bolted on, which were resolved when Saabflight advised him to refit the original dump valve. I have a shiny Forge one sitting in a box somewhere but have been reluctant to fit it since reading about this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 am 
Saab Nut

Sven Rodkarl wrote:

In the meantime I have e-mailed do88 to ask if they plan to offer their own intercooler for a 9000 since "their kit is superb", according to Martin at Jamsaab. I will pass on what they tell me.

I have received a quick response which unfortunately doesn't really help.

"Thanks for your e-mail.

We would really like to do that but our calendar is propped full with other development project for quote a long time now.

But maybe sometime in the future.

Have a nice day!

Vänliga hälsningar / Best regards

Fredrik Johansson

+46 (0)8 588 010 19

fredrik@do88.se

www.do88.se"

Perhaps if a few more of you could ask do88 for a 9000 intercooler and this may change their priorities.