UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 9:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:48 pm 
Active user

So the above car with Jules HT remap, T7 upgrade, 3" downpipe and forge I/C is having overboots issues, it was hitting fuel cut off several times, so as advised on forums I drilled the C port on the T7 Apc to 2mm.
Now its just over boosting all over the place. In 3rd gear at around 2800rpm its cutting off at just over 1.5bar.
Its a nightmare to drive and just not enjoyable right now, what can I do, other than revert to standard!
I was trying to see what base boost was, but cant get 3ooorpm without feeling something will get damaged.
I do have a video of the issue, just not sure if I can post a video on here

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:30 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
I think (awaits confirmation) that if you unplug the APC valve from the wiring connector, that should give you base boost.

What spring do you have in the actuator?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:58 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 9000 aero w/jules-tune
You can unplug apc or when on a drive full accelerator and hold foot slightly on brake aswell will only give base boost

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:21 pm 
Active user

McVities wrote:
I think (awaits confirmation) that if you unplug the APC valve from the wiring connector, that should give you base boost.

What spring do you have in the actuator?

I have no idea, I just bought the maptun recirculating valve and didn’t realise I needed to change springs

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:48 pm 
Active user

Is the apc valve supposed to come apart, came back from my first run when it had done it to find the valve in bits. I pushed it back together, does it need replacing ?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 97 9000 Aero 2.3T
Blimy !, sounds like you have a defective APC valve.
Neos sell brand new ones for 35 quid.

Just on wastegate pressure you should have 0.45 bar base boost. Its its over this, then you will need to lower it by adjusting the wastegate.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 pm 
Active user

Would it be best unsoldeing it until a new one arrives then and then it should just run at base boost?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k Aero
My Aero suffered overboost fuel cut issues many years back. It was pretty bad with Maptun stg3, had to feed in the power gently to get anywhere. Changed to a custom Saabflight map (was having other unrelated upgrades done), fuel cut was still there but only occasionally and quite random. A trip back to Saabflight for a check over. Everything mechanical was found to be ok. I jokingly asked wether the overboost could ever be deleted as the shock through the drivetrain is immense. That wry smile from the guys there said it all :D So the overboost was swiftly deleted along with some little tweakery here and there.
The drive (hoon) back was a right laugh with my new aggressive balls out Stg3 (+) map with zero fuel cut boosting to 1.7bar peak tailing off to 1.3 at the redline.
Should note this was with std td04 and T5 apc aswell. Now moved on up in power little since then and still run T5 apc though, but I still requested fuel cut be deleted, never had any issues or damage caused in that area at all.......just the 13 gearboxes and the odd driveshaft issue ha!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:09 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
T7 valves do come apart, even new ones - superglue works.
Try removing the restrictor altogether, either that or get a 3 bar map sensor and have the boost cut removed.
What is the boost request? If it's 1.4 then you need some headroom really. How long did you try it before you drilled the port? They can take a while to adapt.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:38 am 
Active user

Nelliem wrote:
T7 valves do come apart, even new ones - superglue works.
Try removing the restrictor altogether, either that or get a 3 bar map sensor and have the boost cut removed.
What is the boost request? If it's 1.4 then you need some headroom really. How long did you try it before you drilled the port? They can take a while to adapt.

Since having the ECU done by JulesHT with a 3 bar Map sensor and t7 apc, It was used for around 500 miles, with the cut out thing happening quite regularly.

This last week, I stripped the car down, fitted all new silicone hoses, all the vac hoses, forge intercooler, Maptun recalculation valve, new radiator, did the heater matrix and whilst I was messing I drilled that C port out to 2mm.

Then yesterday I went on a drive and it was horrendous, cutting out instantly, it was like the turbo was spooling up so fast and instantly cutting at 1.5 ish bar. I couldn't even get to 3k rpm. I thought this isn't right perhaps a hose has come off, to find the apc in bits. I pushed it back together, but it is still the same. So 100% worse than it was before, undriveable other than really slowly.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 am 
UKS Veteran

Car Model: '59 2.8 XWD '55 Diesel SW
Take the APC out of the loop (i.e. connect the hose going to the c port either straight to the w hose or directly to the wastegate actuator). Report back with your findings.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:43 am 
Active user

Jules_ht wrote:
Take the APC out of the loop (i.e. connect the hose going to the c port either straight to the w hose or directly to the wastegate actuator). Report back with your findings.

So, c port directly to waste gate, wont go above 0.6bar, 3rd gear 3000rpm is around 0.55 bar
No drama, was nice to drive without cutting out etc

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 pm 
UKS Addict

So that sounds correct. Maybe faulty valve or not gone back together properly.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:08 pm 
UKS Addict

Base boost is a little high, but certainly not the issue. So it has to be your APC valve.

Mark is right about 1.4 bar and headroom.
I had Jules re-apply one of my old maps to my current 9000 Aero and it must have just been spiking to 1.5 or slightly over. Stock MAP cannot read the pressure after that and it was throwing a right wobbly. And massive flames / backfires.
So now i have a boost request of 1.3, and its peaking at 1.4 with no more cut out.

I think if i ever have another remap i will go 3BAR MAP sensor and have boost cut removed. Or put up to 1.7.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm 
Active user

Paul Taylor wrote:
Base boost is a little high, but certainly not the issue. So it has to be your APC valve.

Mark is right about 1.4 bar and headroom.
I had Jules re-apply one of my old maps to my current 9000 Aero and it must have just been spiking to 1.5 or slightly over. Stock MAP cannot read the pressure after that and it was throwing a right wobbly. And massive flames / backfires.
So now i have a boost request of 1.3, and its peaking at 1.4 with no more cut out.

I think if i ever have another remap i will go 3BAR MAP sensor and have boost cut removed. Or put up to 1.7.

It does have 3 bar MAP sensor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Your base boost looking OK, and the car running fine like that, it sounds like it's either the APC valve doing something funny (you sure you had it wired correctly and have the vacuum hoses going where they're supposed to?) or it could be the map (boost/fuel cut limit not raised).

The APC is worth replacing as they're so cheap. And as others have said, the T7 APC valves do have a tendancy to pop apart . Easy solution which has worked for me is just a pair of cable ties crossed around the body. A little hard to see in the photo but should give you an idea of what I mean:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:09 pm 
Active user

ommony wrote:
Your base boost looking OK, and the car running fine like that, it sounds like it's either the APC valve doing something funny (you sure you had it wired correctly and have the vacuum hoses going where they're supposed to?) or it could be the map (boost/fuel cut limit not raised).

The APC is worth replacing as they're so cheap. And as others have said, the T7 APC valves do have a tendancy to pop apart . Easy solution which has worked for me is just a pair of cable ties crossed around the body. A little hard to see in the photo but should give you an idea of what I mean:

I have ordered a new APC valve, in terms of the wiring, I inherited it, so cant comment? The hoses all go to the correct places yes!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:45 pm 
UKS Veteran

Car Model: '59 2.8 XWD '55 Diesel SW
Now run the APC plumbed in (c + w hoses) but with no electrical connectors fitted.

If it goes back to boosting crazy then it's your APC valve.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:30 am 
UKS Addict

Page 162 of the T5 Suite Manual covers the wiring of the T7 valve conversion.
Ive uploaded it here for you, as its not available online anymore.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14RoPLV ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 am 
Active user

Paul Taylor wrote:
Page 162 of the T5 Suite Manual covers the wiring of the T7 valve conversion.
Ive uploaded it here for you, as its not available online anymore.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14RoPLV ... sp=sharing

Thank you very much Paul, appreciated