UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:25 pm 

Car Model: 9-5 Engine for now
So quick intro.
Starting to build Haynes Roadster, and i plan to use B235E recently bought from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-5-2290cc-B235-Eco-Power-Turbo-Engine/133144900911?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 in great condition for 100k miles.....received it today and striped for full rebuild....
With 690 - 720kg car its useless to ask for more than 280 - 320hp.
I dont want to go forged for now, just to have maximum from what i have. I read that B2x4 is more preferable option, but it's hard to find in my country. And if any, they are rarely in good condition.
Trionic 5 will be used, have different sets of bigger injectors, can fit as large downpipe as i want cause im not so much space restricted.....big FMIC as well, balance shafts removal, servo and power steering pump useless too......
Have to admit that i never thought that i will spend so much time reading and searching info about Saab engines, i'm more to italian cars.
But ability go mate engine with BMW gearboxes grab me, easiest tuning without changing hardware......
Still need to ask few questions numbered as follows.
1. Found a man in UK making gearbox adapter plates B2x5 to BMW gb's, but what flywheel, clutch friction and pressure plate can i use - same for the starter motor?
2. Any good use of other Saab camshafts and which?
3. Have almost new GT28RS in my garage, is it good choice instead of TD04 - remap is not a problem, have friend with dyno available?
4. Custom exhaust manifold????....Even if stock is capable enough, i also need as light as possible engine.....and car......any cheap alternatives????
5. Is there any sump mods i can make to avoid oil surge - engine fitted longitudinally and maybe different G forces - can weld alloy, so no problem.
6. Is there any gain in throttle body or intake mod's - had some experience with 5 cyl Fiat Coupe turbo engine(had 2 running with 320 - 350hp with 1 spare) they had bigger TB's????
There will be more question i guess because it's just my first day stripping SAAB engine, but here i start.

Last edited by FERRARIST on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 99L, 9000cse, 9-5s and a Panda
280-300bhp can be achieved with a B235E without much in the way of modifications. Indeed it can be done with no modifications to the engine itself. The basic requirements are a 3" downpipe, a bigger and better intercooler, a TD04 and bigger injectors although this isn't an absolute must and finally an ECU mapped to the components you are using.

You say you can't fit a larger downpipe. This may be a problem as the bigger downpipe helps keep the exhaust temperatures down and they will be higher with the higher state of tune. But with the installation being in the Haynes you may be able to manage this in other ways.

The link below is to the Maptun site for an 2.3 Aero for 285bhp. An Aero has a TD04 as a starting point. They list an updated ECU, uprated FPR, big exhaust and a sport filter. It's acknowledged that the OE Saab filter is more than good enough, as is the OE exhaust from the cat-back for 350bhp
https://www.maptunparts.com/tuning-kits ... 05/mt5/173

There may be someone along who has done the same as you want to do and who can give better advice on things like the gearbox adaptor but you can get the power you want without spending very much money.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:16 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
I've used a c900 exhaust manifold. This keeps the turbo much higher and rotated through 90deg. My exhaust goes straight out the side of the engine bay through the bonnet panel.

Temps are a problem with the fibreglass, so I'll be using a heat shield over the turbo and exhaust.

I haven't ruled out an aluminium bonnet or ceramic coating the turbo and exhaust.

The c900 manifold does present other problems though. It's designed for a slant-4 configuration, and the Haynes uses at straight-4. This would leave the turbo at a funny angle, so I had to make an adapter plate between the manifold and the turbo. This does also put the turbo more over towards the rear and means that the inlet pipe goes over the top of the gearbox with no bends.

The biggest obstical I've found is the height of the engine. I wanted to keep the bell housing higher than the bottom of the chassis so I didn't crack it on a speed bump. This makes the engine very high, and affects forward visibility a little.

For controlling oil starvation I'm going to make a dry sump. Only way to be sure give the acceleration you'll get. And who says 300bhp is more than enough for these cars? :twisted:

I would recommend using the Mercedes 190 radiator from a non-aircon model. I've got a charge cooler kit to fit for mine instead of an intercooler to keep the inlet pipes shorter and also make routing easier at the narrow front end. I also have independent throttle bodies from a BMW K1000(?) to make fit as they are a good size match for the inlet ports on the c/h. Cant help much with the design of that as I haven't got far myself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm 

DeeDub8 wrote:
You say you can't fit a larger downpipe.

O, no i can fit 5" downpipe if i want, no problem....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 99L, 9000cse, 9-5s and a Panda
FERRARIST wrote:
DeeDub8 wrote:
You say you can't fit a larger downpipe.

O, no i can fit 5" downpipe if i want, no problem....

My mistake and eyesight. I read "can't" which is probably some dirt on my screen.

Seems like you've loads of scope without having to touch the internals. At least at first.

Pictures are always appreciated of any builds. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:32 pm 

Any camshafts recommendations????
Heard that athmo Saab's used....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:48 pm 

beardydave wrote:
I've used a c900 exhaust manifold. This keeps the turbo much higher and rotated through 90deg. My exhaust goes straight out the side of the engine bay through the bonnet panel.
Temps are a problem with the fibreglass, so I'll be using a heat shield over the turbo and exhaust.

I plan to use alloy sheets, no problem...

beardydave wrote:
The biggest obstical I've found is the height of the engine. I wanted to keep the bell housing higher than the bottom of the chassis so I didn't crack it on a speed bump. This makes the engine very high, and affects forward visibility a little.

What gearbox do you use??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:51 pm 
UKS Addict

Various options from tuners, Abbott racing, Enem (iirc), but you can also fit the cams from an older c900 for a milder gain. 1987 turbo is in my mind as being the most aggressive year.

Could also ask koenigsegg if they have a spare "free valve" available ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:11 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
I think Maptun also do a few different higher lift and longer duration cam profiles, however, if you are only going for 280-300bhp the standard profile will be more than sufficient. The bigger cams come into their own on the GT 30 sized turbos more so tha than the smaller ones.

Standard cams coupled with a td-04 and 6cm^2 turbine housing will give you all you need for now, with plenty of response.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:53 am 

Just curious - which Opel Omega gearboxes fit B235?......V6 only??
It it straight swap?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:17 pm 
UKS Addict

All petrol for certain, possibly diesel too, not sure.

The harder part is finding a manual box in an Omega. Most were auto.

Most were also the weaker box (R28?), but there was a stronger one fitted to the really high power (R32?) . Not easy to find though as all ebay wants to show you are parts for skylines.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:23 pm 

Maybe last question - i need flywheel from manual 9-5(if Omega GB used) because engine i got had automatic....can i use flywheel from other Saab models????

Last edited by FERRARIST on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:29 pm 
UKS Addict

Interesting question.

I think you are ok to use one from any B2#4 or B2#5, so long as you use the appropriate clutch plate and disc for the flywheel used.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:33 pm 

beardydave wrote:
Interesting question.

I think you are ok to use one from any B2#4 or B2#5, so long as you use the appropriate clutch plate and disc for the flywheel used.

Sorry, i mean that i bought B235 with autom GB and flywheel is useless.....any B2#4 or B2#5 is perfect.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:57 pm 
UKS Addict

99% sure that the outside tooth pitch and centre bolt positions are the same on all b2## engines.

What changes is the clutch plate drilling and sizes. The 9000 has a small and large clutch plate depending on 2.0 or 2.3l and turbo size. The ng900 and 9-3 has another pattern, but has two strengths of pressure plate depending on 2.0 or 2.3 Viggen spec, and I'm not sure on the 9-5 at all. I think it just has one type, but it could have a stronger clutch for the Aero, same as the Viggen.

I think that if you buy a flywheel for an engine, it's safest to buy a clutch to suit that same engine.

There are a number of options on clutches and fly wheels as far as lightening and clutch spec/type go, but as the haynes is so light you may not need to update the clutch from standard. As I've got a bmw box on mine I've got a bmw paddle plate to go with it, which fits nicely with the standard viggen level pressure plate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:11 pm 

Thanks, very useful info.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Merc A200d AMG 7sp DCT
FERRARIST wrote:
Any camshafts recommendations????
Heard that athmo Saab's used....

To be honest, if you going to the Max of a standard B2x5 engine, so 320bhp ish. Then the stock cam is just fine.
However the "Best" inlet Cams Saab ever made would either be from a 9000 2.3i non turbo.
Or a 1984/early 85 900 T16. However this Cam was quite lumpy and peaky. As such SAAB changed it mid 1985 due to customer complaints.

08 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Elite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:33 am 

Paul Taylor wrote:
FERRARIST wrote:
However the "Best" inlet Cams Saab ever made would either be from a 9000 2.3i non turbo.

Thanks, search will be initiated.....my plan is to use stock internals and be around safe bhp limit.....the MAX you mention is way too good for me.....
Anyone knows if crank pulley is balanced with the shaft and flywheel or can be changed with balanced alloy one???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: og93 RWD trackcar
beardydave wrote:
Various options from tuners, Abbott racing, Enem (iirc), but you can also fit the cams from an older c900 for a milder gain. 1987 turbo is in my mind as being the most aggressive year.

Could also ask koenigsegg if they have a spare "free valve" available ;-)

ENEM cams no longer available as they have no blanks left to machine them from :-( Catcams is about your only other option.

You might also have problems with running T5 EMS on a T7 engine as inlet manifolds ports don't line up with the head.

Mini cooper S 240Bhp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:27 pm 

Cams maybe will wait a bit, today cash spend for a very well cared 9000CSE 2.3Turbo '96 B234, plan is to keep engine, electric and everything i can use for Roadster, and sell it in parts.....
Have to admit that i'm very impressed with Saab cause i never had any touch with it in detals like this, maybe should buy one for daily drive......

Attachments:
IMG_20190914_165709.jpg
IMG_20190914_165709.jpg [ 197.76 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]