UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: MY99 9-3 SE HOT
I'm looking to put bucket seats into my OG9-3 with harnesses etc

Does anyone know the resistances of the seat airbags so I can make up something to keep the SRS ECU happy?

I'd measure the resistance myself but don't fancy putting any sort of current through a live airbag for obvious reasons :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Ive done it and nothing bad tends to happen. Airbags are very low resistance, between 2R and 4R generally. A lot of the delete kits come with a 5A fuse in line as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:08 pm 
Saab Nut

I'll maybe give it a go...just don't fancy my next post being a account of how much an airbag hurts when it catapults me across the workshop :lol:

I was aiming for about 3ohms roughly so I'll make up a little connector with a resistor and a fuse...it's mainly for the seat airbags as I'd be keeping the rest of the system so it's all reversible

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:51 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 OG
I've just stripped some OG seats to dispose of them but keep the bits I need. Here you go, not the worlds best multi meter but looks like your 3ohms would be spot on.

Take it you've got some old plugs to butcher for this task. Took me a little bit to realize that they have to be plugged in to measure resistance otherwise the middle pin acts as a bridge. The little spring tabs get pushed out the way breaking the short when you plug it into the car harness plug.

Also on mine the drivers seat didn't have a green plug pressure sensor (presumably because someone will always be driving the car). However the passenger side does so you will probably wan't to fool this also in case it turns the passenger airbag on or off depending on occupancy.

Add in the seat belt buckle too which I presume is just a switch. Sounds like a good little project that and good idea on the fuse wouldn't want a little resistor fire if the airbags ever go off.

I also confess to first trying this outside with the airbag secured to make sure it wasn't going to go off :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:56 pm 
Saab Nut

I have the original seats which I can rob parts out of.

Massive thanks for that post, it's exactly what I was after...I owe you a pint for that, top man :mrgreen: