UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:28 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 9000 aero
I only had an issue with overboosting and hitting fuel cut off more than a decade ago when I was running an Abbott map.

Clio dci

Talk is cheap! Torque is expensive!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 9000 aero w/jules-tune
SaabnScotland wrote:
I only had an issue with overboosting and hitting fuel cut off more than a decade ago when I was running an Abbott map.

Only times i have had issues with fuel cut is when other things were at play that werent right, either actuators or vac/apc pipes ect. As said earlier i never had problems with the jt 3" either and i was running an old t5 valve at the time. But have read of people having overboost problems based on a setup rather than something not doing what it should be, easiest way round it is adjusting map ect rather than find whats causing it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:46 pm 
Saab Nut

jopo001 wrote:
SaabnScotland wrote:

Only times i have had issues with fuel cut is when other things were at play that werent right, either actuators or vac/apc pipes ect. As said earlier i never had problems with the jt 3" either and i was running an old t5 valve at the time. But have read of people having overboost problems based on a setup rather than something not doing what it should be, easiest way round it is adjusting map ect rather than find whats causing it

I agree live mapping on the road or on track is the best way to go if you can.

Clio dci

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:16 pm 

Car Model: Saab 9000 Aero
Any recommendations for places for live mapping with rolling road? I’m Sheffield based but can travel within reason. Also, do they have to be Saab specific (I can’t imagine there’s many left) car is a 9000 aero with 3” down pipe and t7 apc mod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:44 pm 
Saab Nut

mclarke1988 wrote:
Any recommendations for places for live mapping with rolling road? I’m Sheffield based but can travel within reason. Also, do they have to be Saab specific (I can’t imagine there’s many left) car is a 9000 aero with 3” down pipe and t7 apc mod

Maybe contact jules, if he cant help he might know someone who can, im sure he has done live mapping for other before, do you have a second boss for running a wideband lambda? Need to have the setup to do it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:04 pm 
Saab Nut

If you have canusb wired in you can live map using t5suite.

Clio dci

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
Mine has an Aerodyte 3" bolted to a 3 bolt to V Band Connector - fits ok but is very close to the water pump and you must make sure the 3 bolt connector is put on the correct way around, it sits lower in one rotation which is how you need it. You may struggle to get a 3 bolt connector, I know it was quite difficult to get when I did some years ago but it does make fitting/removing the downpipe much easier having the V band.
My lambda isn't in the downpipe, it's much further down near the cat - I haven't had any problems with it down there and it makes removing the turbo/downpipe easier without having to disconnect the lambda each time.
I haven't had any overshoot issues but I have a 3 bar map sensor and T7 valve fitted. You could always take out the insert and then fine tune with an inline needle valve - much easier than trying to do it with varying sized drill bits.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:38 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
Mine is a 3" JT downpipe and is also very close to the water pump ... a V-band in there would definitely help!

The inline bleed valve idea sounds like a good solution, though :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:13 pm 
Saab Nut

Nelliem wrote:
Mine has an Aerodyte 3" bolted to a 3 bolt to V Band Connector - fits ok but is very close to the water pump and you must make sure the 3 bolt connector is put on the correct way around, it sits lower in one rotation which is how you need it. You may struggle to get a 3 bolt connector, I know it was quite difficult to get when I did some years ago but it does make fitting/removing the downpipe much easier having the V band.
My lambda isn't in the downpipe, it's much further down near the cat - I haven't had any problems with it down there and it makes removing the turbo/downpipe easier without having to disconnect the lambda each time.
I haven't had any overshoot issues but I have a 3 bar map sensor and T7 valve fitted. You could always take out the insert and then fine tune with an inline needle valve - much easier than trying to do it with varying sized drill bits.

Saw your post from a few years ago with the aerodyte and adapter so was going for something similar although i was going to steal the 3 bolt flange from another downpipe then use a cone reducer to get it up to the first vband, having the flange still loose on the pipe rather than the solid adapter you have.

From the looks of it i was going to have the first bend starting at a slight diagonal angle downwards but will see how i get on, was also just going to put the lambda in pretty much the same position as standard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: '98 9000 cse (aero) Lpg
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/3- ... -9000.html

Or

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2259621652

Might help you get started for not much money. That's most of the hard work

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm 
Saab Nut

Blinkinink wrote:
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/3-downpipe-saab-9000.html

Or

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2259621652

Might help you get started for not much money. That's most of the hard work

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, will be easier with that ebay one, i was basically going to make one using a cone adapter but that looks like alot easier

...... "sellers shop is closed for holiday, check back later" looks like i will be on ebay again tomorrow then

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 am 
Active user

Car Model: Anniversary 2.3 t
I assume you guys are using TD04's. Has anybody made a 3" elbow for the t25 that still uses the 3 bolt fixing? What about using a diameter slightly less then 3", would that be a good solution? Reason I ask is I can make things like this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:34 pm 
UKS Addict

I don't think anyone would bother tbh. The reason for the 3" on a TD04 is because it's restrictive , I don't think that even running the max safe boost possible on a T25 it's going to be anywhere near as much of an issue due to the lower volumes involved. Not done any tuning with a T25 so could be wrong but that's my gut feeling.
If you can make one for the T25 , why not the TD04?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:56 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
In respect of how close a JT 3" downpipe is to the water pump, here's mine (taken part way through swapping out the pump) ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 pm 
Saab Nut

I used to run a jt 3" so well aware of how close it is to waterpump, always made it a pain trying to get it off and on as it needs twisted, thats why i wanted a vband in there, also gives the added benefit of not needing a new downpipe should i go bigger turbo in the future

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:49 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Anniversary 2.3 t
Nelliem wrote:
I don't think anyone would bother tbh. The reason for the 3" on a TD04 is because it's restrictive , I don't think that even running the max safe boost possible on a T25 it's going to be anywhere near as much of an issue due to the lower volumes involved. Not done any tuning with a T25 so could be wrong but that's my gut feeling.
If you can make one for the T25 , why not the TD04?

I can make it for either but my car has a t25 on it at the moment hence why I'd make it fit that first. The flange dimensions look the same for both turbo's though. I can make a lovely smooth 1 piece bend. Also when I had my aero it always felt a bit less flexible lower down them my CS FPT of the day. I quite like the way the T25 delivers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:35 pm 
UKS Addict

sounds wrote:
In respect of how close a JT 3" downpipe is to the water pump, here's mine (taken part way through swapping out the pump) ...

Mine has around 3mm between the pipe and the water pump, if it wasn't on a V band it wouldn't come off as there is no room to slide it back on the studs! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:38 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9000
Just caught this post today.
I ran a T25 in my 2.3 Thunder Rod for 5 years with great success. I wanted a T25 as spool-up was more important than max boost because top speed was not what I wanted. It never over boosted as I had an ECU from some guy years ago, made for oval racing.
I found an old T25 with a bolt on Output flange which covers the wastegate and has the 3 bolt coupling on it. I made an a new flange which opened into a 3" V band flange in about 30mm length. The 3" downpipe curve then fitted with enough clearance to the water pump for a heat shield. I then had a 3" sliding joint under the sump and no Cat.
I have finished racing now but still have the turbo and exhaust which I can photo next week if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:17 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9000 Aero, 900 Ruby, + others
Sounds very interesting Pictures...yes please.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 am 
Saab Nut

Photobucket not working atm, my welds aren't pretty either

I need to get a drwmmel to clean up some of the welds