UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:15 am

All times are UTC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:28 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:10 pm
Posts: 1519
Location: The wee county Scotland
Car Model: Saab 9000 aero
I only had an issue with overboosting and hitting fuel cut off more than a decade ago when I was running an Abbott map.

_________________
97 9000 aero Holset
08 Turbo X
08 Ttid aero vert
Clio dci


Talk is cheap! Torque is expensive!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 pm
Posts: 1699
Location: Aberdeen
Car Model: Saab 9000 aero w/jules-tune
SaabnScotland wrote:
I only had an issue with overboosting and hitting fuel cut off more than a decade ago when I was running an Abbott map.


Only times i have had issues with fuel cut is when other things were at play that werent right, either actuators or vac/apc pipes ect. As said earlier i never had problems with the jt 3" either and i was running an old t5 valve at the time. But have read of people having overboost problems based on a setup rather than something not doing what it should be, easiest way round it is adjusting map ect rather than find whats causing it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:46 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:10 pm
Posts: 1519
Location: The wee county Scotland
Car Model: Saab 9000 aero
jopo001 wrote:
SaabnScotland wrote:
I only had an issue with overboosting and hitting fuel cut off more than a decade ago when I was running an Abbott map.


Only times i have had issues with fuel cut is when other things were at play that werent right, either actuators or vac/apc pipes ect. As said earlier i never had problems with the jt 3" either and i was running an old t5 valve at the time. But have read of people having overboost problems based on a setup rather than something not doing what it should be, easiest way round it is adjusting map ect rather than find whats causing it


I agree live mapping on the road or on track is the best way to go if you can.

_________________
97 9000 aero Holset
08 Turbo X
08 Ttid aero vert
Clio dci


Talk is cheap! Torque is expensive!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:45 pm
Posts: 17
Car Model: Saab 9000 Aero
Any recommendations for places for live mapping with rolling road? I’m Sheffield based but can travel within reason. Also, do they have to be Saab specific (I can’t imagine there’s many left) car is a 9000 aero with 3” down pipe and t7 apc mod


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:44 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 pm
Posts: 1699
Location: Aberdeen
Car Model: Saab 9000 aero w/jules-tune
mclarke1988 wrote:
Any recommendations for places for live mapping with rolling road? I’m Sheffield based but can travel within reason. Also, do they have to be Saab specific (I can’t imagine there’s many left) car is a 9000 aero with 3” down pipe and t7 apc mod


Maybe contact jules, if he cant help he might know someone who can, im sure he has done live mapping for other before, do you have a second boss for running a wideband lambda? Need to have the setup to do it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:04 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:10 pm
Posts: 1519
Location: The wee county Scotland
Car Model: Saab 9000 aero
If you have canusb wired in you can live map using t5suite.

_________________
97 9000 aero Holset
08 Turbo X
08 Ttid aero vert
Clio dci


Talk is cheap! Torque is expensive!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:02 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm
Posts: 2105
Car Model: 9000 Aero
Mine has an Aerodyte 3" bolted to a 3 bolt to V Band Connector - fits ok but is very close to the water pump and you must make sure the 3 bolt connector is put on the correct way around, it sits lower in one rotation which is how you need it. You may struggle to get a 3 bolt connector, I know it was quite difficult to get when I did some years ago but it does make fitting/removing the downpipe much easier having the V band.
My lambda isn't in the downpipe, it's much further down near the cat - I haven't had any problems with it down there and it makes removing the turbo/downpipe easier without having to disconnect the lambda each time.
I haven't had any overshoot issues but I have a 3 bar map sensor and T7 valve fitted. You could always take out the insert and then fine tune with an inline needle valve - much easier than trying to do it with varying sized drill bits.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:38 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:47 am
Posts: 6417
Location: Queenborough, Kent
Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
Mine is a 3" JT downpipe and is also very close to the water pump ... a V-band in there would definitely help!

The inline bleed valve idea sounds like a good solution, though :geek:

_________________
'98 9000 2.3T CSE, stage 3
'04 9-5 Aero manual, stage 3
'08 Jaguar XFR


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:13 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 pm
Posts: 1699
Location: Aberdeen
Car Model: Saab 9000 aero w/jules-tune
Nelliem wrote:
Mine has an Aerodyte 3" bolted to a 3 bolt to V Band Connector - fits ok but is very close to the water pump and you must make sure the 3 bolt connector is put on the correct way around, it sits lower in one rotation which is how you need it. You may struggle to get a 3 bolt connector, I know it was quite difficult to get when I did some years ago but it does make fitting/removing the downpipe much easier having the V band.
My lambda isn't in the downpipe, it's much further down near the cat - I haven't had any problems with it down there and it makes removing the turbo/downpipe easier without having to disconnect the lambda each time.
I haven't had any overshoot issues but I have a 3 bar map sensor and T7 valve fitted. You could always take out the insert and then fine tune with an inline needle valve - much easier than trying to do it with varying sized drill bits.


Saw your post from a few years ago with the aerodyte and adapter so was going for something similar although i was going to steal the 3 bolt flange from another downpipe then use a cone reducer to get it up to the first vband, having the flange still loose on the pipe rather than the solid adapter you have.

From the looks of it i was going to have the first bend starting at a slight diagonal angle downwards but will see how i get on, was also just going to put the lambda in pretty much the same position as standard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:35 pm
Posts: 656
Car Model: '98 9000 cse (aero) Lpg
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/3- ... -9000.html

Or

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2259621652

Might help you get started for not much money. That's most of the hard work

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 pm
Posts: 1699
Location: Aberdeen
Car Model: Saab 9000 aero w/jules-tune
Blinkinink wrote:
https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/3-downpipe-saab-9000.html

Or

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2259621652

Might help you get started for not much money. That's most of the hard work

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


Thanks for that, will be easier with that ebay one, i was basically going to make one using a cone adapter but that looks like alot easier

...... "sellers shop is closed for holiday, check back later" looks like i will be on ebay again tomorrow then


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 am 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:46 am
Posts: 222
Car Model: Anniversary 2.3 t
I assume you guys are using TD04's. Has anybody made a 3" elbow for the t25 that still uses the 3 bolt fixing? What about using a diameter slightly less then 3", would that be a good solution? Reason I ask is I can make things like this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:34 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm
Posts: 2105
Car Model: 9000 Aero
I don't think anyone would bother tbh. The reason for the 3" on a TD04 is because it's restrictive , I don't think that even running the max safe boost possible on a T25 it's going to be anywhere near as much of an issue due to the lower volumes involved. Not done any tuning with a T25 so could be wrong but that's my gut feeling.
If you can make one for the T25 , why not the TD04?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:56 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:47 am
Posts: 6417
Location: Queenborough, Kent
Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
In respect of how close a JT 3" downpipe is to the water pump, here's mine (taken part way through swapping out the pump) ...

Image

_________________
'98 9000 2.3T CSE, stage 3
'04 9-5 Aero manual, stage 3
'08 Jaguar XFR


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 pm
Posts: 1699
Location: Aberdeen
Car Model: Saab 9000 aero w/jules-tune
I used to run a jt 3" so well aware of how close it is to waterpump, always made it a pain trying to get it off and on as it needs twisted, thats why i wanted a vband in there, also gives the added benefit of not needing a new downpipe should i go bigger turbo in the future


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:49 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:46 am
Posts: 222
Car Model: Anniversary 2.3 t
Nelliem wrote:
I don't think anyone would bother tbh. The reason for the 3" on a TD04 is because it's restrictive , I don't think that even running the max safe boost possible on a T25 it's going to be anywhere near as much of an issue due to the lower volumes involved. Not done any tuning with a T25 so could be wrong but that's my gut feeling.
If you can make one for the T25 , why not the TD04?


I can make it for either but my car has a t25 on it at the moment hence why I'd make it fit that first. The flange dimensions look the same for both turbo's though. I can make a lovely smooth 1 piece bend. Also when I had my aero it always felt a bit less flexible lower down them my CS FPT of the day. I quite like the way the T25 delivers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:35 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm
Posts: 2105
Car Model: 9000 Aero
sounds wrote:
In respect of how close a JT 3" downpipe is to the water pump, here's mine (taken part way through swapping out the pump) ...

Image



Mine has around 3mm between the pipe and the water pump, if it wasn't on a V band it wouldn't come off as there is no room to slide it back on the studs! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:38 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 pm
Posts: 153
Location: Bournemouth
Car Model: 9000
Just caught this post today.
I ran a T25 in my 2.3 Thunder Rod for 5 years with great success. I wanted a T25 as spool-up was more important than max boost because top speed was not what I wanted. It never over boosted as I had an ECU from some guy years ago, made for oval racing.
I found an old T25 with a bolt on Output flange which covers the wastegate and has the 3 bolt coupling on it. I made an a new flange which opened into a 3" V band flange in about 30mm length. The 3" downpipe curve then fitted with enough clearance to the water pump for a heat shield. I then had a 3" sliding joint under the sump and no Cat.
I have finished racing now but still have the turbo and exhaust which I can photo next week if anyone is interested.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:17 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:42 pm
Posts: 1921
Location: PRESTON. LANCASHIRE
Car Model: 9000 Aero, 900 Ruby, + others
Sounds very interesting Pictures...yes please.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 am 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 pm
Posts: 1699
Location: Aberdeen
Car Model: Saab 9000 aero w/jules-tune
Photobucket not working atm, my welds aren't pretty either

Image

Image

I need to get a drwmmel to clean up some of the welds


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB