UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2001 9-5 2.0t auto Arc
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm 

Car Model: Saab 9-5 ARC 2.0t
I’m picking up my first Saab in the morning - car is as per title, a 2001 9-5 2.0t auto Arc. Book figures are 150bhp & 0-60 in 11.0 sec.
I’m planning to drop the sump to clear out any sludge then add fully synthetic oil.
Next will be a Noobtune if possible to circa 200-220bhp.
Is this a sensible route to start with and will the auto box cope ok with this assuming it is in good condition - car has FSH and 110k miles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:05 am 

Also bought a set of Saab ALU55 17” alloys to put on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 am 

Noobtune Stage 1 now ordered and it's off to Abbot Racing for a sump drop clean and oil change next week.

There were a few cosmetic items to clear up - cracked rear tail light and front fog light plus the shark fin antenna cracked and peeling. Replacement parts all ordered.

Within a week it will be looking great and hopefully have circa 200bhp and 360nm.

Thinking about more jobs to improve it - possibly paint the calipers (I like the idea of red but might look a bit boy racer), replace or repaint the wheel bolts and may look at brake upgrades as it has standard 2.0t discs and pads all round. I will look into options for the brakes - not looking to spend a lot though as this was bought 2 days ago to use as a winter runaround!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
Is it a 4 or 5 speed auto?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:15 pm 

It’s a 5 speed auto - car was registered 01/11/01 and its a 2002MY.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:35 pm 
UKS Addict

That’s good, as I believe it’s stronger (can take more torque) than the 4 speed one - pretty sure it’ll be fine at stage 1 :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:19 pm 

Thanks sounds - good to know it’s the stronger box. I hear tuning these can be addictive so may want another upgrade in the future.

Now ordered new wheel bolts as the current ones are looking rusty. Probably not much else to buy now unless a bargain set of winter tyres come up but we’ll see...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:18 am 
UKS Addict

No problem, I think they’re the same as the one fitted to the Aero and as such good for up to stage 3 or thereabouts. For your wheel bolts, get some of these - they were actually retro-fitted by dealers at one point because the rusting bolts caused the alloy wheels to corrode.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:26 am 

Thanks - not bad for £10 and will hopefully give the new bolts some protection.

I am looking into spare keys as well as I only have one key. It looks like getting the blank key and a 3 button head with a transponder in is easy enough then I just need to get it coded to the car? Cost for doing this seems to vary hugely from £120ish at a dealer to £20 for a local friendly garage with Tech II machine.

I will find the parts at a decent price then sound out a few local companies to get an idea of what they charge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:30 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero saloon (MY00)
Each to their own, but I'd recommend aiming for Stage 0 before Stage 1 - i.e comprehensive service to make sure everything (ignition, boost control, hoses, pipes etc etc) is in good shape. Unless of course you have proof that a lot of the components have been replaced within a reasonable time. It's so tempting to go straight for more power when Noobtune is so cheap though!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:48 am 

Thanks Sven - when I booked in the sump clean and oil change I got Abbot Racing to plug it in to their diagnostic machine. It threw up an air leak so they replaced a small air feed pipe with a silicone one and it's all good now.

It's back there on Tuesday for the sump drop cleanout and oil change and I'm sure they will advise me if they come across anything else.

Good advice though as wouldn't want to tune a sick engine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 am 

I’ve now fitted the replacement rear Light, fog light, shark fin antenna and it’s looking better with no obvious cosmetic issues. Has a few very small dings in line with a car of its age but nothing much at all. Very happy with how it looks and only a couple of days until the sump clean and oil service.

I’ll then be fitting the Stage 1 Noobtune ECU. Will be interesting to feel the difference. I’m mainly after improvements in the 30-70ish range for acceleration on dual carriageways on my daily commute.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:58 am 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Word of warning on the ASW 55-50 gearbox as fitted to your car. This gearbox is very prone to failing solenoid valves. Basically, the way they are fitted to the valve block means they collect debris in the cylinders which gets trapped. This leads to the solenoids jamming up over time. When this starts to happen the TCM will drive more and more current to the solenoids in an attempt to make them work which ultimately leads to the TCM dying as well.

Early symptoms of this is flaring through the gears and progressively harder shifts, particularly in to D and R. Eventually it will get to the point where you will be stuck with 3rd and reverse only and it will be a very hard into them. Changing the ATF will not fix this problem alone.

At 110K miles there is a decent chance the car has already suffered and been fixed. Mine died at 67K with this problem. Early intervention is to remove the solenoid block, take the solenoids off, dismantle them, clean them and rebuild them. Follow this with a thorough ATF flush and replacement. If you get to the point where you get a CEL and Gearbox warning light then you will need to do the above (or replace the valves) AND replace the TCM. This would be an opportunity to do the paddleshift upgrade which is pretty straightforward to do. The TCM will need its adaption data clearing with a Tech-II and then driven so it adapts. This can take a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:51 am 
Active user

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Estate 2.0t
Took my 9-5 2.0t to Noobtune, this was the result (With video).
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=186352
It's still running strongly.