UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:53 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2000 93 Aero 5dr
Hi all,

I have been searching everywhere for help on this but to no avail. I also tried the forum search but also drew a blank there.

Have just fitted a do88 intercooler to my OG93 Aero which has a B205R engine. Intercooler fits fine and bumper went back on with no issues but the passenger side undertray will not go flat again. The front part of the tray will attach to the bumper but then, as you lift the back of it, it fouls the intercooler. It looks like I need to cut away a piece of the undertray, but that doesn't seem right as it's supposed to be a direct swap for the standard IC.

Has anyone else had this issue? The driver side undertray fits perfectly and I cannot figure out what I have done wrong. Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:57 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 234r 9-3 nail
do you have it sat in the rubber mount correctly?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:50 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Thanks for the reply jasovanooo, turns out it wasn't actually a problem at all. I had a friend helping me work on my car and as I had a bad back at the time, he was the one under my car claiming the tray didn't fit. Spent ages googling etc and couldn't find anyone else having any even vaguely similar issue. Went under the car myself the next day and realised that if I pulled down on the bumper, I was able to slide the offending lip on the tray past the IC and the back into place and it fit perfectly. Bit embarrassed to have even posted the question now TBH :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:08 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
I found the do88 intercooler didnt fit properly under the SE bumpers which are slightly higher than the Aero/Viggen ones.

The tray was touching the intercooler when all was back together. Still bolted up ok and there was no rattling or other noises from it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:32 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

beardydave wrote:
I found the do88 intercooler didnt fit properly under the SE bumpers which are slightly higher than the Aero/Viggen ones.

The tray was touching the intercooler when all was back together. Still bolted up ok and there was no rattling or other noises from it.

Funnily enough, now it is all secured again, it actually sits better than it did before I put the IC in :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:05 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 2007 Tid vert 93 2000 vert
All's well take ends well.
On a side note karl told me that a uprated intercooler was for stage3+
do you feel any difference.
I was on stage 1 @250bhp and didn't fit my intercooler because of said advice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:23 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
I had it on S1 Hirsch, which is a bit lower than a Karl S1.

I didnt notice a difference. You wont. The ECU is programmed to give a massflow, nothing more or less. All it means is it can give the same massflow for slightly less boost pressure.

I did do a comparison WOT run with and without do88 intercooler on the same map on days with similar hot dry conditions and recorded a 30degC inlet temperature reduction with the do88 intercooler. If nothing else it means that the power is more reliably delivered.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:29 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

databar wrote:
All's well take ends well.
On a side note karl told me that a uprated intercooler was for stage3+
do you feel any difference.
I was on stage 1 @250bhp and didn't fit my intercooler because of said advice.

Zero difference to performance from fitting just the do88 IC. I have also fitted a 3" DP though, so once I get it mapped by Karl again, I will be at 275BHP and 420Nm :-D

(I was also stage 1 and 250BHP before I did that)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:53 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 2007 Tid vert 93 2000 vert
When i spoke to Karl you didn't need a larger intercooler for stage 3
just the downpipe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:00 pm 
UKS Veteran

Car Model: '99 9-3 ex-LPT '55 Diesel SW
You only need an intercooler at the point where the boost is not being cooled sufficiently- when engine temps creep up, knock can set in, and performance can be reduced.

This may only happen on a track day in the middle of the hottest day summer in the south of Spain, or it could happen first big pull after being sat in traffic, or it may never happen as you're never pushing the car too hard for the conditions.

So to reiterate, an IC will never add performance, it will only ever stop performance being inhibited. So you should never notice a decent IC doing anything- you only ever notice when the stock one is not up to the job.

The only reason not to get one fitted is when even under extreme conditions your stock one is delivering undamped performance, and/or when the IC fitted is so large that the lag introduced by fitting it (by introducing a massive volume to be filled by the turbo before the intake is pressurised sufficiently) is more of a cost than the issue you're trying to fix.

I'd definitely recommend a decent IC at stage 1. But then for me a decent IC is a £70 Toyospeed one from eBay (which is every bit as as effective as a big bucks do88). Not sure I'd be spending hundreds on an IC at any level of tune, let alone one where really benefitting from it it is a once in a blue moon occurrence.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:27 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 93OG T5
Jules_ht wrote:
You only need an intercooler at the point where the boost is not being cooled sufficiently- when engine temps creep up, knock can set in, and performance can be reduced.

This may only happen on a track day in the middle of the hottest day summer in the south of Spain, or it could happen first big pull after being sat in traffic, or it may never happen as you're never pushing the car too hard for the conditions.

So to reiterate, an IC will never add performance, it will only ever stop performance being inhibited. So you should never notice a decent IC doing anything- you only ever notice when the stock one is not up to the job.

The only reason not to get one fitted is when even under extreme conditions your stock one is delivering undamped performance, and/or when the IC fitted is so large that the lag introduced by fitting it (by introducing a massive volume to be filled by the turbo before the intake is pressurised sufficiently) is more of a cost than the issue you're trying to fix.

I'd definitely recommend a decent IC at stage 1. But then for me a decent IC is a £70 Toyospeed one from eBay (which is every bit as as effective as a big bucks do88). Not sure I'd be spending hundreds on an IC at any level of tune, let alone one where really benefitting from it it is a once in a blue moon occurrence.

Yo don't need a Hot day summer in spain hehehe, Typical spring day in Spain has 25-30ºC ambient temperature.

With ebay intercooler 550mm x 180mm x 65mm you can reach 70ºC-80ºC of IAT if you boost with a turbo with small compressor, example, stock T25 or stock TD04 15T with 6cm2. Very similar temps with the 550x230x65mm, I think that it is not the dimensions of the core that are important, but the quality of it

I have stock T25 with 360º degree axial + MFS wheel with stock compressor housing, 300 PS mapping, only need two 50-250km/h (30-155mph) to reach these temps... in winter... (runs like a Leon Cupra mk3 stock)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:22 pm 
UKS Veteran

Fair enough, although those temps are probably a function of squeezing that much out of a T25 as anything else! You don't say what temps you get with a decent IC doing the same thing though- would be interesting to hear the difference.

Personally I'm running a TD04/GT28 hybrid giving me 1.6 bar of boost and 320BHP, and don't have an intake temp problem with my cheapy 550x250x65 IC (although it's a long time since I saw 30 degrees in it, and a long time since I monitored intake temps)!

Drop the air con and move the horn, and you can go 550x400x65 with 3" outlets in an OG 9-3, which is plenty big enough (and for about £80).

To go back to the point, a cheapy 550x250x65 is going to be miles better than the stock crossflow IC (or, God forbid, the up and back stock IC on a non Aero!) at even stage 1, and is well worth doing if you can do it on the cheap- but perhaps not if the bill is £500.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:46 pm 
Active user

Hello.

I will tell you in some days.... hehehe, DO88 IC incoming

I can't drop the A/C , I'm living in Spain, Typical summer day in Madrid can reach 35ºC-38ºC.... and if you go to the south..... 40ºC-43ºC....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:05 pm 
UKS Veteran

Hope it does the job you need it to!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:04 am 
Active user

Jules_ht wrote:
Hope it does the job you need it to!

Fitted.

First impressions are very good

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:28 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 900 Ruby, 9-3 Viggen
I’m running a Maptun stage 3 on a OG 9-3 Aero and found that fitting a DO88 had significant benefits.
With the standard intercooler on a warm day the boost pressure would rapidly be knocked back which no longer occurs. I also feel that at this level of tune everything in the system is pretty much maxed out and power delivery with the bigger intercooler is so much more consistent.
The DO 88 is also well made and fitting is very straightforward