UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:47 pm 
UKS Addict

Location: Hipperholme...it's in the Doomsday Book, but more importantly its in YORKSHIRE!!!
Car Model: SAAB 9-3 Convertible
First try Johnsons with a nail brush to agitate it then rinse away as per...if this doesn't clear it then use the Milton Fluid...tablet or fluid doesn't matter it has the same ingredient/properties
As per previous advice...don't use a pressure washer on the roof the pressure from a household supply is plenty to rinse away the suds and an open hose is quite honestly the best policy.
Hope thats answered your queries?
Kent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:05 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3 2.3 Turbo SE vert

that is next weekends job sorted :)

at the minute, water just soaks in to the hood, i have just gone over it with a lint roller to clean a lod of small white fluff off the roof

will try it with the johnsons blue first, as i already have that, possibly got some milton here too

i have got a tin of Fabsil, but, it is the aerosol can type, will have to see how that works

next time, i will be getting the 5 ltr can ;)

MY03 9-3 Vert (The Dog)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:25 pm 
UKS Addict

Location: Hipperholme...it's in the Doomsday Book, but more importantly its in YORKSHIRE!!!
5ltr tin is the way to go...
Johnsons Blue and Milton are both available from PoundStretcher, for...a quid lol
Ive only ever used the Fabsil spray on my golf bag but I would imagine it is the same result wise. You'll just need to be spraying it in an enclosed garage as its so fine a spray it will blow away from your target area with the slightest breeze :(
You do, of course, know The Law dont you? Pictures required ;)
Good luck
Kent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:06 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3 2.3 Turbo SE vert
as an admin on another forum, and we have similar rules.....

yes, i know the law ;)

pictures will be forthcoming :)

MY03 9-3 Vert (The Dog)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:39 pm 
UKS Addict

Your hood will look like this...
During the wash stage, and it does go a kind of furry, peachy finish to the material, dont worry about this.
On the algae...use a nail brush or similar, you can just about see it in my hand...
I always give the rain channels a good scrubbing just because by design these are areas that shift most water and garbage off the roof.
All the best with it :)
Kent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:16 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3 Aero 2.8T
Good shout, Kent - I had tried an (old) toothbrush to attack "Sonja" on her rain channels; but wasn't getting much joy. I'll try the nail-brush technique.

After a 2" paint-brush, to put the stuff on, I use a dustpan-brush to work the well-moistened canvas up to a lather. It comes up a real treat, every time.

Mud, sweat and beers. Or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:57 pm 
UKS Addict

Application of Johnsons mix is by a microfibre mitt in my case, then if the roof needs scrubbing I'll use the nail brush or a bigger Vikan brush (I'll find pictures of it and post them up...)
Once roof is scrubbed up and clean (they look terrible at this stage) then just run the open hose over it until the water coming off the hood runs clear then allow it to get dry (bone dry) and apply the Fabsil with a 2" (or bigger ;)) brush.
Vikan brush for serious scrubbing...

Brush for applying the Fabsil...

And the actual stuff...

Kent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:21 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: B235R 93 convertible
as always top advice from kent :)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:20 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 convertible
Kent61 wrote:
anjum wrote:
A lint roller is also a useful aid.

Cheaper still...sellotape on a paint roller :shock: Obviously attached to the flock then twisted 180° so it's sticky side out
Viola! Yorkshire lint roller :wink:
Cheapest and best waterproofer (IMHO) Fabsil! 5ltrs for £25 on 'net if you search. Best cleaner...Johnson baby bath...the blue bottle one NOT the Lavender one. Renovo do offer a colour pigmented product to bring colour back to faded tops should you require that?
Kent

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:03 am 
Saab Nut

I can confirm the Autogym kit is rubbish. Applied it yesterday and I now have a soggy looking roof with hardly any beading after prolonged rain today. I will give it another coat of proof with a dry roof using a brush. I used a brush first time round which saved spraying half of the stuff over bodywork. Its not as good as Renovo, which I have used before.
I thought about using tent proofer and I wish I had found this post before using the AG kit.

It would be a good sticky this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:37 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: MY 07 9-3 SC Vector
I think you'll find that after any really prolonged rain the roof will look soggy no matter what you put on it. I've used AG the last few years and found the shampoo ok and proofer ok too with some decent beading. Tried Fabsil last month and it beads better than AG but was still soggy this morning after all of the rain. What I like about Fabsil is that it appeared to darken my roof :) whereas the AG stuff didn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:47 pm 
UKS Addict

Beading with Fabsil is entirely dependent on how often you reproof with it and how good a job you do of it.
Mine looked wet/soggy this morning too and youve seen how well min beads...mind you it did bang it down last night :shock:
100% agree Fabsil darkens the appearance of our hoods. However, if you're needing to properly darken or indeed change the hoods colour Renovo is what you need as it has pigments in some of their products :)
Kent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:13 am 
Saab Nut

I might have been a bit hard on the AG product, as you say under light rain or when the car is moving it beads ok. The cleaner did seem good to me, but my hood is in pretty good condition and not dirty anyway, I just want to keep it that way as long as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:44 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: B235R 93 convertible
9-3SEt wrote:
I think you'll find that after any really prolonged rain the roof will look soggy no matter what you put on it.

fabsil doesnt have that effect when applied correctly, heavy rain pours away and really does cause it to bead like the bodywork. have used most products on my vert roofs in the past 15years and fabsil is by far the best product.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:53 pm 
UKS Addict

Washed mine today, as you know I've not done the hood for quite some time...other things have got in the way of car cleaning/maintenance but this is what mine looked like today. Think on it did look soggy during those horrendous thunderstorms of a few days ago...

Lets hope that restores confidence in Fabsil ;)
Kent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:34 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: aero ttid convertible
Fabsil is the best and cheapest. Mine beads with light to heavy rain but as with any canvas heavy heavy rain will soak the roof. Still very waterproof tho. And no wet inside even in the biggest downpour.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:35 pm 

Car Model: 93
Holy thread revival.

I notice Fabsil and now Fabsil Gold Proofer are now available.

Which is better?

Hopefully there is more than one way to find out :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Either will do a perfectly decent job.
You pays your money and makes your choice :)
Please post pictures of whichever one you do use...I still have a 5ltr tin of Fabsil sat in my store's so will be using that for the rest of this season at least.
Kent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:42 pm 

Car Model: 93
Thanks Kent, I was just wondering if the "5 times more silicone" on the Granger's website meant 5 times more than in the original Fabsil.

I'll call them and ask what the difference is.

I am hoping that one application of Fabsil Gold will last even longer than the standard Fabsil.

Either will do the job i guess but i might as well get the concentrated version if there is genuinely a difference.

The roof was done by a friend with the Renovo system a few years back and looked great. Sadly my car lives on the drive all year round and we have some silver birch trees

I will obey the law once i have all the ingredients in my possession.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:07 am 
UKS Addict

Gold is five times more concentrated but will you use five times less? I doubt it lol it'll soak in to the fabric just the same...still you can show off and say you used 'Gold' on it, that's what I'll be doing ;)
Cool! Pictures are always good :D
Kent

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next