UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:55 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 2.0T Aero Convertible
Hi

I am collecting my new car on Saturday, 2005 9-3 2.0T Aero convertible. At the moment the fabric hood is immaculate.

I am wondering how I keep it that way - whether I should only be cleaning with special shampoo and how often I have to treat it etc.etc ....

It will be garaged over night so am hoping that will keep it better for longer.

All tips would be gratefully received as I am complete novice, never even had a convertible let alone a Saab!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:50 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 93 2.0 SE turbo (1999) vert
Hi Jen, Good question which I hope that I am able to help you with.

Your car is now 6/7 years old and it may be likely that it has not been re-proofed since new. The key signs of this are no beading on the fabric after it rains....looks more like sodden fabric.

Dont worry, it wont seep through, as there is a waterproof membrane underneath the fabric itself.

So first up....give the fabric a good vacuum. This will pick up a lot of the trapped dirt.

Next. Use a good quality 'rag-top' cleaner. My preference is the Renovo System...a little more expensive than most, but does an excellent job.

After aggitating the cleaner, leave for 30 minutes.....most cleaners will have a foaming action which will lift off any dirt and grime. Then rinse off with an open ended hosepipe. Not Pressurewash as this will just make the cleaner foam.

Let the fabric dry off before you next do anything to it.

After it has dried, you may see on the fabric faded lines. These are caused by folds in the fabric, when in the boot or by the support bars themselves when up. If these are very faded, you may decide to re-dye the fabric, before you apply any proofer.

Lets asume that the fabric is in good condition...next up is waterproofing. Dont use a waterproofer that comes in a spray bottle...the damn stuff gets everywhere and is not as effective as a proofer which is applied by a brush or a sponge.

Two coats of proofer, applied 1 day apart usually does a fantastic job. The first coat applied thinly and 'stippled' into the fabric. The second coat just tops it up for a longer lifespan and better coverage.

You will now have a great waterproofed roof fabric. like this (these photos are after 4 months of applying Renovo).....

Now down to the nitty gritty of cleaning the roof on a regular basis.....

DONT USE SHAMPOO on the fabric....Shampoo is a detergent and can strip off the waterproofing.

All you need to do is vacuum off the roof and then rinse off with an open ended hosepipe. If you use a pressurewasher, you could be damaging the waterproofing layer.

The waterproofing already on there allow the water to run-off very quickly and leave only a few beads to pad dry with a microfibre towel....so no watermarks left :D

Job done.

For maintenance....when you notice that you are not having any beading, and the fabric still looks clean, vacuum off again and re-apply another coat of proofer. If you did a good job in applying it first time around....that should be adequate to last a minimum or 1 , if not 2 or 3 years if garaged.

Hope that this helps you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:37 pm 
The Drag Stripper

Car Model: 2013 pipe and slippers qashqai
wot he said^^^^^ nothing more to be added

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:33 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: c900 convertible, XJS
A lint roller is also a useful aid.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:08 pm 
UKS Addict

Location: Hipperholme...it's in the Doomsday Book, but more importantly its in YORKSHIRE!!!
Car Model: SAAB 9-3 Convertible
anjum wrote:
A lint roller is also a useful aid.

Cheaper still...sellotape on a paint roller :shock: Obviously attached to the flock then twisted 180° so it's sticky side out
Viola! Yorkshire lint roller :wink:
Cheapest and best waterproofer (IMHO) Fabsil! 5ltrs for £25 on 'net if you search. Best cleaner...Johnson baby bath...the blue bottle one NOT the Lavender one. Renovo do offer a colour pigmented product to bring colour back to faded tops should you require that?
Kent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:06 am 

Great information guys! there is a receipt for Supaguard dated 2007.
I am garaging it and it does look good - I didn't let it go in the rain yesterday (chicken) but will see what happens next time in the rain. It may be a good idea when it looks like a few good days to reproof it.

Thanks so much :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Jen67 wrote:
Great information guys! there is a receipt for Supaguard dated 2007.
I am garaging it and it does look good - I didn't let it go in the rain yesterday (chicken) but will see what happens next time in the rain. It may be a good idea when it looks like a few good days to reproof it.

Thanks so much :-)

Supaguard is recommended, by the manufacturer, to be applied TWICE A YEAR after its initial application. So it's highly likely that it has not been maintained.

So do a quick test of pouring a cup of water on the fabric roof.....if it has proofing on it, it will run off immediately, leaving no puddles and only a few large beads should remain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 pm 

First time that i have had said car in rain and yes - it does need reproofing!! There is no beading whatsoever. I will keep fingers crossed for a couple of dry days at weekend :)

I must say though - there is no leakage inside car - thank goodness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:46 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

You wont get leakage through the roof, as it has a waterproof membrane...thank goodness :D

If you are going to re-proof the roof fabric...pour the proofer into an old plastic container and paint it ono the roof with a new cheapo 2" paintbrush starting from the middle of the roof and work out to the edges. The next coat....apply it front to back, starting from the middle, to ensure excellent coverage.

Looking forward to seeing the re-proofed roof in 'action'.

ps. Get someone to pour the water onto the roof whilst you take the photo....otherwise the water will run off so quickly. :lol:

Good luck :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:48 pm 

It sounds like a lot of fun!! :-/

I hope it stays dry at end of week and weekend so i can do it !!

Thanks! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:38 pm 

I have washed the hood - now waiting for it to dry off a bit - I had already bought the Autoglym kit - it says the proofer has to go on when the fabric is still a bit damp.

It already looks better, there was some algae around the edges that I hadn't seen before ....

Once proofed I will try to get picture :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:10 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-5 - The dark dame
Because it's along the same lines as the OP, Jen67 has very kindly said i can post a picture of my 'vert roof in the hope someone could advise me on the best method to fix it, and also it might give people an idea of what can happen if you don't look after them properly. :roll:
Attachment:
IMAG0186.jpg
IMAG0186.jpg [ 46.92 KiB | Viewed 10639 times ]

Attachment:
IMAG0187.jpg
IMAG0187.jpg [ 34.98 KiB | Viewed 10639 times ]

Didn't want to scrub but if that's what it'll need then i'll go get me scrubber.

saabnoobtune@gmail.com
Now with added Tech2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:34 pm 
The Drag Stripper

if i am being honest,i have used the autoglym and the renovo cleaning products for the roof,and found the renovo was easier to use(however both give enough foam to hold a foam party :idea: while rinsing off.just resist the temptation to jet wash the roof,never a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:46 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Will Renovo get that amount of growth off? Thought i might have to get a bit brutal with it?

saabnoobtune@gmail.com
Now with added Tech2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:10 pm 
The Drag Stripper

should do,soft nail brush will help,think i might have a bit left over,i will have a look and if i have i will let you know,then i can drop past and leave it by your door,while i drive around derbyshire.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:34 pm 
UKS Addict

Location: Hipperholme...it's in the Doomsday Book, but more importantly its in YORKSHIRE!!!
SaabNoob wrote:
Will Renovo get that amount of growth off? Thought i might have to get a bit brutal with it?

Karl,
Shameless cut and paste from a guru...Dave was SwissVax approved Detailer, now retired I believe. I got this info and loads of other money saving tips from him through another Forum.
Of course he's a Scot so nearly as tight as me, a Yorkshireman...
This stuff really does work, you've seen my roof...that was done last year! It was minging before too, water marks, mould spores etc. His tips truely work. Being SwissVax, he had chance to use their gear but chose the following...

First of all I really don't rate any of the "off the shelf" products, they're expensive and not very effective.
So, here's what I use...easy and cheap.

"Fabsil" is your friend. Buy it from camping/outdoor type shops, 2.5lts for around £13.00. Apply to a DRY hood with a 2" paintbrush, avoid splashing on paintwork (it won't damage paint - just messy!)And it does have a "restorative" effect deepening colour and giving it a new(er) look.

To clean your hood:
*Bucket, warm water and some Johnsons Baby Bath.
*Brush hood with hand brush to remove loose dirt (or vacuum)
*Soak hood with water and baby bath - work in solution using handbrush.
*Rinse with a free flow of water from a hose - no nozzle
*Allow to dry and re-proof with Fabsil. One coat is usually sufficient, though a second coat won't hurt 24hrs later.

Green mould? Use Milton baby bottle sterilising tablets and a soft toothbrush. The fluid will kill any mould spores. Mix as directed and apply solution with a nail brush and gently scrub. Leave for 5 mins and rinse off.

Bird Sh*t on roof? Carry a bottle of carbonated water and some kitchen towel, wipe off what you an with paper towel and trickle fizzy water over affected area... the bubbles will lift cr*p out of hood fabric.

Dave

And from later in the same thread...

I've tried pretty much everything available from the boutique manufacturers (ie eye watering cost) to the low end'ish AG stuff and nothing works as well nor gives value for ££'s as does Fabsil...relatively inexpensive, a doddle to use and does what is needed.

I've tried Renovo - it's not easy to get a good and even finish (and when you do it looks "treated" and less than OEM) I've seen and been invited to rectify a few pretty awful looking jobs after owners used Renovo.
I really do suggest taking my advice and going for the Fabsil! If I could find anything else that was as effective, wallet friendly and as easy to use, I'd be letting you know

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:24 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

The mentioning of the baby bottle tablets is interesting......this also works at removing Algae from screen wash bottles. :)

I have seen one or two other products which are excellent at cleaning the grime out of the roofs....a diluted and aggitated All Purpose Cleaner for one. However, it is removing the mould that this will not do. For this to be effective, you have to 'kill' the mould and there are only a few remedies for this...the sterilizing tablets and Dettol work very well.

The main reason why so many people fail at cleaning their fabric, is that they dont read the instructions nor leave it to dwell long enough. With Renovo, what it doesn't say is that if you use warm water it will produce a higher foaming effect and therefore produce improved results.

The OP has bought the AG kit....this does work but is limited in its durability of the proofer, messy to work with and relatively expensive for what you get for your money. However, the sponge you get with the kit is one of the best I have come across for aggitating the fabric.

I agree with you that Fabsil is an excellent product and great value for money...but it is only as good as the prepared surface it will go on. Just like you can have a £8k wax that will look rubbish unless your paintwork is spot on to start with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:36 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Now that's the sort of tips that money just can't buy.

Right, find me a baby!

saabnoobtune@gmail.com
Now with added Tech2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:59 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

SaabNoob wrote:

Right, find me a baby!

Don't forget....You still have to thoroughly clean the roof in addition to eradicating the mould.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:05 pm 
UKS Addict

Willington wrote:
SaabNoob wrote:

Right, find me a baby!

Don't forget....You still have to thoroughly clean the roof in addition to eradicating the mould.

Stick with cars Karl, babies cost far too much! :shock: At least I can give Chunk back after spoiling her :twisted:
Only use the BLUE Johnsons Baby Bath (colour of the bottle), the Lavender isn't the same product...don't know why, but it's not.
Agreed, the fabric has to be thoroughly cleaned...I used a nail brush and was kakking my pants when I saw the reaction on the fabric (it goes like flanellete(sp), all furry) it takes forever to rinse off too. As Dave says, open hose...I just run it 'til the water runs off clear (no suds/bubbles) take the standing water off with a drying towel, water blade or whatever and leave to dry.
My last time I only gave it one coat of Fabsil and quite honestly it doesn't need redoing... I'm just going to because I'm anal like that :loco:
You are going to have to use Milton or a similar product (I've not used Dettol but it must work from it's label) to kill the spores on your (read Donna's) roof. If you don't get shut of those whichever system you use, it will not look 'right' and the green sh*%e will come back.
I'll pm you a couple of links have a read and you can make up your own mind :)
Kent

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next