UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 9-5 mirrors
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:18 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: ‘05 9-5 Linear Sport Est Auto
I am trying to find a replacement driver’s side door mirror for my 2005 9-5. The body colour painted parts are good, as are the glass and motor, but the black triangular section and the stem underneath have peeling surface and horrible white corrosion.

Can someone tell me definitively if the mirrors were changed or redesigned between the introduction of the 9-5 and the 05 model and what the difference was? Photos would be good if possible.

Alternative solution would be to remove dismantle and paint but I suspect that process would take days and I cannot do without the car. It also might turn out to be quite a short term solution as I have no idea what to use to get paint to stick to the metal used (it’s what we used to call s**t metal in the old days).

Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: 9-5 mirrors
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:08 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Find a breaker.......

The body coloured plastic parts swap off easily. Refurbish the metal parts of the replacement then switch over the plastic bits.
As for the aluminium bits, sand/grind back to bare shiny metal then spray with etch primer?

I think the shape of the extremities of the mirrors from early and face-lift models changed but I believe the actual mounting points and electrical connectors are the same....... but worth having it confirmed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:27 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Models: alletsE. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
If you have standard heated mirrors, a pair from a 1998 9-5 will fit and work on a 2005 9-5. Trust me. I did this! It worked.

I think that the external bits swapped with the shark front bumpers. I cannot confirm this though.

If you have autodim or electric fold on your car, things will probably be different.

You can even swap one standard type differnt mirror for another. There will be an "oddity" This will be hard to spot. It will be there though....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:49 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: ‘05 9-5 Linear Sport Est Auto
Hi Si,

Thanks for the info.

The body coloured part are in good condition, it is the black base and triangular bit that are badly corroded.

Because of that it makes sense to me to try to get a mirror without the dreaded corrosion that I can swap the body coloured bits onto. That means finding one from the same version (registered July 2005).

They are just motorised and heated, no autodim or folding, I also replaced the glass a year or so ago with a genuine Saab glass so that (and the motors if necessary) can also be swapped over.

Anyone out there that can help will have my undying love and respect (well maybe not really undying but for a long long time :D ).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:39 pm 
Luger Lout

The later mirror bodies corrode. The earlier ones don't.

My suggestion is that you buy a pair of older mirrors that suit your cars colour, fit them and see if you can sort out the corrosion on your original mirror bodies.

The newer mirror controls will still work the older mirrors. You will be able to adjust the glass via the switch on the door.

The only hiccups happen with autodim/electric folding/memory stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:47 pm 
Luger Lout

I did fit 1998 Silver Mirrors to a 2005 Silver 9-5. When I had a 2005 Silver 9-5. 8)

You will have to trawl back to way back in the day. The pics will have been deleted as they were on PB. Text should still be here.

Any issues with this would have been noted at the time. I hope!