UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:33 pm 
Saab Nut

The current arrangement is a bitumen pad just a few mm thick followed by a thick non adhesive foam underlay. This is 22mm overall thickness but the foam is open cell and compresses with very little pressure. The top surface is 3mm hard plastic contoured to the body. The stuff absorbs and holds moisture so if you have a heater matrix leak that is where it goes. I want to put down a barrier layer between the underlay and bitumen for additional sound deadening but it must be non adhesive so if I want to get to the floorpan in future I can. Any ideas? Alternatively has anyone replaced the Saab underlay, and if so, what with?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:55 pm 
UKS Addict

Hi Razani.

Have just done this all the way through my 9000 Aero. Pictures are in my thread. Let me know if there’s any more info needed.

Has made a nice improvement

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:41 pm 
Saab Nut

I have been following your thread Moonyman. Looking nice and that's where I hope to get with my rescue project but looks like I will have to put major work on hold for a while. Couldn't quite make out what you have done on the sound deadening front, On the doors you seem to have used an adhesive pad similar to Dynamat followed by a non adhesive foam on the door card. Can you give me a link to the products please, What did you do on the floorpan ? Did you retain the existing open cell moulded foam underlay?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:35 pm 
UKS Addict

Thanks. I am really pleased with it and the improvements made.

On the rare occasion I get to use the car by myself the improved sound levels are great. The doors have a satisfy thunk now too.

For the underlay I left the OE stuff and add the foam one as well. It is not stuck down but I did trim a few bits to make it fit tightly. The main cabin was the easiest part of the whole thing.

I bought the whole lot as a kit - the picture you see in my living room is of three kits as I plan to fit to a few of the other cars.

https://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product ... saloon-car

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:44 pm 
Saab Nut

Have spent some time trawling the net and reading blurb from suppliers. My conclusion so far is that I need a 2 part system. A sound deadener directly on the panel and a foam isolator/absorber between that and the carpet.
The deadener is usually a 2mm thick self adhesive pad. Many suppliers with butyl, bitumin or asphalt base or combination. I will go for butyl with aluminium foil top. Dynamat is the brand leader , and I have used it before, but is double the price of similar products and I doubt i would discern any difference. I am inclined to go for Silent Coat. The best price i have found is £23.2/sq.m compared to £41.9 best price for Dynamat.
All installation videos show the whole panel being 100% covered including strengthening box sections. I think this is totally unnecessary and a waste of money- what are anyones views? The thing is a deadener, it stops noise due to the panel flexing like a drum skin. The oem solution is to fit patches in the middle of the panels, door skins, floor, wheel arches etc. I would propose to do the same thing only using larger higher quality ( i.e. denser ) patches over the top of the existing ones. The box sections and the few inches before a welded seam are rigid and will never vibrate.
The oem patches on the floor pan are bitumen based. There is conflicting advice on the net as to whether to chisel them off or patch over them.
They are in good solid condition, adhering well to the body, so I will not disturb them and just patch over them.
The next step is a closed cell foam layer between the pad and the carpet. Most are water resistant and have a vinyl facing. The oem one in the Saab has a moulded top but the foam acts like a sponge. I propose to use Silent Coat 6mm foam isolator over the deadening pads, followed by the oem moulded foam underlay, and then the carpet. Unlike the deadener panels I will cover the entire panel with the isolator. Hopefully the carpet will still sit ok.
Dynamat do a pukka isolator which is thicker and more rigid than SC but is 5x the price!!, and wont fit under the oem one. It is a replacement for it.
Surely butyl patches plus isolator whilst retaining all the oem noise suppresion stuff will do the trick. Comments welcome, particularly anyone who has used SC.