UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:39 am

All times are UTC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:43 pm 
Offline
Shotgun
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 13509
Location: 'Ull
Car Models: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
I've lost my er....

Image

So, I have ordered replacements for both sides from SAABits.

What's the best way to prepare the area before applying the new badges? Thankfully, the A is still there, so I can use that as a template for positioning. As for the template, I'm guessing that building up a locating template off the bump strip using (low tack) masking tape?

_________________
Min bil läcker inte,

den bara markerar sitt territorium


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:47 pm 
Offline
UKS Encyclopædia G-M
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 42016
Location: SW Herts
Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
I have found that the AutoGlym Intensive gets all the old glue off.

But beware! To get the letters looking aligned, you have to put the bottom of circular letters like the "o" a bit below the line.

_________________
.
.
.
.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:28 pm 
Offline
Shotgun
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 13509
Location: 'Ull
Car Models: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
Will, being new emblems, I'd hope they're already correctly aligned on the adhesive backing?

I'll get some Autoglym Intensive though :wink:

_________________
Min bil läcker inte,

den bara markerar sitt territorium


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:47 pm 
Offline
UKS Encyclopædia G-M
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 42016
Location: SW Herts
Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
Yes. If you are getting the whole word. I thought that you might be just replacing the missing letters.

The AutoGlym is good. I put some around a badge I was trying to remove, and thought it wasn't working. I left it overnight and found the badge on the floor in the morning! It's a mixture of things and it seems to evaporate quickly, but some is left.

If you see a residue, a quick wipe with brake cleaner will clean it completely.

_________________
.
.
.
.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:14 pm 
Offline
Arkwright.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Posts: 50520
Location: NETTLEHAM, LINCOLNSHIRE
Car Models: 1984 99GL, 1992 C900 T16, Jaguar XF Sportbrake, FIAT 500 TwinAir
White Spirit or T-Cut will also remove the residue.

_________________
When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:17 pm 
Offline
Arkwright.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Posts: 50520
Location: NETTLEHAM, LINCOLNSHIRE
Car Models: 1984 99GL, 1992 C900 T16, Jaguar XF Sportbrake, FIAT 500 TwinAir
Or try some of this stuff.

It works well and does not damage paintwork.
£ shop bargain :wink:


Attachments:
DSCF2078 (2).JPG
DSCF2078 (2).JPG [ 837.37 KiB | Viewed 1206 times ]

_________________
When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:37 pm 
Offline
Shotgun
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 13509
Location: 'Ull
Car Models: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
Espin99 wrote:
Or try some of this stuff.

It works well and does not damage paintwork.
£ shop bargain :wink:


Bugger!! I've already ordered the Autoglym :lol: :lol:

_________________
Min bil läcker inte,

den bara markerar sitt territorium


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 pm 
Offline
Light Pressure Turbo

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:04 pm
Posts: 322
Location: Berkshire
Car Models: 2002 9-5 Hot Aero Estate
Wash, tar and glue remover, clay, polish, IPA/panel wipe to remove any oils or residue from polish. Apply the new badge and seal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:15 am 
Offline
UKSaabs Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:53 pm
Posts: 17694
Location: Devon
Espin99 wrote:
Or try some of this stuff.

It works well and does not damage paintwork.
£ shop bargain :wink:

I hope you mean th can on the left, not the tools on the right :lol:

_________________
www.SAABits.com - helping to keep Saabs on the road
Discount for UKS members: enter code UKS2019


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 am 
Offline
Arkwright.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Posts: 50520
Location: NETTLEHAM, LINCOLNSHIRE
Car Models: 1984 99GL, 1992 C900 T16, Jaguar XF Sportbrake, FIAT 500 TwinAir
BillJ wrote:
Espin99 wrote:
Or try some of this stuff.

It works well and does not damage paintwork.
£ shop bargain :wink:

I hope you mean th can on the left, not the tools on the right :lol:


I tried the tools but the paintwork is no longer shiny :D :wink:

_________________
When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:28 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:22 pm
Posts: 1114
Location: East Dorset
Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
I may be preaching to the choir here, but if you need to get the badges off in the first place, without damage (particularly bonnet and boot badges) a length of nylon fishing line wrapped around two of those kitchen cupboard dowels makes for very easy cutting through the adhesive. Work it gently, like those cheese wire cutters at the deli counter in Sainsburys (other supermarkets are available).

I tend to put a bit of dowel on each end of the fishing line so it doesn't cut into my fingers. Something like wood or plastic that can't damage the paint if you touch it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:31 pm 
Offline
Arkwright.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Posts: 50520
Location: NETTLEHAM, LINCOLNSHIRE
Car Models: 1984 99GL, 1992 C900 T16, Jaguar XF Sportbrake, FIAT 500 TwinAir
Espin99 wrote:
BillJ wrote:
Espin99 wrote:
Or try some of this stuff.

It works well and does not damage paintwork.
£ shop bargain :wink:

I hope you mean th can on the left, not the tools on the right :lol:


I tried the tools but the paintwork is no longer shiny :D :wink:


The tools were used to remove old badges from wheel centre caps.

_________________
When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:34 pm 
Offline
Shotgun
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 13509
Location: 'Ull
Car Models: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
munchcorp wrote:
I may be preaching to the choir here, but if you need to get the badges off in the first place, without damage (particularly bonnet and boot badges) a length of nylon fishing line wrapped around two of those kitchen cupboard dowels makes for very easy cutting through the adhesive. Work it gently, like those cheese wire cutters at the deli counter in Sainsburys (other supermarkets are available).

I tend to put a bit of dowel on each end of the fishing line so it doesn't cut into my fingers. Something like wood or plastic that can't damage the paint if you touch it.


Good tip!! Now, if only I could find some fishing line (don't think I know any anglers?), and dowels (don't know any kitchen fitters?)? :wall: :park:

:haynes:

_________________
Min bil läcker inte,

den bara markerar sitt territorium


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:24 pm
Posts: 7438
Location: Wigan, Lancashire
Car Models: 99L, 9000cse, Panda, Octavia estate and far too many 9-5s.
Shalien wrote:
munchcorp wrote:
I may be preaching to the choir here, but if you need to get the badges off in the first place, without damage (particularly bonnet and boot badges) a length of nylon fishing line wrapped around two of those kitchen cupboard dowels makes for very easy cutting through the adhesive. Work it gently, like those cheese wire cutters at the deli counter in Sainsburys (other supermarkets are available).

I tend to put a bit of dowel on each end of the fishing line so it doesn't cut into my fingers. Something like wood or plastic that can't damage the paint if you touch it.


Good tip!! Now, if only I could find some fishing line (don't think I know any anglers?), and dowels (don't know any kitchen fitters?)? :wall: :park:

:haynes:

Dental floss can work. It breaks, unlike fishing line, so you'll use more. It's closer to the desperate enough to try anything end of the Useful Tools Scale. Guess how I know.

_________________
Underskatta aldrig en gammal man med en gammal SAAB


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:17 pm 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 5:13 pm
Posts: 292
Car Models: 9-5 SE
You watched a youtube video? :wink:


Almost anything can serve as improvised handles for this, posh dowl is not essential, a pair of spanners (present company excepted) screwdrivers, bike tyre levers, even dining table forks or spoons (assuming the person who looks after the cutlery is amenable).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:20 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:22 pm
Posts: 1114
Location: East Dorset
Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
not 6 wheeler guy wrote:
You watched a youtube video? :wink:


Almost anything can serve as improvised handles for this, posh dowl is not essential, a pair of spanners (present company excepted) screwdrivers, bike tyre levers, even dining table forks or spoons (assuming the person who looks after the cutlery is amenable).


Nah, nothing as glamorous as a YouTube vid. It was the salesman at Southampton Saab when we arrived to collect the car and I remarked that it was ordered with no badges.

"Grab a coffee and I will sort it" was his reply.

I watched him cut through the sticky pads then use a solvent to remove the rest. Took him about two minutes and most of that was walking in and out of the service area to get the fishing line.

I did it myself on another car and needed something to hold the line, so had loads of those dowels you get when you build a kitchen. Easy! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB