UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:04 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 99L, 9000cse, 9-5s and a Panda
I suppose it had to happen at some point, that I would actually start doing more cleaning and polishing myself rather than using the local hand-wash but I didn't think it would be so involving.

I started the slide during the summer when I got some foam wash and other chemicals and that was ok but not going to become a regular habit. I cleaned Roobarb (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=195414) a couple of times this way and despite feeling clean it wasn't going to be enough to get any lustre back in the paintwork. Over to t'interweb...

Rookie mistake was getting a polisher from Lidl. I'm didn't realise it was just a polisher and got very very confused with all the velcro backed pads on the detailing sites not looking like they'd fit. I'm sure it will get used but it became obvious that for Roobarb it was of no use. I need a proper tool. Back to Google...

After much wading through dross "Best ... Lists" that didn't really give any solid info I decided to splash out and get a DAS-6 Pro as recommended on several forums After wincing at the price I decided to use man maths which justified the expense, no problem. On looking I found that there is a DAS-6 V2 which was slightly cheaper and as i couldn't see any difference in the specs on the site I got one of those. It's arrived!

The other thing I find/found confusing was what Stuff to start with. I sussed that it would need to be a "cutting compound". There's loads of 'em. With Roobarb's paint being as it is I wasn't looking for "swirl correction" or help with polishing so I decided I need to talk with a human. So I found one.

I "popped" down to Stoke to visit a place that sold the various Magic Potions and chatted with Jon the owner and explained all about Roobarb. He made a few suggestions and I have some cutting stuff and pads and some polishing stuff to use after and some pads. He said i would also need to seal it after. I liked him and the way we chatted about what I was doing. Well worth the trip to speak to a human.

I'm now committed to the Dark side and have no more excuses for not having a go at Roobarb's paint. Expect tails of blood, gore and missing digits on Roobarb's thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:47 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5 Aero HOT - :-)
deffo need before and after pics!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:49 pm 
UKS Addict

As requested, the before evidence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:08 pm 
UKS Addict

But I'm guessing that's not what you want.
I had a go at half the bonnet this afternoon. I'll let you guess which half.

Thoughts so far: I want some padded gloves. The vibrations/movements are making my hands/fingers feel funny after a short while. It may be how I'm holding the polisher but it reminds me of riding very old single cylinder bikes for too long. I'm sure I'm not doing it right / could do better. But that result is very encouraging and took a*lot* less time than if I'd had a go manually.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:35 pm 
UKS Addict

If you haven't already, I can recommend getting the G3 clay mitt. Wash the car, then clay mitt it - it will feel like glass. The bonnet photos look great.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:38 pm 
UKS Addict

I have some clay mitts. I'm using them prior to the cutting process. The car was washed and de iron ised using Bilt Hamber stuff before it arrived in the lockup. I'm trying to get it as clean as possible before doing the paint.
It's quite therapeutic too.