UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

EXAMPLE- [Car Year][Car Model]: [Brief description of issue]

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:06 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 900 TALLADEGA
My first post so be gentle with me. I’ll include as much info as possible:

I recently bought a 1998 2.0 Talladega 900 auto with a gearbox problem. Every so often when starting up a ‘Check Gearbox’ warning light comes on and the car drives with very low power (limp home). The previous owner explained the issue and a work around which entails turning off the engine and waiting before restarting. Unfortunately it seems to be happening more often now!

There are two problems with this: a) if I turn off the car, it refuses to start immediately. I have to turn it all off and wait for quite a few minutes until it will restart. b) it doesn’t always work anyhow! Sometimes it still shows the ‘check gearbox’ warning.

If I turn on the ignition, wait for the timed dashboard lights to go out, start the car and leave it ticking over for a while before engaging the auto box then more often than not the fault will not occur. Though there isn’t really any definite pattern. Today for example I did the above and still the ‘check gearbox’ light came on. But then I drove for 5 mins (at the enforced reduced speed), stopped the car and then within two minutes restarted the car without waiting long to engage the auto box and the fault didn’t happen. Half hour or so after I did the turn on and wait process and again no problem.

So can anyone give me some advice and information about this problem. Does anyone know what likely causes it, such as a faulty sensor etc, and can anyone suggest where to start to work out a fix for it? I have read that low gearbox fluid can cause this but the fluid is filled right up to the top. The previous owner (6 years) had her serviced every year at great expense so she’s been well looked after.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:38 am 
Active user

No one? :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:14 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3 TTiD Aero 9-3 TiD vector
you really need to get the codes read but from what you are saying, it sounds like the range switch in the top of the transmission is faulty,

trouble with that is they are very expensive, might be the reason the last owner sold the car.

welcome to UK Saabs by the way :lol:

2008 9-3 Sport Saloon Aero TTiD 180

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:28 pm 
UKS Addict

This sounds strange but I occasionally have this with my auto if it has not been used for a while.

My fix has been to stop the engine, and then move the selector from P to 1 and back to P (through D and R etc) about 10 times. When I then start the car up the gearbox warning light has disappeared.

Think it might be something to do with the gearbox selector switches, but never investigated as only happens occasionally.

Hope that may be of some help.

Cheers

- Dave -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:40 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Car Model: 96, C900, 9k, 9-3 & 9-5
My 9-5 does this. It's produced a fault code P0705 which is somethi to do with the range selector.

P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input) from viewtopic.php?f=32&t=71606

Going to have to change/rebuild the thing again...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:35 pm 
Active user

"Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction" wow - thats a serious sounding ailment! :o)

I'm big on fixing things myself or relying on breaker parts. Any tips on how to get access to this (pics ideally). Is there a chance I might eek out a few more months/years by a removal-and-clean type fix?

boxman - are we talking from the engine bay?

gadgetgricey - not tried to do it more than once so might give it your 10x fix and see how that works.

Other BIG issue is the non-starting. When the check gearbox (CG) light comes on 9/10 if I turn the engine off she won't start at all for a while. When I turn the key there is nothing - no click or anything. Guessing there is some kind of disabler or such. It's def not the immobiliser and it and the alarm can be switched on and off via the keyfob but don't affect the non-starting. After a few mins it'll go fine and usually (but not always) the check gearbox doesnt return.

I have read that removing the battery terminal can stop this from ahppening for a while but tried this today for a minute or two and it didn't cure the non-starting thing. After 5 or so mins the car responded to the key and drove without the CG error and again restrted car 3x this PM without any trouble.

Just damn anoying and not a little embarassing when it happens!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:36 pm 
UKS Addict

Jester wrote:
Other BIG issue is the non-starting. When the check gearbox (CG) light comes on 9/10 if I turn the engine off she won't start at all for a while. When I turn the key there is nothing - no click or anything. Guessing there is some kind of disabler or such. It's def not the immobiliser and it and the alarm can be switched on and off via the keyfob but don't affect the non-starting. After a few mins it'll go fine and usually

I dont think that's a problem, it's just linked in with your other issues.
The car thinks its in a gear other than P or N, so wont start as a safety measure.

Cheers

- Dave -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:29 pm 
Active user

Yeah guessed that be the cause of the non-starting but cant understand that it goes okay after a long wait. Surely if there was a mechanical factor like a sensor that was preventing starting then it wouldn't start till it was fixed?

I'm gonna try to play with the auto shift tomorrow - see if I can replicate the problem then fix it by shuffling from P to 1 a few times.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:06 pm 
Active user

flipping

Finally got around to fitting the replacement NRS yesterday and thought all was well but within 20-30 seconds of driving down my road the “Check Gearbox” light came on and the car went back into limp home mode!!!

So frustrating! I guess I could have bought an equally faulty NRS from the breaker but wondered if there was anything else I could look at, anything other than the NRS itself that could do this?

Can’t express the disappointment and I’m going on holiday in her on Friday! :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:57 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Early sensors were rebuildable, later (MY2002 on) weren't. It is probably wear in the contacts check your old one and see if you can get it apart.

What did the breaker car look like? If it was in good nick it might have been scrapped because there was a 'gearbox fault' that was going to cost too much to fix.

On the 9-5 at the minute, if I put the lever in D and the selector display on the dash isn't in D it drops straight into limp home mode. Quick restart and it's sorted but takes a few restarts (or my OBDII reader) to get rid of the engine & gearbox check lights

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:23 pm 
Active user

Yes my NG900 NRS has screws on the base. I will have a look at opening it up but what am I looking to repair inside? Is it possible just to clean up the components or can parts be replaced? I haven't opened it yet so I don't know what to expect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:26 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

I haven't done one either, but it is probably contacts needing cleaning up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:06 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
I have had the Ignition switch cause these faults, including Check gearbox light and NPS fault codes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:56 pm 
Active user

Interesting Wessy, how would I work out if that was the case for me?

Today I have taken my old NRS apart and it was very very gunged up. There are 3 metal connection points inside that sit on individual springs and one was so gunged up it didn't spring out at all. I took loads of pics and will post them up in a kind of 'how to guide' to explain more. Hopefully if I refit the original now cleaned NRS it will work and I'll be happy though I am concerned it might be another non-related fault too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:16 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Yes, Wessy didn't cheer me up either!