UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:46 pm 
Active user

I went to look at an '01 9-5 estate LPT today, car was nice with a good spec EXCEPT for a nasty whining noise from the engine. I started the car fom cold and immediately there was a loud whine (very similar noise to the whining sound the new mini coopers make) coming from what sounded like the pulley side of the engine. The engine looked as if it had been steam cleaned, and was seeping oil from the rocker cover in places. A couple of the hoses behine the cylinder head were wrapped in gaffa tape, I'm guessing to hide a worn hose.

After about 5 min of ticking over the whine went away at idle but instantly came back when the engine was slightly revved (dissapeared again when dropped to idle). The rest of the car was not bad except for the air con only blowing on the windscreen (wouldn't switch to the cabin vents).

Any ideas what the whining noise could be?

cheers

Andy

Last edited by Black93 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:18 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Car Model: 96, C900, 9k, 9-3 & 9-5
Oil strainer blocked, you need a pair of these...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:20 pm 
Active user

as in the oil pump can't pull the oil through the blocked filter and is whining as it's working too hard? Sounds like a sludged up engine :-(

cheers, guess I'll have to keep looking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:21 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Exactly

Black93 wrote:
A couple of the hoses behine the cylinder head were wrapped in gaffa tape, I'm guessing to hide a worn hose.

Hiding a collapsed PCV hose system more like. The whining noise is the pump cavitating as it tries to pull oil past the strainer that is blocked with bits of PCV hose and sludge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:03 pm 
Active user

I've seen a 2.3T that looks OK. Are they much more powerful than the 2.0T? will it be a lot worse on fuel?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:16 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
2.3T or 2.3t? the T or t matters!!

The 2.3t is either 170hp or 185 hp depending on the year, it changed around 2000. The 2.3T is a detuned Aero with 220hp and was only available for a short period around 2003/4.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:08 pm 
Active user

it's listed as a 2.3t (185 bhp). It's got 160k miles on it, is that a problem or should it just depend on service history etc. Does the 2.3 have the sludging issue too?

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:29 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

2.0t (150hp) and 2.3t will all be susceptible to sludge until the engine redesign for the 2004 model year.

As long as all is sound and serviced and the crankcase ventilation is updated and the sump dropped, it should be good for another 100,000 miles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 pm 
Active user

so if all the PCV hoses look in good condition and it's not whining then it should be a (fairly) safe bet? then get the sump dropped and checked once bought just in case.

if sludge is found when the sump is dropped then will an engine flush additive help to clean it out again?

thanks for the advice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:37 pm 
UKS Addict

Black93 wrote:
so if all the PCV hoses look in good condition and it's not whining then it should be a (fairly) safe bet? then get the sump dropped and checked once bought just in case.

if sludge is found when the sump is dropped then will an engine flush additive help to clean it out again?

thanks for the advice

During a sump drop the sludge will be cleared from the strainer and if you have the latest PCV kit fitted and change with fully synthetic oil every 3-6k miles you should have no more sludge worries. Adding any flushing agent to the oil will likley loosen any remaining sludge and block the strainer again.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:52 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Trackside wrote:
During a sump drop the sludge will be cleared from the strainer and if you have the latest PCV kit fitted and change with fully synthetic oil every 3-6k miles you should have no more sludge worries. Adding any flushing agent to the oil will likley loosen any remaining sludge and block the strainer again.....

^ what Trackside says, although 6k on the nail is probably adequate for the oil changes (3k isn't going to do any harm at all though) I suspect if you did go with the flushing oil route and dropped the sump (again) and cleared it out this would be OK, but probably better is to clear out all the bits just using regular oil changes.

Don't be afraid to splash out on a new strainer (they're not too expensive) if it looks like the crude won't move easily

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:05 pm 
Active user

right I see what your saying, flushing could be a never ending process. Is the sump drop on a 9-5 as big a job as on a 9-3, i.e down pipe off and subframe drop? or is it something I could do on axle stands on my drive?

And possibly a daft question but it's not wise to remove the strainer on the oil pickup to stop the clogging problem is it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:12 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

You don't have to drop the subframe but you will need to jack up the gearbox ed of the power unit and remove the downpipe (not a biggie), it's not a difficult job but having large hands doesn't help. You don't say where you are based, but I negotiated a price with my main dealer for the job. Alternatively you might be near Nottingham SAAB and could take it there - it pretty much depends on how you value your time.

Never remove the strainer - it isn't there because it looks pretty, it stops the larger lumps of detritis from reaching the oil pump. Similarly there are some that say punch larger holes through it. Don't

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:17 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Not wise at all!! ;)

And you need new oil seals for the oil strainer pipe etc.

I haven't done the sump drop myself, but it seems to be fairly straightforward on the 9-5. A bit of jacking and wiggling. On one model there are two bolts hidden behind a casting which needs cutting out to reach them.

The upgrade to the PCV pipework is necessary whether the pipework is OK or not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:19 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Have a look at Johno's site:

http://johnossaab9-5.synthasite.com/9-5-sump-drop.php

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:35 pm 
Coffee Addict

Car Model: MY01 Gaylander
sgould wrote:
On one model there are two bolts hidden behind a casting which needs cutting out to reach them.

Like this. :wink:

or the top sump in this pic.

But if yours has the other type like the bottom sump in that pic then you dont even need to remove the downpipe, just drop it off the turbo & let it hang there like this.

& the sump will slip past the downpipe.

The later one with the extra cast wont so the down pipe has to come off.

9-5 sump drop is easy enough, depending on how you jack it up you may not have to jack up the gearbox at all, I jack the drivers side up as high as possible & this puts enough tilt on the engine so as the sump should slip past the subframe. If you jack up both sides so the cars front end is still level then as Robert says you might have to jack up the gearbox side to get the sump off. Not always mind, all depends on what sump youve got fitted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:11 pm 
Active user

thanks guys, great info as usual for this place :-D

I've not got a 9-5 yet, hopefully going to look at / buy on monday. I've had a v plate 9-3 lpt for a year and the big end has just gone (again, 2000 miles after having the shells replaced!) so looking for a 9-5 estate (would be nice to fit my mountain bike in easily). I like the way the lpt drove, just not quite powerful enough. Hopefully a 2.3t would be a little easier to drive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:37 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

our 2,3 185bhp is perfectly acceptable. It is a big car but goes well. Best spec is leather and auto. IMHO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:45 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: alletsE. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
Robert wrote:
our 2,3 185bhp is perfectly acceptable. It is a big car but goes well. Best spec is leather and auto. IMHO

Ha! Robert! Beat ya!!

My 2.3 260bhp is more than acceptable! :D

Hellga might be tweaked a bit...You just never know!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:56 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

At 260 horses Si, it ain't standard...