UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

EXAMPLE- [Car Year][Car Model]: [Brief description of issue]

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:13 am 

Hello everybody. :)

I own a used 9-3 vector (year 2006) for a year now. I really had no problems at all. Recently I'm having every now and then problems with central locking (or maybe the key, still need to figure out). This always happens in the morning and in specific hour (i guess this is only a coincidence) and every 8 to 10 days. Locking the car with the switch doesn't work and finally does after several trials. Sometimes I re-open the door and close it back and then locks. I had no notice for a flat battery in my key so that I replace it. Then, trying unlocking it after 20 minutes it's not working. I need to try several times to work. Once,because it was not getting unlocked, I pulled out the key from the cover and opened the car manually from passenger's door. Of course the alarm started but the central locking worked fine.Then, parking the car elsewhere and locking it was working perfect. I keep having with me my second brand new key in case of a problem. I changed the battery in that brand new key (because of no use at all and thought maybe it's gone flat) and tried it while having problem with my old key. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't react either.
I'm thinking the problem is on the central locking system. Weird thing is that this happens a specific time in the day. Everything works perfect for a week or 10 days and then the problem comes back again and maybe for 2 days continuously. What the problem might be? I contacted the dealer since i have 1-year warranty and insisted the problem it might be on the key. I explained that I also used the new key and the problem insists and he was the one who recommended replacing the battery in the key firstly and then investigate the problem. I'm not convinced though.
Thanks for reading me guys! Any clue on the above matter is appreciated!
adam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 06 9-3 150TiD vert
Does it always happen at the same place, and nowhere else?

I've had this happen twice, on a previous car, once on my own drive, the remote just didn't work. But it also affected my next door neighbour's car at the same time. The second time was in a carpark, and the car next to me was the same.

So if it happens again, try to check another nearby car!

Hope this helps

Malcolm

2nd car 500cc JZR sports 3 wheeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:36 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

adams wrote:
...Sometimes I re-open the door and close it back and then locks...

Hello and Welcome.

I think the 9-3 does have door lock gremlins, usually due to slight corrosion occurring on the connector block that plugs into the edge of the driver's door. First thing to try would be to unplug this connector and give it a clean out, then observe the results over the next few days.

I have some occasional issue with my central locking, but usually on unlock - all but the drivers locks will open.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:39 am 

yes, it's always at the same place... don't remember if it happened anywhere else... I did not notice any other saab parked around though...
And it's always in the morning. It's weird because I have no other problems with the car and I'm completely happy (for the time being).But how can it be affected by other cars? hmmm
Thanks Malcolm! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:43 am 

Thanks Yardman! But where on the door this connector is located? I personally think is just a coincidence that two times it happened to re-open the door and close it back and it worked...
I have no idea:-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

If you open the door wide - near the bottom, between the body and the door you'll see the door loom wiring encased in a plastic sleeve. It then has a big connector (almost like a SCART) that is plugged into the door.

Unplug this connector and give both sides of the connection a clean, it's been suggested electrical contact cleaner works best. I'm lazy and haven't actually done this yet, but will get round to it... honest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:01 am 

thanks so much for the help! I will give this a try and see if it works right with the locking. It's the first time I own a European car and I'm always alert for any problem that might come up. I love my Saab though:-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:37 am 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Don't break the connector. You need to prise the top up with a screwdriver. This is a wedge. As you pull it further up the connector comes apart. When the driver's door is open have a look at the same connector in the back door hinge behind you. On our car the rear connector wedge is red and you can wee which parts are different and move. The front connector on our car is all black, including the wedge.

If you need more info, I have some photos at home of the connector coming apart. I can post this evening if you need them.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:09 am 

thanks! Well, if you want to post them I would appreciate it. Otherwise the info you gave me is precious anyway!:-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:28 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

OK. Three from the back door (red latch) One from the front (black latch) but same method as the back door.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:02 pm 

thanks man! I got them, thank you so much!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:28 am 

That is quite troublesome adams. Well, my uncle had also experienced this kind of problem but not as worst like the one adams did on his lock. My uncle had to bring his car to a mechanic and check on it. The only thing why my uncle's car is malfunctioning is because the door lock switch is already busted so the mechanic had to replace it. After that, the lock is working properly already. Thank to sgould for sharing pictures, it would be helpful the next time my uncle had a problem on his locks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:42 pm 

I also have the same problem ,not long got the car now problem has began with central locking. Once when came out of work and would not open using remote had to use key but set off alarm ,started car ok ,got home to find remote working again .Two days later taking my daughter home opened ok traveled 5 miles locked car went in her house for 5 mins came out to find remote would not work again used key set off alaem started went home and found remote working again ,have changed batteries for new ones I am stumped is this a common fault and can it be fixed it is a 93 vector on a 05 plate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 am 

Car Model: 2003 93 vector 2.2.tid
Hi,

My 2003 93 vector has this fault :( and it's really anoying!
Anybody have pics on accessing and checking the Central locking connectors in the doors as this thread is a little old the pics don't work anymore.
Also when I use the key in the passengers door to gain access sometimes the key-way just spins :wall: any ideas why?
Changed batteries in both fobs but no effect.
Any advice welcomed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 am 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Welcome! :)

I'll try and remember to post the pictures when I get back to my computer, later today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Here's the photos again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:33 am 

Car Model: 2003 93 vector 2.2.tid
That's great, Thank you. :D
I presume I just disconnect each plug in turn and spay both parts with electrical contact cleaner?