UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:01 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Car Models: 96, C900, 9k, 9-3 & 9-5
I appear to have a parasitic battery drain of about 150mA. Pulling the Engine management system fuse drops this to a more respectable 40mA.
Once the car is parked for more than 2 days it needs a boost start. I've left it for a bit with everything off and it's dropped to 56mA so...
Is there anything on that circuit that might cause the drain?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:06 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
Is the ignition barrel definitely popping up when the key is removed?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: '09 9-5 Turbo Edition St3 Noob
Robert wrote:
I appear to have a parasitic battery drain of about 150mA. Pulling the Engine management system fuse drops this to a more respectable 40mA.
Once the car is parked for more than 2 days it needs a boost start. I've left it for a bit with everything off and it's dropped to 56mA so...
Is there anything on that circuit that might cause the drain?

I've not tested mine, but 56mA is where I'd reckon it should be.

Sure you haven't got a dead cell in the battery?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:23 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '04 9-5 Aero est., '97 9K Aero
Is there an OBD transmitter in the diagnostic socket? I nearly killed mine a couple of times before I realised these pull power whenever they’re plugged in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:54 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Thanks everyone. Might be some issues with the radio (aftermarket)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:59 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 89 900 t16s type 8s
My money is on the Amplifier (ice) it was/is on mine, you will know
if it's the right fuse you pulled if your code reader doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:12 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

rpd900t16s wrote:
My money is on the Amplifier (ice) it was/is on mine, you will know
if it's the right fuse you pulled if your code reader doesn't work.

The wierd thing is sometimes the radio is on when I get in the car next, evem though I turned it off when I parked up!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:54 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
What's the make of theaftermarket radio? What are you using for the ignition feed source?

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:06 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Permanently live, Will. I always have my radios wired like that. I'm hoping it's not that!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
You'll need to check, but wiring it that way may leave the trigger wire to the amp and aerial amp live. Depends on how the trigger is wired inside the radio. If it's connected directly to the ignition feed and not switched internally, it will be live all the time.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:35 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

sgould wrote:
You'll need to check, but wiring it that way may leave the trigger wire to the amp and aerial amp live. Depends on how the trigger is wired inside the radio. If it's connected directly to the ignition feed and not switched internally, it will be live all the time.

I had this issue with Edna and from memory used the aerial lead to trigger the amp. Elton has been OK until recently, but was OK this morning....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:07 pm 
UKS Addict

Head unit should always used a switched and permanent live, as above when the switched feed turns off this triggers the aerial/powered amp to shut down.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:12 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

On Edna, I used the blue 'ariel' wire from the radio to switch the amp on. Elton (2002) I don't think has an amp (AS2)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:54 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
Robert wrote:
Permanently live, Will. I always have my radios wired like that. I'm hoping it's not that!

Whilst I appreciate that you like your radio wired that way the manufacturer may not have designed it to be used as you have wired it. Some head units are expected to have the switch left in the on position and use the switched power supply to wake it up, quite likely with a navigation head unit. Some units may designed such that applying the switched power directly switches the amplifier and aerial even if the head unit is off, unfortunately they will rarely tell you such things.

The original Saab head unit didn't work that way, the switching being controlled by DICE/TWICE, can't remember which, with the intention of protecting the battery. The effect is that whatever head unit you fit is going to behave differently from the original.

Some years ago the garage that was servicing my car flattened the battery by using the radio with the engine off. They corrected the problem and issued an instruction not to use vehicle radios. The point however is that the use of a switched feed to the head unit is there to protect the battery and preserve charge for starting the engine. If you wire the head unit differently from the way the manufacturer intended it won't behave the way they intended either. You seem to be finding out the hard way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:31 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 2005 9-5 Aero
As above, it'll be because the switched 12v is wired to constant 12v and the radio isn't going to sleep. On the 9-5, there's a wire that feeds the headlight switch that can be used as that is only live when the key is in the off position. AS2 and AS3 systems both have amps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:47 am 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

lancer778544 wrote:
As above, it'll be because the switched 12v is wired to constant 12v and the radio isn't going to sleep. On the 9-5, there's a wire that feeds the headlight switch that can be used as that is only live when the key is in the off position. AS2 and AS3 systems both have amps.

I haven't had a chance to look at this recently. Elton (2002) seems to be running fine, but Edna (2006) is as dead as a dodo atm. (tbh I have no idea how old either battery is)
I had both radios in my daughter's Punto before and neither caused an issue. (they're nothing fancy, just radios with bluetooth and USB/Aux inputs)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:22 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
Robert wrote:
lancer778544 wrote:

I haven't had a chance to look at this recently. Elton (2002) seems to be running fine, but Edna (2006) is as dead as a dodo atm. (tbh I have no idea how old either battery is)
I had both radios in my daughter's Punto before and neither caused an issue. (they're nothing fancy, just radios with bluetooth and USB/Aux inputs)

Just because the radios worked in one car is no guarantee that they will do so in another, especially if you insist on not connecting them as the manufacturers intended. It could be that the way you have connected the radio is stopping something else from shutting down. Something that is absent from the Punto.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:41 am 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

I'll try disconnecting the radios and see if that works or possibly just the permamently live feed (no loss as once the battery is flat they lose their station memory) A pity that neither have sleep functions - which was the only useful thing with the Denso unit in Edna!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:10 am 
UKS Addict

What make and model are these radios?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:32 am 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

One is a Pioneer MVH-350BT and the other a Kenwood KDC-BT43U