UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:04 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
Anyone with a NG 9-5 knows that opening the boot after rain results in water running off the boot lid into the boot. The reason is that the light bar had a sizeable gap behind it and water can, and does collect particularly at the ends. Open the boot and that water runs along the bottom of the light bar and drips into the boot. The answer is actually very simple, if a pain to do. Remove the light bar and clean the surface of the boot lid underneath then run a 1/4" or so bead of sealant along the edge where the top of the light bar sits. Ideally let the sealant cure before refitting the light bar.

I used some black tape to seal the gap temporarily before taking the step of using sealant, black in my case as the car is black, and I didn't have any water dripping into the boot.

Cost? About £4 for the sealant from Wickes (https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-All-Purpose-Silicone-Sealant---Black-310ml/p/156757) and about an hour to remove the light bar plus another £6 for the bent nose pliers (https://www.diy.com/departments/magnusson-6-bent-long-nose-pliers/1782644_BQ.prd) needed to release the clips on the end of the light bar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 am 
UKS Addict

Well I'm glad no one appears to have copied my solution, it doesn't entirely work! There is less water dripping but, unless the gap is completely sealed some still finds its way behind the light bar. If the gap is completely sealed getting the light bar off becomes a wrestling match with the sealant. Back to the drawing board.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:44 pm 
Shotgun

Car Models: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
GeoffR wrote:
Well I'm glad no one appears to have copied my solution, it doesn't entirely work! There is less water dripping but, unless the gap is completely sealed some still finds its way behind the light bar. If the gap is completely sealed getting the light bar off becomes a wrestling match with the sealant. Back to the drawing board.

What if you were to apply a small bead of sealant, uniformly, but enough to fill gaps when compressed during refitting, around the entire "aperture" and allow it to go off before refitting the light bar, then apply some petroleum jelly between the bead and body when fitting?

I've no idea how the unit fits the boot lid, so this is just to put something out there?

[edit] Looking at EPC, there's a gasket kit available (13321835) for the number plate/rear light? SAABits lists them, but back order from Sweden by the looks of it?
https://www.saabits.com/saab-original/s ... gasket-set

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 26.57 KiB | Viewed 352 times ]

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:13 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Shalien wrote:
Looking at EPC, there's a gasket kit available (13321835) for the number plate/rear light? SAABits lists them, but back order from Sweden by the looks of it?

Deleted. Just haven't got round to saying so on the web-site.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:20 am 
UKS Addict

The gaskets stop water getting into the boot lid through the holes for the fasteners, there are alternatives available but that isn’t the problem. Your first suggestion actually works but the clearance at the critical point is very small making it difficult to get sealant applied correctly.

I started by closing the gap at the top with tape and that worked reasonably well even though it wasn’t pretty. Sealant works but the mating surface to the light bar isn’t even and the surface area that needs to seal is small. I think sealant on the light bar may be the answer, as the boot lid is a better seal depressor. I need to fix the lights first though. Then I’ll have another try.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:20 pm 
Shotgun

GeoffR wrote:
The gaskets stop water getting into the boot lid through the holes for the fasteners, there are alternatives available but that isn’t the problem. Your first suggestion actually works but the clearance at the critical point is very small making it difficult to get sealant applied correctly.

I started by closing the gap at the top with tape and that worked reasonably well even though it wasn’t pretty. Sealant works but the mating surface to the light bar isn’t even and the surface area that needs to seal is small. I think sealant on the light bar may be the answer, as the boot lid is a better seal depressor. I need to fix the lights first though. Then I’ll have another try.

Further suggestion? Black Gutter Sealant?

Despite the usual sealants being designed to deter fungal growth etc., this is designed for constant wet environments, and maintaining a seal. :corn:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:26 pm 
Shotgun

GeoffR wrote:

Another thought? If you were to use silicone sealant, tape off the surrounding area with masking tape. Once the light bar is fitted, wipe away excess with Acetone, as you would with a kitchen worktop joint. After removing the masking tape, clean again with Acetone.

You will need to seriously treat the surrounding area with polish etc., afterwards I'd expect?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:29 am 
UKS Addict

As I said, silicon sealant, applied before fitting the light bar works but, if it hasn't cured enough, it can glue the light bar in place. With the gap at the top closed, either with tape or sealant, the water dripping into the boot is much reduced but some water still gets behind the light bar. I don't want to completely seal the space because that will encourage corrosion if it isn't completely dry. I need better weather before I have another go at it, then I am considering a strip of closed cell foam along the top if the light bar. I'll report back once I have had another go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:20 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate Noob Stg 1
Could you not just use a non setting mastic around the fixings, something like:
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/carav ... lant-white
I have used non setting gutter sealant on similar thing before, mainly because it was what was to hand at the time, even Plumbers Mait. It all seemed to work and was removable later.

'03 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 9-3 2.0t SE Vert Auto
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:51 pm 
UKS Addict

TWSaab wrote:
Could you not just use a non setting mastic around the fixings, something like:
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/carav ... lant-white
I have used non setting gutter sealant on similar thing before, mainly because it was what was to hand at the time, even Plumbers Mait. It all seemed to work and was removable later.

It would probably work but I need the actual body of the light bar clean, at least until I have got it working properly again, which rather rules out non-setting sealants for now. One other concern is that black cars get very hot in the sun and I wouldn't want the sealant to run! For the same reason white sealant probably isn't ideal, but I guess it comes in other colours.