UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:09 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:04 pm 

Car Model: 93 1.9 Estate + 93 Convertible
Having joined the forum the other day I thought I'll share some experience regarding the often sticking rear wiper motors on the gen 2 9-3 estate (2004-2011) I've owned two, both of which were not working, and a replacement off fleaBay was also stuck! You'd know how annoying it is, especially this time of year!

There seem to be a design flaw with them letting water seep into the wiper shaft, corroding and seizing up.

The way to fix them is:

Make sure to take wiper blade off first. I undo the 13mm nut a turn and gently lever the blade off. Might be stuck so put a bit of cloth under to not damage the rear window glass! Wind the nut back on the motor.
Remove covers torx head bolts (don't remember size) and a pair of clips on extremeties just below window line.
Take electric motor off bootlid. 10mm nuts if remember right.
Once motor is off. Remove 8 little torx bolt holding black plastic back cover. Take care not to lose any.
Once split, you'd probably want to clean all the built up gunk and mucky goo. Spray a generous amount of WD40 and let it soak for a bit. Shaft side down.
At this stage it really helps to have a vice to grab it in. With wiper nut on threads, hold the shaft in the vice (do not tighten direct on threads or they will damage!) and gently try to move the motor from side to side to break corrosion. it will ONLY move a fraction as its a worm gear!! DON'T force it!
Once it's got a bit of movement, out of vice, nut off. Gently tap the shaft out, it will go slide up in the direction of the white nylon gears. Do not try to force the link arm off. It is connected to the shaft.
Once out, thoroughly clean any crud off the shaft and its housing. Rag would do. Doesn't need anything abrasive. and rub clean grease on the shaft. A bit more is better than less as it will help prevent water ingress.
Refit, re-grease nylon gears and worm drive. (I like to pack it in. won't do any harm).
Plug back into car and it should work. Test it first BEFORE re-fitting everything else.

In my experience this is the easiest way of doing it and worked on all the motors i had. x2 cars x1 spare.

If you're fairly local (I'm in Glastonbury, Somerset) I'll be happy to fix it for you for a cup of coffee and a couple of biscuits if it means another Saab stays on the road :)