UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 93SS , BMW X5 4.4
My Nephew has my old 2004 Saab 95 2.2TiD Estate and is having all sorts of problems with it. It appears that his mechanic is not up to scratch with Saabs and is mystified as to the problem. Is there any member in the area who would be prepared to help him diagnose the problem.?

As they are a young family with the usual financial constraints of living in the South any assistance would be gratefully received

Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:53 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: saab 95
Is it engine light and limp mode if so replace all the vac lines with 3mm silicone and clean out egr dead easy for anyone to do just need an 8mm socket some pliers and some silicone pipe..and some brake cleaner..you tube is your friend if you ha e no idea what I'm talking about lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:05 pm 
Active user

dieselderv wrote:
Is it engine light and limp mode if so replace all the vac lines with 3mm silicone and clean out egr dead easy for anyone to do just need an 8mm socket some pliers and some silicone pipe..and some brake cleaner..you tube is your friend if you ha e no idea what I'm talking about lol

Thanks. I'll be talking to him later to get the full symptoms. I can talk him through the EGR and pipe replacement. It started last week with the car not revving and heavy steering but his mechanic whose abilities I'm not too confident about started by telling him that it was either a £30 sensor or the timing chain having 'Jumped', so I'll get a definitive description of the problem when he gets home. His nearest Saab Independent is about 27 miles away but it may be worth his while to call on them.
By the way No CEL showing when it occurred.

Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:16 pm 
Active user

I've now spoken to my Nephew and he says that as he was driving he suddenly had no revs and the steering became very heavy. His mechanic has said that a diagnostic check has thrown up code P0017 Crank position sensor or timing chain jumping! (According to my list it only refers to the crank position sensor).

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:35 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
The fault P0017 seems to be due to the high pressure fuel pump not running correctly...could be timing chain,the pump itself or fuel supply blockage.
The Saab WIS troubleshooting says to make sure there is plenty of fuel and then to change the fuel filter.
I believe the CPS is integrated within the pump itself so to change the sensor you need to change the pump unfortunately.
Also the main ECU is integrated with the fuel pump so its a difficult job to tackle if you need to change it.
I notice in the parts for sale section on here there is some one breaking a D223L Diesel which may help.
With luck its a blocked filter....
There may be other fault codes but you really need a Tech2 hook up to investigate further.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:50 pm 
Active user

Thanks. He will have read this by now. I just hope he can get it sorted.

Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:47 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Alfa
To see if the pumps knackered just put a direct feed of fuel into it.
I used a a rubber tube onto the metal pipe which takes the fuel into the pump ( cant remember which pipe it was but just get under the car and follow the pipe out of the fuel filter) then had a funnel of the other end of the tube and had someone pour diesel into the funnel and then mine fired and started.
Ive done it a couple of times , i also used an empty plastic bottle hanging from the open bonnet full of dieslel with the rubber pipe from that going into the pump ...
If you put a direct feed into the pump and it works then it will rule out fuel blockage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 pm 

Car Model: 95 2.2 TiD Vector
Howdy

I'm the nephew (hi Uncle G!) and after much faffing/chasing, my mechanic (v good usually, but also v busy, and not experienced with Saabs) tried some easy start and it fired, so it's not the timing chain as he feared.

He's going to try to look at the pump/filter "if he can get to it without lowering the tank" - it's through a panel under the seats isn't it?

I think part of his reluctance (he's not had it on the ramp yet - it's still where the AA left it, and he had the codes read and seemed to give up on it!) is due to him not wanting people to spend money unnecessarily because "it's not worth it given the value of the car". I do appreciate the thought, but I can't afford another at the mo, and I actually really like driving the car - it's been perfect for me and my commute (80 mile round trip every day), not to mention the back ache having all but disappeared!

Ideally it will just be a filter/some simple blockage, but if it is the pump, any how much should I expect to be paying to replace?

Thanks in advance (and for the ideas above!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:45 pm 
Saab Nut

There isnt a pump in the tank the pump is on the engine.
Its a bosch unit VP44 which sucks the fuel to the engine and is pictured in a post above.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 pm 

SE_chap wrote:
There isnt a pump in the tank the pump is on the engine.
Its a bosch unit VP44 which sucks the fuel to the engine and is pictured in a post above.

Thanks SE_chap - that seems less daunting/potentially expensive.

Not had to pay a lot of attention to my cars' inner workings before, but I'm getting the feeling I'm going to be learning a lot more if I can get this one back on the road!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:58 pm 
Saab Nut

If its the pump which is highly likely to be the problem your only option is a recon pump which im guessing is about £500 plus fitting, there's 2nd hand on ebay for 350 but its a false economyas its likely to go aswell and you're back to square1.
Youd best start emailing places to see how much a recon is ...

The pump is a delicate piece of engineering and the achilles' heel of the Saab and older models of the Ford Transit, i had one go then i decided to put a 2nd had 1 in and after 6 months that went too with ( i think) error code P1222 Internal Pump Rattle, whereas your P0017 is uneven Pump Rotation

Last edited by SE_chap on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:10 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 p/white 9-5 s/grey
cps is on the bottom right in the block as you look at it 90540188 p/n its worth changing it and a good low cost place to start

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:50 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
P0117 is a high pressure pump fault ...not enough fuel is being delivered referencing the camshaft position sensor which I believe is part of the pump itself(as in the pic above),so indicates a mechanical fault with the pump or fuel restriction (filter).
Whilst changing the crankshaft position sensor is always a good idea (high fail rate) dont think its at the root of the problem here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:27 pm 

SE_chap wrote:
If its the pump which is highly likely to be the problem your only option is a recon pump which im guessing is about £500 plus fitting, there's 2nd hand on ebay for 350 but its a false economyas its likely to go aswell and you're back to square1.
Youd best start emailing places to see how much a recon is ...

The pump is a delicate piece of engineering and the achilles' heel of the Saab and older models of the Ford Transit, i had one go then i decided to put a 2nd had 1 in and after 6 months that went too with ( i think) error code P1222 Internal Pump Rattle, whereas your P0017 is uneven Pump Rotation

ah... I'm still hoping it will be something less terminal (think I saw something on a thread about wiring being a bit iffy sometimes, so maybe that, or - ideally, something as simple as blocked filter?!). Garage still haven't got it on the ramp to have a look so no clearer yet - I just want to get it moving as I've found a Saab place in Hythe (20 odd winding miles away) that know their stuff, have a donor car to test parts, and have good stock in. When I spoke to them on the phone they offered some constructive ideas to try before writing it off. Unfortunately, as it's the estate, it's too big for his trailer to collect :wall:

calam1ty wrote:
cps is on the bottom right in the block as you look at it 90540188 p/n its worth changing it and a good low cost place to start

We tried that when we saw the error code - sadly didn't work, which is why he kind of gave up on it as he assumed it was the timing chain. Now we've had it started with easy start, we've ruled that out, but still need to try to narrow it down when he gets to it.

cjapeterborough wrote:
P0117 is a high pressure pump fault ...not enough fuel is being delivered referencing the camshaft position sensor which I believe is part of the pump itself(as in the pic above),so indicates a mechanical fault with the pump or fuel restriction (filter).
Whilst changing the crankshaft position sensor is always a good idea (high fail rate) dont think its at the root of the problem here.

Yep, unfortunately the sensor wasn't the culprit - I'm not that lucky! Just crossing everything it's the filter!!

Again, thanks everyone - it's helpful to read all this for when I have my daily game of telephone tag with the garage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 p/white 9-5 s/grey
try the leak off pipes before you go throwing large amounts of cash at it, cps was just the natural way to go given the generic code, sometimes one code is thrown because of a completely different part failing. just today i had p0244 and p0400, pointing to egr and charge air solenoid, it was a split hose ;) £25.00 instead of a mind numbing £500 ??? again on a 2.2tid, this time a 9-3, try the cheapest option first, sometimes it works out beneficial, not always but an honest mech wont take you for a ride, he may just help you.....