UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:08 pm 

Car Model: Saab 9-5 NG 2011 1.6t
Hi, my SAAB 9-5 2011 (YS3G) has just failed the MOT because the ABS light came on when the guy was steering sharply to the left.
According to the garage the left ABS wheel sensor needs to be replaced.
And according to them it only comes as a part of wheel hub assembly, which they quoted will be £350+ to replace.

Is that really so or are they trying to fool me? Because I can see the sensor alone available in many places, e.g: https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/saab/9-5- ... abs-sensor

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:48 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2005 9-5 2.3T Vector
Just to get things clarified a bit here.
You said the guy was steering sharply to the left.

That sounds as though he was driving the car not testing it during an MOT.
During an MOT, the wheels are turned from lock to lock whilst stood on the turn plates that are fitted to the ramp.
The wheels are turned from lock to lock 'at the wheel' when the car is jacked up on the ramp.

Bit unusual this one. Only time I've ever seen a warning light come on during a test was when the car had been jacked up on the ramp and you then spin the road wheel(s) by hand. This can sometimes throw an error to the ecu and flash up your warning.

As for the test itself..
Quote:
The dashboard warning lamp for these systems may take various forms and a vehicle should only be failed when the tester is certain that an illuminated lamp indicates an ESC malfunction.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s03000401.htm

Note; The tester MUST be sure it is a malfunction. He cannot guess or assume.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2005 9-5 2.3T Vector
Just had another thought.
Did they carry out an inspection to get any fault codes or do any work to discover exactly what the problem is?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:02 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

As far as I can tell, there was no variant of the NG 9-5 that had the wheel-speed sensors integrated into the hub. All sensors are available separately but there are different sensors depending on the suspension spec. of the car.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm 

Car Model: Saab 9-5 NG 2011 1.6t
Sorry for the confusion, I assume he didn't drive the car but turned the wheels lock-to-lock and when the steering wheel was in the leftmost position then the ABS light came on - which failed the MOT. They did some investigation and told me that it is the front left ABS sensor which is faulty and suggested an entire wheel hub replacement (£350+).
My NG is 1.6t, no fancy suspension, my understanding is that all the parts are the same as Vauxhall Insignia (same GM platform). I will have the car examined elsewhere, to see if the sensor alone can be replaced.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:54 am 
Active user

Car Model: 2016 NG 9-5 TTID Vector SE
Fully agree with BillJ and confirmed with a check on EPC. The sensors (which are listed under Suspension system > Sensors) are standalone components and unique to each corner of the car - also not expensive as the link you've already found yourself proves.

I have some vague recollection that the original 9-5 did have the sensor incorporated in the hub but I'm very sure the NG doesn't and a cursory look at EPC again suggests the hub is a mechanical component only.

It's quite possible someone at the garage is second guessing the need for the hub and it isn't malicious but if they order one in it isn't going to miraculously turn up with a sensor of any description so you'll be paying for that too. Your suggestion of having the car looked at elsewhere seems very sensible.

This is one of the reasons I favour having my car MOT'd at council depots!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:22 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Dan J wrote:
confirmed with a check on EPC.

That's how I did it :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
Dan J wrote:
I have some vague recollection that the original 9-5 did have the sensor incorporated in the hub but I'm very sure the NG doesn't and a cursory look at EPC again suggests the hub is a mechanical component only.

OG 9-5 has the rear sensors built into the hubs.

'03 Saab 9-5 Vector 2.3t Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Convertible
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC