UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:03 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9000 900 99
I've just put the car back together after changing heater matrix and three aircon. components (condenser, receiver/drier & compressor).

When I switched the ignition on the Check Engine light is flashing error codes at me:

2 flashes & 5 flashes.

On BillJ's 9000.com site this tells me that there is a problem with the MAP sensor & throttle position sensor respectively.

However, the car starts & drives perfectly.

I didn't disconnect the battery while I was doing all this work but did disconnect the MAP sensor while I had the false bulkhead folded forwards out of the way while working in the aquarium.

The T7 APC valve I had fitted 8 months ago is rattling badly when the engine is revved so I've bought a replacement which I need to fit.

Now, if I disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes will the error codes/flashing "Check Engine" lights go away?

Or is it the rattly APC valve at fault?

Or something else?

TIA S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:00 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9000 Aero
Disconnect that battery for a while and give it a try - it's probably down to something you've moved with it connected.
T7 valves always rattle on T5 management - frightened the life out of me first time I heard it :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Thanks for the reply; the rattly APC valve is reassuring.

The "Check Engine " light has gone out all by itself!
I drove over 100 miles last night without problem, so it must be OK.

The only issue now is the intermittent nature of the engine function lights (mpg, volts, outside temp) which keep flicking off....

Any ideas?
Change the bulbs?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: The Pizza Taxi
Ignition switch?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Sven Rodkarl wrote:
The only issue now is the intermittent nature of the engine function lights (mpg, volts, outside temp) which keep flicking off....

If you're referring to the illumination on the digital display below the speedometer then it has an auto-dimming function driven by the sensor on the clock. Might be worth initially popping the clock out of the dash and re-seating the connectors on it. If the sensor is faulty you can solder a new one in or even just replace the clock for a working one.

If both bulbs go out simultaneously then it's not likely to be the bulbs that are at fault.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:05 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Merc A200d AMG 7sp DCT
Sven Rodkarl wrote:
Thanks for the reply; the rattly APC valve is reassuring.

The "Check Engine " light has gone out all by itself!
I drove over 100 miles last night without problem, so it must be OK.

Any ideas?
Change the bulbs?

T5 has no memory. So disconnect the battery for 10mins, with the light switch on. That will discharge the elec system.
Dont forget you will need any Radio codes, plus T5 will need to re-adapt afterwards.

The light issues you mention is down to the "Light Sensitive Resistor" inside your Saab Co-Computer, or Saab Clock unit. Depending on what is fitted. The light resistor is in the bottom left corner, and at this age it fails....

Can be replaced with another light dependant resistor ORP12 ?. Or just remove the resistor and join the two terminals for full brightness all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Thanks Bill & Paul.

I need to resolve this issue.....

I've had my AC re-gassed this afternoon at my local Saab Indy, Higher Oak Garage in Wrexham.
The system holds pressure, and therefore gas, perfectly well but the ACC still doesn't work.
Higher Oak believe the problem is the lack of a temperature signal because the Electronic Display Unit (EDU) below the speedo. isn't working.
They therefore plan to remove the dash top and the clocks to get at the EDU.

I'm going to warmer climes in the car on Friday evening so time is short.

Is a visible EDU a requirement for the ACC to work?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:15 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

The EDU lighting won't make any difference to ACC. The garage suspects the EDU itself isn't working.
Paul Taylor wrote:
The light issues you mention is down to the "Light Sensitive Resistor" inside your Saab Co-Computer, or Saab Clock unit. Depending on what is fitted. The light resistor is in the bottom left corner, and at this age it fails....

Can be replaced with another light dependant resistor ORP12 ?.

I seem to remember it is a phototransistor (or a photodiode). Not an LDR, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Merc A200d AMG 7sp DCT
Aircon on the ACC will not work if it thinks outside air temp is 3c or less.
It uses the outside air temp sensor which is under the front spoiler, slightly over to the left side of the car. The connector on the rear of this sensor corrodes really badly. So bad in fact, sometimes you cannot even get it off in one piece.
I suspect this will be the cause.
In past cases i have removed the connector. Cleaned up the connections on the Sensor to clean metal.
Soldered the wires directly to the sensor, then wrapped up in Self-Amalgamating rubber tape to seal it. Job done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Thanks Paul.

I'll have a look at this tomorrow.
If this doesn't sort it its booked back in at Higher Oak on Friday morning for them to have a look.

Here's hoping....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:13 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Thinking about this further.....

The outside temp. is visible on the EDU despite the intermittent illumination of the EDU.
There is, therefore, a signal from the outside temp. sensor.
Is it weakened by corrosion to prevent a strong enough signal to the ACC or is any signal good enough and the problem is elsewhere?