UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 11:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:32 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2011 9-3x TTID
My Tech2 Unit has arrived today and after a lot of faffing around, I have it finally connecting to my PC.

I am struggling to get the unit to talk properly, though; it starts to communicate then drops out. I have tested the adapter (DB9) pins and they are ok, tried serial and a USB to Serial.

I have read elsewhere a user had a very similar issue and once the PCMCIA card had been written again it all worked fine.

So my question is there anyone who can help me get my card updated with a genuine version of the SAAB software that hasn't come from some dodgy copy.

Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 am 
UKSaabs Trader

I can certainly supply you with a Saab v148 card.

Tell me exactly what the unit is doing and when?

Also - where did you source the unit from?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:45 am 
Active user

Ant9-5Aero wrote:
I can certainly supply you with a Saab v148 card.

Tell me exactly what the unit is doing and when?

Also - where did you source the unit from?

I can connect and control the unit with Tech2 view via TIS2000 but no other type of connection will work. However I can't connect to Tech2 view with GlobalTIS.

Any applications that try and connect to the Tech2 via GlobalTIS, initiate the connection, the unit goes into download mode (with out of sync text) I get 4 block appear in the display then it goes back to the title screen, at which point GlobalTIS states there is a communication error (no error codes) if I look at the logs I have a driver = null error which points to the serial connection.

I am going to try a different laptop that isn't using VMWare to see if that helps.

The unit came from AliExpress, the seller had quite a lot of positive feedback (AutotoolDIY)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:24 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

OK - you have to be very specific with which USB to RS232 connector you use. GM branded one was a Belkin one and that's the only one I have had 100% success with and recommend.

I can do you a new card with V148 on it for £55 delivered if that's of any use should you run out of ideas.

Unfortunately exactly as you describe is a common fault with the Chinese clones. When I was selecting my supplier for this equipment, I tried many (and spent a lot) on Chinese units - which actually in essence all come from the same factory, with prob 50/50 success if that. Hence I use a US supplier now which consistently never let me down at all.
A lot of faults do come down to the cloned cards and software too. Flashing the cards with GlobalTIS or the Tech 2 writing software is the only way I would supply a card.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 pm 
Active user

Thanks I will keep it in mind, I have a recommended USB to serial arriving today maybe that will help, also will try to take the Virtualised environment out of the equation as well.

Not sure I want to spend another £55 on this right now, certainly not before I have exhausted other options that cost me nothing.

I guess the card is ok (maybe) possibly just a bad bin file or flash to the card, I can see a utility for flashing the card I will give that a go so I don't need GlobalTIS.

Bit annoying really, but hey it's what we get for Chinese clones, I assume most if not all units come from one or maybe two sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:34 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaaaag
the other thing to bear in mind is to check the COM port number assigned to the USB serial port - sometimes it gets assigned a high number (eg, COM6) and from memory GlobalTIS doesn't like ones above COM4. You should be able to change the assigned COM port number in device manager - but it's another reason why a PC with a "proper" serial port is preferred, as these will normally always be COM1 or COM2.

'08 Jaguar XFR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:49 pm 
Active user

The COM ports are ok as I can see, certainly from the adapter.

I have tested different baud rates etc. I have a native serial port on my laptop dock but VMWare seems to struggle with it, will try some discovery tonight when I get home.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:54 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001;9-5 Estate 1999
My best advice would be to run all the diagnostic self tests on the Tech2 both basic and advanced.
http://www.tech2wiki.com/doku.php?id=wi ... ch2_device

Have you successfully connected directly to your car ie no PC in the loop?
If you can then you have eliminated the card,Candi module and the other Tech2 hardware.

Unfortunately cable and RS232 hardware problems are common faults.

Check continuity and that the pins are correctly wired on the DB9 adapter and try another RJ45 patch cable.
http://www.tech2wiki.com/doku.php?id=wi ... a_computer

Download and use the software available at Saabcentral for both TIS2000 and Globaltis.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... p?t=612946
These have been used many times and work.

Another good tip would be to source a suitable Laptop with dedicated serial port and PCMCIA reader/writer.
You can then prepare as many different PCMCIA card as you like using bin files that are available.
The Dell D series D610/620/630 are good (I have used them all) Thinkpads of similar vintage are also popular.
Using a dedicated laptop correctly configured minimises the variables when things are going wrong.
I wasted a lot of money faffing about with serial usb adapters and imho are not worth the grief.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 pm 
Active user

Great info here thank you, I can connect to the car fine

Maybe the unit or cables then

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 TiD 9-3SS Sonett C900T16s
I had very similar behaviour with a 144 card that I had flashed and no matter what I tried, the computer would not talk to the Tech2. I had tried different card versions to fix another issue, but I know the 144 file that comes on cards from China is lousy. I currently run 146, but even that is causing me SPS issues. I need 148!

I have an old Toshiba with a proper Serial port and a PC Card slot. I use Memory Card Explorer to flash cards, but Ant is correct in saying that the best way is with GlobalTIS. My version is only 146 though.

Tech2 is worth the hassle!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:00 am 
Active user

OK, so an update.

I have reinstalled everything based on @cjapeterborough post, I have tried Saab 146 and 148 these have made no difference, I have a new TU-S9 adapter, set COM port to 1.

Tested the pins for continuity on the DB9 adapter and closed the pins a little to ensure a good connection, I have checked the unit for dry joints and resoldered the MAX232 controller just in case.

Tried a 32bit vista laptop to take VMWare out of the equation (this made no difference)

I have now managed to get the unit talking to TIS2000 but not GlobalTIS, I have the security access talking but that gave me a M3148 error (one or more VINS are invalid) I assume that's because TIS200 won't work with newer models?

I am not sure what this is telling me, the unit is ok and its GlobalTIS or the Serial connection, I think I am going to need a laptop with a dedicated serial port to confirm what's up if anything.

One thing I did notice is when I used the Tech2 Card Writer, in VMWare, it dropped connection, on my local laptop it worked fine, I am wondering if this is still down to serial port issues on the laptop side

Odd how TIS2000 works but not GlobalTIS

munchcorp wrote:
I had very similar behavior with a 144 card that I had flashed and no matter what I tried, the computer would not talk to the Tech2. I had tried different card versions to fix another issue, but I know the 144 file that comes on cards from China is lousy. I currently run 146, but even that is causing me SPS issues. I need 148!

I have an old Toshiba with a proper Serial port and a PC Card slot. I use Memory Card Explorer to flash cards, but Ant is correct in saying that the best way is with GlobalTIS. My version is only 146 though.

Tech2 is worth the hassle!

Drop me a PM I have both 148 and 146

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:23 am 
Active user

Another Update:

I now have the unit working, woop woop what a PITA that was, I can only assume it was the DB9 connector, I had not tried my serial port on the laptop dock since checking for dry joints on the MAX232 controller or closing the pins on the adapter.

SO now I have it working because my car is 2011 I cannot get security access I just get a VIN error, this is now driving me potty, lol.

I believe I can use epsiportal.com for my2011 cars but will that work with a clone Tech2 does it check serial numbers etc. ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:50 am 
UKS Addict

Perhaps v148 on tech2 might be the answer?

'08 Jaguar XFR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:56 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2000 9-3 viggen convertible.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/30iirxfrpi3ep ... n.bin?dl=0

148. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:22 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001;9-5 Estate 1999
Globaltis...often the problems are due to the Java plugins not running correctly either incorrect version(has to be a specific old version) or browser related.
You also could be unlucky and have a car VIN that needs the later MDI.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:17 pm 
UKS Addict

the other thing to try would be to confirm that the car's model year is listed in the "model selection" screen on tech2 when connecting for diagnostics, v148 may support later model years than v146?

'08 Jaguar XFR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:15 pm 
Active user

It looks like I need the newer MDI unit for mine.

If I ignore the security access error in GlobalTIS then test in the car, some things are ok, however add or remove just asks for security again.

The VIN is rejected by GlobalTIS. SPS states mine is a newer version and stops.

Guess I am selling my Tech2 for a MDI, bit annoying now I have it all working.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & Dead 9-3 'vert
I was under the impression that MDI needed a subscription and a laptop to work at all.

v148 supports all model years, but if your GlobalTIS only lists v146 in the list of available softwares to install on your Tech2, then it may not accept the VIN anyway as it's not the last version of the Saab GlobalTIS. I have this issue with mine. My Tech2 can diagnose upto 2012, but I can't get security access as my G-TIS is only up to 2010. If you could find a newer copy of G-TIS with crack then it would (probably) work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:17 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

The only Saabs that need the MDI unit are the NG9-5's

All other models are fully Tech 2 compatible.

You need a GTIS subscription and a GDS subscription for full MDI usage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 pm 
Active user

There seem's to be some sellers that are stating access to GlobalTIS when buying a clone unit.

I am the same i can get some security access not all, although i may be complaining about nothing, how often will i need it !?!

I am considering testing v36 of GlobalTIS, seems I can request access elsewhere, this is for vaux though, will it work for a 2011 Saab, got to be worth trying.

I don't think there is a newer version of GlobalTIS for Saab, i have been searching already.