UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:23 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2003 9-5 Hot Aero. WIP
Hey guys

Read a lot of threads on doing the timing chains but really can't find any where someone has done it on their driveway without the means to lift the engine out the car.

Has anyone on here, who, like me is not a trained mechanic (but fairly handy with a spanner) and has done the timing chains themselves without any ability to lift the engine out (can it be pulled out the front on the subframe?)

How did you manage it? Any hints/tips? I ask as I've just done my rocker gaskets and I can see a change in the wear and tear on my chain. It's not as bad as the pictures I've seen on my thread but it's getting slacker and the pins are no longer running totally true so I need to change the chain.

I'm even considering following a guide on rolling a new chain in, I know this doesn't take care.of the guides or the balancing chain but needs must sometimes!

Cheers

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:43 pm 
UKS Addict

IME just rolling a chain is s very effective. I did this on our old C900 and the noise at idle dropped massively. It's obviously not as good as doing the guides etc. as well, but it does tackle the main culprit.

If you're doing it then get yourself a decent chain link removal tool. The process is as simple as: Plugs out, cam cover off, split old chain, tie each half immediately a link or so down so it can't drop in. Attach new chain to feed side, remove tie on this one, then slowly turn the engine by the crank pulley whilst pulling the other end of the chain out. I have heard it said that it can be done on a manual car by jacking up the drivers side and putting the box in 4th and turning the roadwheel but have never tried it myself.

NB you can't do the balance shaft chains like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:53 pm 
Active user

Yeah I knew the balance chains can't be done this way. It is literally just to keep the jar going for another 6-12 months until I can.get the engine out and do the clutch, subframe bushes and full chain/guide change. I just really can't manage to do all that anytime soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:49 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
I ran a 9-5 with really slack noisy chains for over a year so if the engine is coming out in the near future im not sure I would bother putting a wind-in chain in it unless its running really bad?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:01 pm 
Active user

No it seems to run OK but the slack looks to be enough to allow the cam timing to go right out (more than a tooth worth!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:11 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ SportWagon 2.0T
What sort of mileage? Unless its 200k+ and has seen 20k miles oil change intervals I wouldn't worry about it for the next 6 months.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:23 pm 
Active user

It's on 103500 now. It came with full dealer history up to 70K but the state of the oil when I got it almost looked like it had gone 30K miles without a service! Lol

TBH the sprockets don't look worn and the chain isn't that bad, it's just I do a fair amount of miles, got a couple of long journeys coming up to see family and I'd rather know the chain isn't going to let go! I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to this sort of thing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:39 pm 
Talking Turkey

If the chain isnt splaying then I really wouldnt be worrying about it. If the timing was that far out it wouldnt idle properly and be quite sluggish to rev. Almost unheard of for the timing chain to actually fail, normally the balance chain snaps and this can go on to break the timing chain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:57 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ SportWagon 2.0T
Doing the chain won't guarantee that something else won't play up on the long journey. It's not an old timing belt which can just snap, it's not unheard timing chains to fail but percentage wise you are likely to break down for 500 other different parts (e.g. fuel pump might be on its last legs, DI, Turbo failure, CPS etc). I'm not fan of false economies but this seems like an unnecessary expense, time and effort if you are going to get into it relatively soon (just make it more towards the 6 months line instead of 12 for the peace of mind).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:40 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Sportwagen and more
gazmk2,

If you know that your timing chain is shot and it is neither difficult nor expensive to replace, why wait ? Think what a twit you will feel if you leave it and it breaks. I did this recently on an '02 plate Aero 9-5 I bought a Febi Bilstein open link chain from my local motor factor and wound it in. Part No. 25177. Cost about £40. This was back in April '16 and I'm sure I posted a 'how to' cause you need to grind the end of one of the chain link pins to be able attach the new chain.

I'd post a photo of the defective chain but I can't get it down to the required pixel size but the links were visibly skewed out of alignment.

Paul @ Kippen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:00 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3 1.8t
Can you do it without a hoist? yes, but you need jacks and stands to support, raise and lower things (assuming you were taking the timing case cover off).
Others have just taken the cam cover off and rolled in a new chain in.

But as has been noted,, there are 500 other things that could go wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:13 pm 
Talking Turkey

I have a collapsible hoist and a skate capable of dropping a subframe on to. Happy to loan this out to those in need if required. Makes removing an engine so much easier to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:39 pm 
Active user

9000Parts wrote:
I have a collapsible hoist and a skate capable of dropping a subframe on to. Happy to loan this out to those in need if required. Makes removing an engine so much easier to do.

I may well take you up on that legendary offer when the time comes! Every thread I found on the Internet involved folks either paying lots for a garage to do it or lifting the engine out the bay!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 pm 
Talking Turkey

gazmk2 wrote:
9000Parts wrote:

I may well take you up on that legendary offer when the time comes! Every thread I found on the Internet involved folks either paying lots for a garage to do it or lifting the engine out the bay!

I prefer to drop them out the bottom rather than lifting them out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:14 am 
Active user

Car Model: DE Saab 95 2.3 Aero stg1
Just incase you can rent engine lifts for a week at a time for about £30.
I've done this in the past.

Infact if you are very savvy you can buy a complete engine hoist. Say ebay. Then sell it after you have used it for a very similar amount.

I've done this in the past a couple of times.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:18 am 
Active user

I was just looking at prices and there seems to be a good range of them for under £150.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:40 am 
Active user

Car Model: DE Saab 95 2.3 Aero stg1
They are useful to have. Quite a bit safter than trolley jacks.
You can virtually lift the entire front of the car off the ground with them if needed too.

But as I say you can rent them too!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm 
Talking Turkey

My hoist will lift the nose of a 9-5 happily. I have a decent skate to drop the subframe on to and wheel it out too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:25 pm 
Active user

That looks like just ticket! Out in one go with the subframe. Settled then, i'll get myself an engine hoist and then if I don't need to keep it after i'm done I can chuck it on ebay!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:22 pm 
Talking Turkey

The offer of borrowing my kit is still on subject to mileage of course.