UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 pm 

Car Model: 9000
Hi folks, I really hope you can help! It seems that when the engine is hot my car won't start, if I leave it to cool down it usually starts fine. I've been informed it could be the best ignition coil, unfortunately further investigation on that topic has just caused more confusion! Any searches are bringing up anywhere up to four different parts, can anyone help at all?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:13 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero HOT estate. 03
If no other symptoms then perhaps crank position sensor .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:17 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
The 92 has a very different Crank Sensor that very rarely fails. They dont have the same failure symptoms as the later type either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
In what way does it fail to start when hot?
Does the engine turn over or do you just get a clicking?

As you've mentioned a coil, I assume you have a 2.0 with distributor rather than 2.3 with direct ignition?

Is it getting fuel? Whip out the plugs when it's failing to start (if it still cranks) turn the engine over and see if you get little sprays of fuel with each rev.

How old are the HT leads? They can be a bit grumpy if they get hot when they are old. As a plus they are easy to change.

Could also be the coil as they tend to not like being hot when old. As Paul says the CPS on the older longblock engines do tend to be very reliable, but it could still be at fault - a little tricky to get at, but not impossible to change.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: The Pizza Taxi
I'm aware of a longblock CPS that has gone dodgy.

SAABits do a repair kit, http://www.saabits.com/electrical/saab- ... h=165_167&

You need to take the crankshaft pulley off to get to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:58 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Sportwagen and more
widge666,

This is a bit of a blast from the past. It's where I started with 9000s, back in '95 with a 2.0 16v. If memory serves, non starting engines, check the ignition system, if no luck then check it again. Probably a 99% chance of being the problem. I've dragged out the old workshop manual I had and it suggests that there were few user serviceable parts in the distributor. The rotor arm is bonded to the shaft and is destroyed on removal, the Hall sensor and slotted wheel are not renewable, though the ignition amplifier unit mounted on the wing, is.

I'd check the distributor cap for damage and tracking and clean the ignition leads really well. I used to take them off one by one, spray with WD40 and clean with a dry cloth. Replace then do the next one. Don't forget the distributor to coil one, and clean the cap inside and out in similar manner. Also clean the top of the coil and ensure that the low tension connections are tight.

Run the engine, in the dark, with the cover plate off. You can often see quite a light show as the HT tracks about the place. Keep your hands ( and other body parts ) well clear.

Paul @ Kippen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:21 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

I think the coil I`ve just bought on ebay might suit - I checked with NGK technical to get resistance values for the U1076 & got this

The information we have for U1076
LT/LT - 0.66-0.78 Ohms
LT+/HT - 6.57-8.03 kOhms which was correct range according to Bentley.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-IGNITION- ... 0992206062 is the listing. I think I`ll trust an NGK coil as much as Bosch which seems to cost around 4x more. With some new plug leads it migtht help - but you could check the resistance of you coil & see if it`s anywhere near the above figures - maybe when hot? This m might be the right bougicord set for a 9000: http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/ignitio ... 16518.html
but you`d need to check. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:06 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Same hall-effect crank sensor as the 900i of the era, with Bosch EZK ignition. These are failing now with increasing regularity as they are all over 20 years old. So much so that we do a replacement kit that covers the 900 and 9000 models (we also supply the ignition lead set).

Initial symptoms are usually hot-starting problems, progressing to no start at all. Once started, idling and running may be a bit rough too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:33 pm 

Car Model: 9000
OK folks, so it's the crank position sensor (probably!) then. Is that a big job? As a thought, could it be something as simple as old spark plugs?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:13 am 
UKSaabs Trader

It's cheap and easy to eliminate the plugs. Just fit new ones, correctly-gapped, and see what happens. Officially for that year the plugs are the platinum BCP5EVX (superseded these days by iridium BCPR5EIX) but just the model-year before, exactly the same engine used the much cheaper BCP5ES - it's just that the platinum plugs will last longer between services and this was probably done to extend the service interval to reduce running costs for lease customers.
However, in my experience aged plugs tend to give different problems, like misfiring under load.

The crank sensor is behind the crankshaft pulley, accessible by removing the wheel-arch liner. Remove the pulley bolt and pulley (best to lock the flywheel first). Remove the sensor housing from behind the pulley and unscrew the sensor from the housing. Cut the wires and connect the new sensor to the cut wires. Reassemble. Our kit includes full instructions.