I have managed to poison myself with 2 K paint. I have been spraying 2K on and off for the last ten years. Back then both my Dad and I were told by the guy at the spray shop that if you are painting only the odd time out side you will be ok with a 3m throw away spray mask. I have probably sprayed 6 cars worth over 10 years. The last job I did was paint the boot and floor pans out side on a full stripped shell. It took less than 45min. In the past I have had not even feel ill after painting, no chestiness, cough or anything and I didn't have any problems while spraying, so I never changed my habbit.
24hours later I had the runs and felt sick and dizzy, a bit like the flu. This slowly went after 3 days, but I felt dizzy. 1 month later I had another similar attack, even without any paint exposure and it took 3 weeks for my balance to return. This happened again 1 month later and I had 7 weeks off work, dizziness, balance issues, headaches, bad feeling stomach. Now I have a bit of balance and headaches, feel sickly sometimes and get metal tastes in the mouth and tingling at times in my hands and feet.
I believe I now have a poisoned central nervous system, which will degenerate until death. Isocyanate is a neurotoxin and that means if it gets into your liver and turned to bile it most likely will get reabsorbed back by the nerves in your small intestines. So even the smallest exposure will pump some into your nervous system. Tolulene is also nearly as bad, so also watch out using thinners.
My advise is don't use ANY 2 PART PAINT SYSTEM at home, get a professional who also is oblivious to neurotoxins and thinks HSE limits wont effect his health to paint it for you.
All the exposure limits are based on sensitization of the respiratory system, and very little has been tested for neurotoxins (I wonder why). Isocyantes are in nearly all polymer structures, spray foam etc, even carpets have been known to poison babies. If these structures burn or are mixed incorrect when foamed they can give off isocyanates.
Organic filters don't always work
WARNING - One over exposure can kill
Please sticky this as it's very important
How did you manage to find out it was the paint (ISOCYANATES) that had given you all these symptoms ?
Was there any particular tests etc that made you find about the poison ?
The reason I ask is I have been dizzy and had/have all of the symptoms you mentioned for the last 4 and a half years. Docs have changed diagnosis umpteen times and have now came to the stage to just take each day as it comes and live with it.
I remember the night I fell ill, We had just finished an engine conversion on one of my cars and had to mount the petrol tank in the boot. So all the petrol fumes were lurking in the car as it wasn't ventilated(I was only able to ventilate via drivers window). I have always suspected that this could have been the cause but doctors wouldnt let on.