UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:47 pm 

Car Model: Saab 9-3 SE Turbo convertible
TWSaab wrote:
According to the EPC, if you put the car in as a 2004 there is only one MIU for the B235 auto cars from 2004 to 2005, Part No 5373949. There was a different part No for a 2003 B235 auto, 5373364. Just wondered if it had been changed previously to an incorrect unit, or even one from a manual car which is different again (5373881 for 2004-5)?

Hi Alan, its a good point that, its a 53 plate manufactured 03.09.2003 but according to the chassis number check its a 2004 model i have got loads of history with the car but nothing is mentioned about instrument cluster change, it is the right type definitely an auto cluster with the right sensonic display i.e. P,R,N,D,M,L ive seen one on ebay for a 2003 9-5 aero auto with the part number 5371364 and when i put that in the EPC it says 2003, B235, B308, A, MPH, the same spec as the one you have mentioned but a year sooner, so i think ill take mine out tomorrow and see what number is on that one but it could have been changed as you have said because they do look the same and have the same features so i will report back tomorrow..... thanks again Alan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:22 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estates, 9000 Aero
Another thought.....

Having taken a look in WIS, the communication about the gear selected comes from TCM, for both the gear selector position and the selected gear.

If you can get access to Tech 2 you can read that information direct from the TCM. (I did this recently) to be sure that it is the MIU at fault, rather than the message from TCM

BTW, your car is a MY2004

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:09 am 

carrera wrote:
Another thought.....

Having taken a look in WIS, the communication about the gear selected comes from TCM, for both the gear selector position and the selected gear.

If you can get access to Tech 2 you can read that information direct from the TCM. (I did this recently) to be sure that it is the MIU at fault, rather than the message from TCM

BTW, your car is a MY2004

Hi Carrera, yeah i previously mentioned i had checked it on a friends tech 2 and it was corresponding with what was selected also checked it on my delphi and again was corresponding so the more i thikn about it the more im leaning towards MIU because it is getting a signal as its reading all be it the wrong position but there is a display of sorts.

Last edited by observer666 on Sat May 16, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:31 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Just had another read:

The data is transmitted on P-bus, each segment is a separate diode., Very wierd.

Removal method is as I thought, remove instrument panel, with all the preamble, then 4 screws for the MIU

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:32 am 

carrera wrote:
Just had another read:

The data is transmitted on P-bus, each segment is a separate diode., Very wierd.

Removal method is as I thought, remove instrument panel, with all the preamble, then 4 screws for the MIU

Hi Carrera yeah you can see each segment when yo remove the instruments it has another 5 for the sensonic side as well so 10 in 2 rows very complicated lol, right ive taken the instruments cluster out and its the 2004 one the part number is 5373949 theres a few on ebay but none in this country so thats a good start lol

Last edited by observer666 on Sat May 16, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:34 am 

beardydave wrote:
I've got a number of clusters from 9-5s out in my garage. Let me know what number you want and I'll check.

If I have it, it's yours for delivery costs.

Hi Dave just pulled the cluster out and the part number is 5373949 if you have one let me know buddy and we will sort something out if not its all good i appreciate you trying for me buddy

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:35 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Now it's out and you can see from the rear, are the diodes illuminating in the right order, or still one place out ?

(and I'm not Alan ;))

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:02 pm 

carrera wrote:
Now it's out and you can see from the rear, are the diodes illuminating in the right order, or still one place out ?

(and I'm not Alan ;))

HaHa sorry Carrera yep took the back cover off it not much to see but the diodes are soldered on the pcb and cant move, theres a few chips and stepper motors and not much else to be honest so cant see anything out of place ill try and find one from somewhere thanks again for your help

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
Sorry, just been and looked.

The auto one looks like its older. Doesn't have the numbers for manual gear.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:15 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Well it doesn't really sound as though there is much to go wrong on the MIU

The only other thought is if the "correct" TCM is fitted. Perhaps, and this is just a guess, the messages being sent across the p-bus are different to what the MIU expects.

If you post the TCM number on the back I have a list of the correct numbers.... and it's not the Saab part number either.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:40 pm 

beardydave wrote:
Sorry, just been and looked.

The auto one looks like its older. Doesn't have the numbers for manual gear.

No problem Dave thanks for looking anyway i appreciate it

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:42 pm 

carrera wrote:
Well it doesn't really sound as though there is much to go wrong on the MIU

The only other thought is if the "correct" TCM is fitted. Perhaps, and this is just a guess, the messages being sent across the p-bus are different to what the MIU expects.

If you post the TCM number on the back I have a list of the correct numbers.... and it's not the Saab part number either.

Hi Carrera the tcm is sending the right message to the system because it is showing in tech 2 and delphi where the gear lever is including the gear switches on the steering wheel so i am assuming tcm wise its all good, but it wouldnt hurt to check i suppose, and yeah not really anything to see on the cluster lol

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:32 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

observer666 wrote:
Hi Carrera the tcm is sending the right message to the system because it is showing in tech 2 and delphi where the gear lever is including the gear switches on the steering wheel so i am assuming tcm wise its all good, but it wouldnt hurt to check i suppose, and yeah not really anything to see on the cluster lol

I thought the same about the TCM too, but you have a strange problem and it's easy to check the number, just to eliminate that as being a problem.

I can't really see the IC mis-translating the messages from TCM and switching the wrong light on either..... but you can think about that too.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:03 am 

carrera wrote:
observer666 wrote:

I thought the same about the TCM too, but you have a strange problem and it's easy to check the number, just to eliminate that as being a problem.

I can't really see the IC mis-translating the messages from TCM and switching the wrong light on either..... but you can think about that too.

Yeah its a weird fault i have managed to source a replacement MIU, so while that is making its way to me i will check the numbers on the TCM just to make sure, you never know it could be sending the wrong signal to the MIU even though diagnostic checks say the signal is correct, ive had few odd ball electrical problems on cars in the past so it wouldnt surprise me at all, luckily all these parts are pretty cheap secondhand and not to bad to fit so its not to bad

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:12 am 

Just a quick update its all sorted now the MIU required reprogramming in tech 2 it wasnt selected as sentronic so didnt work properly its all good now and as it should be so a big thanks to everybody for all your input, and one little tip if you do reprogram the MIU when it shows the abs type if you have ESP select thator your speedo wont work....found that out the hard way lol

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Thanks for posting back with the solution.

In hindight it appears so obvious, but I guess you didn't know the MIU had been replaced (and not programmed) prior to your ownership.

I did know about the ABS / speedo issue as I have seen that being programmed with the outcome you report. The menu doesn't seem that clear to me as it's not apparent which version of ABS you need to select.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:06 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
Glad its sorted.

Can't beat a happy ending.