UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:44 pm 

Hi guys. I have bought a 9-5 that the central locking works (with the key in the door) but it won't lock/unlock on the remote with the key. Any ideas? The alarm doesn't arm, but then it wouldn't if locked with the key in the door which is my only way of locking it. I have thought about rebuilding the siren but I am doubtful that is the issue. I have changed the receiver (back of the centre console) with no change. I have also changed the ignition switch. Have now run out of ideas...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Sportwagen and more
gusstrang,

Does the centre of the ignition lock 'pop' up when you remove the key ? If it doesn't then you cannot lock the doors with the remote.

Paul @ Kippen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estates, 9000 Aero
Paul Anderson Kippen wrote:
gusstrang,

Does the centre of the ignition lock 'pop' up when you remove the key ? If it doesn't then you cannot lock the doors with the remote.

Paul @ Kippen

Alternatively, does the radio switch off (another method for the same test)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:09 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: alletsE. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
Is the remote battery naff?

Try pressing lock/unlock repeatedly. If this doesn't work, fit a new remote battery and repeat the process.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Aero
You can also check to see if the key is communicating with the car by turning the ignition to on without starting the car and pressing either unlock on lock on the key and a message should pop up on the SID with how many keys are registered to the car.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:25 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

lancer778544 wrote:
You can also check to see if the key is communicating with the car by turning the ignition to on without starting the car and pressing either unlock on lock on the key and a message should pop up on the SID with how many keys are registered to the car.

Good point, it's the tailgate / boot unlock button though

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:25 am 

Thanks guys. Both keys are recognised when I press the boot unlock; the ignition barrel pops up okay and I’ve changed the ignition switch itself. Radio goes off eventually (or is it supposed to go off straight away?j.

No light on the dashboard LED (flashed in my 2.0 ARC) but I disconnected alarm last night and now getting alarm system warning so I think the system seems intact.

Will try syncing key by pressing lock unlock repeatedly - pretty sure I’ve tried this but will try again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:27 am 

Oh, and I’ve renewed both of the keys batteries...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:50 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

gusstrang wrote:
Radio goes off eventually (or is it supposed to go off straight away?j.

It's supposed to go off straight away

.... or at least it does on all my Aero's and the DE that I have.

That would seem to suggest the barrel isn't quite popping up properly, or at least the electrical switch at the bottom isn't.

How long does the radio stay live for when the key is removed ?

The fact that the key is acknowledged on SID tells you that the key, batteries and receiving transponder are all working correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm 

I’ve tried pressing the buttons on each key rapidly while the ignition is on. No change.
I’ve changed the ignition switch (black plastic) below the barrel and also thoroughly cleaned barrel after disassembly. It appears to pop up as much as my previous 9-5. Maybe I’ll try taking the barrel out again and checking it.

I will update once I’ve done that (and noted how long radio stays on) Thanks for your advice so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:37 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

So how long does the radio stay on ?

1 hour means the key removal isn't cutting the power it's a timer that is doing that.

A shorter period tells me that there's something stopping the switch going to the off position immediately, it takes a bit of time for the spring to overcome the interference.

Try locking the car when the radio has eventually gone off. I suspect it will work properly then.

Looking like ignition barrel or your new ignition switch. New parts can be faulty.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:36 pm 

Solved - removed the barrel (again) and tried switching car off with a screwdriver. Radio went off and the remote worked. I tried taking apart and cleaning the barrel but it was still not popping up enough. Finally ground a sliver off the bottom of the barrel where it goes into the plastic ignition switch so that could pop up higher and now everything works. Thanks for the ideas guys. Best one was when someone said you could start the car with a screwdriver once the barrel was out - so true.