UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 pm 

Car Model: 2010 9-3X 2.0T
Hi all :D

After a huge string of sporty cars I've just bought my first Saab. I'd always wanted a 9-5 Aero but unable to live with an auto (which was all I could find) I picked up a 9-3X at the weekend.

Saab has been on my shortlist for such a long time and I have to say I found my drive home in it very pleasing.

I've only found two issues with this, one is low AC gas which I imagine ing I'll not get around to investigating further until the summer but the other is the very pronounced turbo noises I'm hearing.

Not noticeable with the windows up, I didn't pick up on it during my test drive, however, with the windows down it sounds like one of my old R5GTT's! As much as I love being reminded of those says, I was expecting to hear only either a moderate whistle - or nothing at all - when boosting my modern Saab.

Mine is a 210bhp 2.0T model on 90k, original turbo to my knowledge.

The symptoms are loud wooshing/spooling while building boost and a bit of a pssst sound when letting of (not fluttering) as if the car had an old school BOV. I also think the low rpm response is a bit poor, but perhaps that's just the heavy XWD system blunting performance more than I expected and my last car was a veloster turbo that picked up boost more quickly.

Anyway, I suspecting a boost leak I've had a look around the various hoses from above and below that I could access without removing much. I found nothing obviously wrong with the boost hoses or throttle body area but I did notice that there is some play/movement where the downpipe connects to the three-bolt (triangular) flange below the turbo.

It didn't feel right to me but with the engine just idling I couldn't feel and blowing there. With limited view I wasn't sure if it was the kind of join thst shoukd have play or not. Also the nuts looked so corroded I didn't attempt tightening. I took a picture but can't seem to host it.

I can live with the noise but just a bit concerned about either ruining the turbo if the leak is on the intake side and causing it to spin twice as fast to retain the same boost levels...... Or worried about the car running rich by the lambda getting confused if there is a leak at that join.

Should the 2.0T GM lump feel modern, flexible and responsive or is it normal to feel a bit more like an old school turbo (i.e kick up the bottom at 2.5krpm but wobbly before that). Pulls well to redline.

I bought it from a pretty scummy used car place who have given me a 'warenty' but I expect I'll get nowhere with them on this problem!

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome and very appreciated :-)

Cheers, Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:15 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9 3 Aero Combi 2.0T 2009
See noobtune about adding a bit more oomph.

He's done two of mine in the past.

He is on this forum somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Welcome! :)

It sounds as if there is an air leak, unless someone has played with the induction system. The most common air leak is the bottom hose on the intercooler. The jubilee clip rusts and the rubber pipe come off. It only has to be off a tiny bit and may still look to be fitted. could also be a split intercooler.

The other thing that give you a noise is if someone has removed the original airbox and filter and added an "open filter". If this has been fitted inside the engine bay it will give a noise, but if unshielded, it will draw in hot air and reduce performance, but only a bit.

Do you have a photo of the engine bay? It should look a bit like this. Ignore the silver pipe on the rH side, that was only fitted to early cars.

Attachment:
DSC03664.JPG
DSC03664.JPG [ 112.36 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

***double post***

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:33 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9 3 Aero Combi 2.0T 2009
sgould wrote:
***double post***

***double spotted***

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:41 pm 

Hi cheers very much for responding both

It's all OEM under the bonnet, including the airbox and the filter inside is a typical blueprint one.

About the lower intercooler hose, how do I get to it, does the bumper need to come off?
Cheers again, Tom

P. S - Loud whistle & woosh isn't normal on these then, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 pm 

Actually - just peeked under the bonnet again to compare against the picture above.

Where the red 93 in the photo has a form plastic hose connected to the front right side of the airbox and angles 90degrees disappearing down past that air-con pipe...... Mine has a blanking plug there so it doesn't go anywhere. I wonder if my noise is coming from the other end of wherever that hst should go.... Hmmmm...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:08 pm 

Damn, just checked google and found various other stock photos looking the same as mine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:26 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

That small pipe goes to an air pump in front of the engine, which then goes through the silver pipe and pot on the right. That's the secondary air injection system. It was only on the 2003 model and deleted thereafter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:43 pm 

Tbh there was quite a bit of movement in my downpipe/turbo join and it didn't look like a spring-bolt type fitting to me so maybe that's the problem....

Unfortunately it looks like the downpioe is one peice with the cat.. Joy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:27 am 

I say downpipe..... I mean front pipe with the flexi section and just upstream of that.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:28 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

If the exhaust has broken, it will be very loud, surely? And downstream of the turbo, it won't have a great effect on the performance, unless the lambda sensors have been damaged. If they have you should see a warning light on the instrument panel, and get an error code to read.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:28 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

***another double post*** :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:37 am 

Morning!

No warning lights. The woosh is very loud but it's not sounding like the exhaust is blowing on idle. Can't replicate unless under load. Havnt spotted where the 2nd lambda is yet not sure if I'm talking upstream or down of that, will take a peek at lunch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:16 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

There is a lambda upstream and downstream of the catalytic convertor. The first monitors the engine and the second checks that the cat is working.

Does the engine warning light come on when you turn on the ignition and got when you start the car? It's not unknown for a dodgy mechanic to cover the bulb to hide problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:38 pm 

Yep the light is working, familiar with that old trick and I always check :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:43 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; '71 VW Beetle
I think the exhaust issue is likely a red herring. It needs fixing but a whoosh and dump valve hiss will be on the induction side.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
1971 (K) VW Beetle 1300
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:57 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: og93 RWD trackcar + 9-3aeroxwd
Could also be a damaged intercooler core leaking air / boost out.

9-3 Aero V6 XWD 2009 310Bhp / 470nm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 pm 

Thanks guys.

Not found yet. I did look around the i/c wondering if I'd spot any oil stains thinking oil would have blasted out of any leak...

Will have another chance to look again at the weekend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:52 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estates, 9000 Aero
I blew the side off the intercooler on one of my cars. Despite looking, it was only when I made up an adapter and connected it to a compressor that I actually found where the fault was.