UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:48 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 Aero 2.8t SportWagon
Hi all

I have a 2.8t Saab 9-3 which has been laid up for the best part of 6 months. Every month I let the car run for approx. 20-30 minutes, then disconnect the battery until the next month where I repeat the process.

Unfortunately last month I forgot to disconnect the battery for reasons unknown - and when I went to start the car this morning it was very laboured... however it started after 2-3 seconds of cranking. All was fine for 5-10 seconds, then I got a red warning message stating 'Battery not Charging, go to Workshop' or something along those lines. I left it for a few seconds thinking it may be because the car isn't getting regular use, but then lots of other errors started popping up - abs, tcs, etc with all leds noticeably dim. Put a multimeter on the battery, and voltage was approx 10v and slowly dropping.

At this point, the SID itself became almost invisible along with the other interior lights so I switched the car off.

Is there anything I should realistically explore before opting to change the alternator? I've read that replacing the battery cures some issues, but I don't want to needlessly change parts unless I have to. It's just odd that it's been fine for the last 6 months with no change, until I forgot to disconnect the battery last month and it's had zero use in the past 30 days.

Cheers all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:34 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
Put in a fresh battery and then see if you are getting towards 14V measuring at the battery.
You need to find out if the battery is contributing the problem so get it fully charged and load tested.
Running at idle for 20-30mins every so often wont do much for an already bad battery.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:14 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3 2.8 V6 Saloon and Vert!
Agree with above.
You’ve killed the battery, a 20 minute idle a month would have used more power than you’re putting back in via the alternator.
I’d say 99% the alternator is fine.
2 choices :
Take battery off and recharge it properly and see if that works or probably best to buy a new one. If you are not using the car just leave it until you do?
The battery has a harsh life anyway on the 2.8 - sits right next to a hot CAt in an already hot engine bay.

Hope you get it sorted , best of luck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:29 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 Aero 2.8t SportWagon
Thanks for your replies. As an update, I charged my original Varta battery and it was holding a charge at 13.5v. Started the car and it came to life straight away, with no charging light. Result I thought, but 15 seconds later the light came on and I got the same error message on the SID. Voltage at this point was 11.98 and holding.

Thinking it could still be the battery, I purchased a brand new one this morning but after fitting, unfortunately it does the exact same thing.

I can hear a low sort of screech sound coming from the engine which I hadn't noticed before but I'm not sure if that's because I'm just looking for symptoms and perhaps that has always been there. With it being the 2.8t, there's little to no access to the alternator that I can see, and worried this is going to cost me some big bucks.

Is there anything else I can do to narrow down the issue? I recently had a voltage regulator fail on my 1.9 TDI which I changed in under 15 minutes - however the alternator in the Saab is buried in deep and can't see any way of me being able to get to it, let alone check the brushes.

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:36 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
As I said above fully charge the battery and get it load tested...Halfords and many other places will test for free.
If you arent measuring close to 14v at the battery when the engine is running your alternator is toast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:39 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... -OCZ471rcQ

How to replace the alternator.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2013(63) VW T5