UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:58 pm 

Car Model: 9-5 (08)
Hi all, new Saab owner as of today, bought an ‘08 95 Aero 2.3 with 115k on the clock, hoping it’ll do me well for at least a couple of years, preferably more!

Only came with one key though, and one of the exposed-blade, plastic head types at that. 3 button.

I’d like to get a spare key sorted, and preferably one not designed to poke a hole in my pocket while I’m at it haha.

I have run several searches on here but found it hard to track down a clear answer on the best/most economical way to achieve this, so I’m hoping someone can help me!

As a struggling musician cliche, I have more time, patience and willingness to try things than I do money...

North London based, if that changes anything.

What are my best options?

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:06 am 
Shotgun

Car Model: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
I don't believe the OG9-5 ever came with a key other than what you describe? You just need to store it in your pocket correctly to prevent holes. Or get trousers with stronger pockets :wink:

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 am 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
You can buy key blanks on ebay which you can then take to your local friendly key cutter. Then you need the guts from another key and somebody who can operate a Tech-II to marry the car to the key.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 am 

Shalien wrote:
I don't believe the OG9-5 ever came with a key other than what you describe? You just need to store it in your pocket correctly to prevent holes. Or get trousers with stronger pockets :wink:

:lol:
The person who invents lightweight Kevlar pockets will be a wealthy one!

9000Parts wrote:
You can buy key blanks on ebay which you can then take to your local friendly key cutter. Then you need the guts from another key and somebody who can operate a Tech-II to marry the car to the key.

Ah! Now this sounds like a plan. Are there any forum-ites based around London area who can utilise tech-II to marry keys, do we know? And can anyone recommend an eBay listing that works?

Would I be able to use an all-in-one type key for this car?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:08 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
You need a Type A key blank
https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/show ... stcount=15
A 3 button insert used or otherwise eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SAAB ... ctupt=true

Someone with a lasercutting machine to cut the blank.
A lot of places wont touch them (as they cant fleece you) and give all kinds of excuses.Dont waste you time with Timpsons etc find a market cobbler etc
Someone with a Tech2 to pair it to the car.(look at the top of the forum for members with Tech2).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 am 

cjapeterborough wrote:
You need a Type A key blank
https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/show ... stcount=15
A 3 button insert used or otherwise eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SAAB ... ctupt=true

Someone with a lasercutting machine to cut the blank.
A lot of places wont touch them (as they cant fleece you) and give all kinds of excuses.Dont waste you time with Timpsons etc find a market cobbler etc
Someone with a Tech2 to pair it to the car.(look at the top of the forum for members with Tech2).

Thanks! Would it be possible to have an all-in-one style fob programmed though rather than the exposed blade type? One of these styles? https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-albu-g4-M01-8B-37-rBVaEVf7ln-AAvUaAACFNRW3_-0160.jpg/high-quality-soft-keys-for-saab-4-button.jpg I know that's 4 button and I wouldn't care about one not working, it's more just being easier to sit in the pocket haha.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:56 am 
Saab Nut

The answer is no totally different systems.
In the very early 9-5's there were the slug/penknife type keys available but I would doubt
the thicker type A key blade would work in those for the 08 9-5.
If indeed you could source one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
Make sure you get the right blank, compare the grooves including the edge. I think there a 3 different ones for that type of key. When I got one done for the OG9-3 (same type of key) I tried Timpsons. Initially they did not have, and could not seem to get, the blank. Then they refused to cut my blank (bought on ebay) as they had not supplied it. I then went to a local high street independent key shop and the guy cut it in 5 minutes for about £5 (I think 'laser cutting' is a bit of a misnomer, more like milling).

I got a second hand key, put the circuit board in the new key, and one of the members programmed it with a Tech2 at a local meet for a pint.

'03 Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Vert
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:26 am 
Saab Nut

As I said above Type A need for a DE...its the thickest one.
I was told a Lasercutting type machine is required to cut the blank so not all of the small outlets have the hardware to cut them....could have been BS though.
By the way if you need a blank and an insert let me know as I have a few spare and sold my 2007 9-5 Aero last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:36 pm 

cjapeterborough wrote:
As I said above Type A need for a DE...its the thickest one.
I was told a Lasercutting type machine is required to cut the blank so not all of the small outlets have the hardware to cut them....could have been BS though.
By the way if you need a blank and an insert let me know as I have a few spare and sold my 2007 9-5 Aero last year.

I do indeed, by the sounds of it, that'd be super helpful, thanks! Was really hoping to bodge together an all-in-one for the second key but sounds like that's not gonna happen :(

How much do you want for a blank and insert?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:38 pm 

and are there any London-based tech2 owners up for a pint & programme sesh? ;)

I did look through the tech2 owners thread, couldn't see anyone based in the city, a few out in the nicer greener parts though. I presume the car would need to be present for the programming? Or can it be done just with the primary key?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:57 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Working key and car both need to be present for programming.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:43 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: alletsE. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
I have a few old 9-5 remote keys. I'll send you one with guts but no battery for six pound posted first class....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:33 pm 

Saabotage wrote:
I have a few old 9-5 remote keys. I'll send you one with guts but no battery for six pound posted first class....

So I'd still need the blank after that right? Or you mean blank + guts?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:36 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: alletsE. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
I doubt that you will be lucky to get my old key to fit your car. don't know if anyone can re-grind an existing key. I can send it, you can try it before you pay out for a new blank....