UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:23 am 
Active user

Car Model: 95 2.0 Vector Est Prins LPG :P
Hi All,

My xenon light level light is illuminted on the dash (errors are B3410 and B3420 so both sensors) and so I would like to investigate - Have checked for corrosion on the sensor sockets and they look fine. I'm currently siding that it's a short / broken cable rather than the sensors at the moment. So my first thing to check is if there are some breaks in the cables but after spending a couple of hours looking through WIS, I've been unable to find the right diagram that will tell me the cables route and sockets / pinouts I can tap into to check continuity at certain points. The attached PDFs are what I've compiled. The RH version has the cable colour for the socket that plugs into the load / gravity / level sensors so that will help a little but I could do with a wiring diagram that actually shows the cables.

However, I came across a link to this on this page (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... p?t=178507): https://www.scribd.com/doc/12684710/Xen ... =affiliate

Which I think does give the diagram I need but now I need to find where those sockets are, in particular J206, H43-2, J221, J220, H4-9.

I assume that this doc being for a 2002 will be ok for a 2007 car?

I found one tip which I might check: : "The sensors convert the position of the front and rear axle and sends a 200 Hz pulse with modulated voltage (0-12 volts depending on the position of the car) to pin 6 of the AHL module. In other words, check if pin 6 of the AHL is getting some voltage while car is supplied with power. Try moving the car up and down to see if the voltage varies."....Is the AHL (664 on the diagram?) module on the underneath of the lights?

Is the comms (pulse width signal) line separate for both sensors going to the AHL modules or is it one wire that both senors use to send the signal?

Please can anyone help, especially if anyone has had similar experience and there is a common place that the cabling fails.

many thanks

Rodp

Attachments:
Saab 9-5 xenon light info, E7L01C-2 (images12, Headlamps, Xenon, RH).pdf [122.69 KiB]
Downloaded 3 times
Saab 9-5 xenon light info, E7L01C-1 (images12, Headlamps, Xenon, LH).pdf [109.09 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:28 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 aero sportwagon
To get my lights to work properly on my 2006 aero I had to replace both the front and back leveling sensors and the cable to the front one - as one of the pins in the cables connector block had corroded into the sensor. So when I disconnected the connector block the pin broke away from the connector block on the cable end. Don't know if that helps our not.

The cable came from the same place as I got the front sensor, it was a stock item and connects in just next to the front strut mount under the bonnet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:36 am 
Active user

Cheers Scooby dhu,

I've been checking out the rear sensor so far so this weekend will be checking out the front.

Am hoping i find a break in the short piece of cable at the front then. Depending on which core / pin is broken would that cause the same error message for the rear sensor or do you think I've got two separate faults?

Any further advice from anyone else most welcome.

Thanks

Rodp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:55 am 
Active user

Just googled the search term 'saab 95 j206' and found this pic on drive.com https://www.drive2.com/l/468957928116716774/

The text is in Russian (but google does a good enough translation) but the diagram has a little more info which might help me with the other pinouts on the sensors.

Attachment:
Xenon wiring (44572e1s-960) from drive.com (low res).jpg
Xenon wiring (44572e1s-960) from drive.com (low res).jpg [ 88.82 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]

I'll be adding this to my PDF I think!!

I'm assuming this looks ok? It looks like the pinouts for the front and rear sensor are a little different.

Thanks

Rodp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 am 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Mine went bad earlier in the year. 2007 Aero.. Somehow the pulse was feeding back through to the headlamp relay which made the lights strobe! Even when the switch was off. I wondered why cars moved out of my way!!

If you remove fuse 4 in the underbonnet fuse box, the headlamps should ignore the sensors and return to their last known level, not drop to the ground. You can do this as a get you home, if necessary.

Double check that the connectors are OK. The rear one on mine had the pin corrosion. The pin broke off and stayed in the female side. It went together and came apart with no trouble. It felt OK but wasn't. Look for a tiny bit of green corrosion in one of the holes. I only realised what the problem was when a new connector wouldn't push together. It means a new sensor and lead.

On the front there is a separate connector near the power steering reservoir. So a short length of new cabling.

On the rear the cable runs from the sensor on the RHS across the car to a hole under the rear seat on the left. Inside he car, it disappears into the loom with no connector. So, if you need a new connector, you will have to cut off the old one, and you will also need a length of wire and some crimps to fit the new one.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 am 
Active user

thanks sgould

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:13 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
see here before going too far into the cabling side of things ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 pm 

Car Model: 05 9-5 Aero
Sorry cant help with fixing, attempting to fix mine next week, but was wondering if anyone puts any connector lubricant on the pins to stop it happening again? Something like http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/contralube-770-electrical-contact-protector-8g-sachet.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:52 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

I have used silicone grease which does the same thing, but I only smear it on the seals and into the back of the connectors. It has very high electrical resistance. I'm not certain that the pin connectors have enough clamping force to move the grease out of the way. It's used a lot on motor bikes, but on switches where the grease is about but the contacts are always being moved and the insulating grease scraped off the contact surface.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:05 pm 
Active user

@sounds - thanks for the link - wow - that's corroded! Must admit they did make the pins rather small so no wonder. Fingers crossed it's only a cable issue.

I should really invest in a Tech2 shouldn't I - would be rather helpful. However I do have a scope that I could plug in I suppose. connect to Pin 6 of control module against ground?

Thanks

Rodp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:22 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Here's mine. There should be two rows of three holes...

Attachment:
P1000879.jpg
P1000879.jpg [ 75.42 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:21 pm 
UKS Addict

The front sensor cable can be replaced (there's a join near the power steering reservoir). On mine, replacing that cable plus both sensors sorted the problem (after I'd first replaced the blown fuse with one of the correct rating). I was worried that as the previous owner had fitted a bigger fuse (which had also blown) that they might have damaged the controllers in the headlights themselves, but fortunately not.

Tech2 helped a lot in my diagnosis - especially the live plot of the sensor reading shown in the post I linked to which confirmed the level reading was jumping around when both sensors were connected.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:40 am 
Active user

I've been getting quotes for £40-50 each for new sensors - does this sounds right (it includes the brackets which I'm not really in need of)? These seem to be new ones, struggling to find some second hand ones. I'm sure these sensors are no doubt used on other makes of cars (like the external temp sensor) but have drawn a blank so far.

Thanks

Rodp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:58 am 
Active user

So to aid this thread, I'm still trying to hunt down the location of these points on the diagram - here are my guesses so far

J206
H43-2 - (43 pin) blue connector in connecctor bracket under left hand A pillar (by front n/s wheel arch?)
J221
J220
H4-9 - under the bonnet near the power steering resevoir (thanks sgould and sounds!)

Struggling with the J's

This helped a little bit but didn't have the J's http://workshop-manuals.com/saab/9-5_wagon_(9600)/l4-2.3l_turbo_(b235)/body_and_frame/mirrors/heated_element_mirror/component_information/diagrams/diagram_information_and_instructions/page_10253/

Thanks

Rodp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:24 am 
UKS Addict

I paid £43 each for sensors from eBay and £20 for the front cable from PFS, all pattern parts but fit and working fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 am 
UKS Addict

from WIS:

J206 = "In the engine bay approximately 200mm from the cabin grommet towards the RH indicator lamp"
J221 = "Approx. 505mm from branching point of fuel pump/EVAP pressure switch towards rear left door"
J220 = "Approx. 555mm from branching point of fuel pump/EVAP pressure switch towards rear left door"

but ... as said above, before you go to far into the wiring side, get the sensors checked out first because they share a common output, if either is faulty it will affect the other. I used tech2 to check mine (as per the thread I linked to above) and the real-time display showed:

as you may have guessed from this, replacing the rear sensor fixed the problem. Prior to this - if you had only one connected at a time, the output was stable (but a fault code logged for the other one, of course). With both connected, faults were shown on both sensors - when only one was actually faulty.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:27 pm 
Active user

Update... lots of continuity checking today with a couple of safety pins (which work quite well actually as the multimeter rod things then push into the channel bit of the safety pin!).

-I checked both front and rear sensor, all pins were fine and not corroded / missing.
-All power was being received, fuse no. 4 in the engine bay fuse box was ok. (7.5amp fuse)
-All ground was err grounding.
-And the pulse width signal was linking to both, Ie there was continuity from pin 4 of the rear sensor to pin 4 of the front sensor. What that means is as per above diagram , I have checked as far as J206. I shall have to probably take the front bumper off now in order to check the signal is reaching pin 6 of each light control module now. This is beginning to sound it's the sensors :(

I will however, get my scope out and as H4-9 is easily accessible by the power steering reservoir will 'tap' into the cable there (pin 3 on the connector). Only problem is I can't remember where I put the scope's cables! :roll:

Will update once I've done a little more investigating.

@Sounds... if the sensors were working properly, what would you expect to see on the Tech2 scope screen. A nice smooth constant line which changes in height as you adjust the sensors?

Thanks

Rodp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:46 pm 
UKS Addict

@ Rod - sounds very much like what I had. Realtime display in tech2 should show a steady line for both sensors, responding to movements in the car.

Also - what you'll see in the wiring diagram is that the sensors appear to be indentical. Both have a power and ground (pins 5 and 1, respectively). The signal line (pin 4) is common to both sensors and both headlights. Pin 2 connects to ground for the front sensor and to +12V for the rear sensor.