UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for [you]truly[/you] generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:00 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 Convertible
Hi All.

I guess this must have happened before but can't find a reference on site. Just bought a 2011 9-3 petrol manual 2.0 litre convertible on 38,000 miles and drove back from London. All fine and indeed excellent. Got home and found no locking wheel nut key. There are 2 tyres which I had recognised need to be changed although legal plus obviously you can't really drive around without being able to repair a puncture. Can anyone advise what to do? I have contacted previous owner and he is a genuine individual who is trying to help track it down or indeed sort a new one. It is possible it is at the garage that recently changed the front tyres so it may turn up.

New to SAABS although drove around Scotland in one in 1975. Always liked them and think convertible is an attractive looking vehicle. I have seen things on Youtube where you drive a socket over the nut but obviously don't want to damage anything. Any advice gratefully appreciated and could I thank anyone who reads this post or responds in advance. Also if there is any general advice on caring for the vehicle also appreciated as I intend keeping it for sometime and will join owners club which I intend to do next. Regards, Hugh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Car Model: 96, C900, 9k, 9-3 & 9-5
Hi Hugh,
Welcome to UKSaabs!

Sorry that your first post is for a problem, but that's what we are here for!

My best advice would be to source your tyres and then buy two (or however many you need) new wheel bolts. Let your tyre fitters know in advance that there are some locking nuts they'll need to remove as you have lost the key but have replacements.

That way they'll know the work involved and that the wheels will go back on!

Then, I'd junk the locking nuts! (Or, if you must, buy a new set!)

There are certain tyre chains I wouldn't necessarily recommend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:38 pm 

Brilliant post at 19.00 response by 19.20. I think I know at least one of the chains you mean.

Cheers and thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9 3 Sport Combi 2.0t + Noob
I had the same problem and the very helpful local tyre place took off the old bolts. I slipped the guy £10 and he was happy.
Kwikfit was the place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:40 am 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Car Model: 96, C900, 9k, 9-3 & 9-5
saabHOT wrote:
Kwikfit was the place.

That's the problem with them, some of them are OK, some rubbish.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:25 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
I had the same on a car I bought a year or two ago. A local tyre fitter had an assortment of spare keys which didn't fit, they then used the "dynomec" extractor to remove the existing bolts - I bought a replacement set from them and fitted these when I got home, think it cost me £30 all in ... if that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:46 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5s <sigh> six of 'em
Welcome to UKS.

I've had two occasions where this has happened to me and both times I've checked with the garage and explained that there will be regular bolts to replace them. Both times they managed. I think a garage would be reluctant to damage a Locking Bolt to remove it if there isn't a replacement to secure the wheel.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:16 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; VW T5 TDI
Hughtuba wrote:
Hi All.

I guess this must have happened before but can't find a reference on site. Just bought a 2011 9-3 petrol manual 2.0 litre convertible on 38,000 miles and drove back from London. All fine and indeed excellent. Got home and found no locking wheel nut key. There are 2 tyres which I had recognised need to be changed although legal plus obviously you can't really drive around without being able to repair a puncture. Can anyone advise what to do? I have contacted previous owner and he is a genuine individual who is trying to help track it down or indeed sort a new one. It is possible it is at the garage that recently changed the front tyres so it may turn up.

New to SAABS although drove around Scotland in one in 1975. Always liked them and think convertible is an attractive looking vehicle. I have seen things on Youtube where you drive a socket over the nut but obviously don't want to damage anything. Any advice gratefully appreciated and could I thank anyone who reads this post or responds in advance. Also if there is any general advice on caring for the vehicle also appreciated as I intend keeping it for sometime and will join owners club which I intend to do next. Regards, Hugh
Good luck with this. I had all my locking nuts replaced by my mechanic when he found that one had split up. Not many people steal saab wheels, certainly not for any reason other than malice.

If you join the owners club, I am the club registrar for your model. Would be glad to have you as a member. :)

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:33 pm 

Not sure if people will pick up this as the site seems very busy but just wanted to record my thanks to one and all who responded or read post. Problem solved by booking two new tyres and went from there. Happy motoring one and all, Cheers, Hugh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5s <sigh> six of 'em
Glad you got it resolved Hugh.