UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:36 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2001 9-5 2.3T Aero
I have a question about the above that I'd like to do to update the odb standard of the car and make reading the ecu easier. I read that on esp equipped cars its a short route from steering column to odb port, but on tcs cars you tap into the p-bus in the loom connections in the LH a pillar. On a LHD car that's a short run from the A pillar to the odb port. With us here having RHD cars getting from the bottom of the LH A pillar to the odb port on the right side doesn't have a easy route from what I can see.
Has anyone here done this or have experience on how to get wiring from one side of the dash to the other safely and out of sight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Best way to see what you are doing is to remove the glovebox and radio.

Glovebox needs the protection cover over the aircon pipes removing in the RHS of the passenger footwell - one or two clips. The cardboard panel under the glovebox unscrews and slides out. Followed by the glovebox itself. All screws around the end nearest to you. Disconnect the glovebox cold air pipe and the light connector. Easy job. The only thing to check is that the two aircon pipes exposed are at extremes of temperature if the engine has been running. One very hot one cold.

Radio needs a pair of cheap removal tools, about £2 from Halfords.

You could also pull off the fusebox cover on the drivers end of the dashboard and press out the headlamp switch. If you pull off the dashboard end cover on the passenger side, you can see most of the way across and feel it if you can't. I did this to wire up the DAB radio and all the accessories.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 pm 
Active user

I had a bit of a look with the glovebox and radio out and it still looked tight. I'm worried about cables getting trapped when the glovebox and radio are put back in and how to get round or over that massive ACC unit in the middle. I'll take another look and try and make a note of what to secure the cables to, I really want to avoid grounding either p-bus wire for obvious reasons.
Thanks for the tip about taking the dash end covers off to see through, I didn't think of that one. I guess poking a couple of unconnected wires through as a test won't hurt anything.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
I have a length of plastic flexi rod. It was the inner core of the mechanical drive cable to the speedometer in my old Austin. The end broke, but a piece of semi-rigid plastic rod is very useful.

The cables across the car are taped to the existing ones. No issues in many years and I have changed the whole radio for an aftermarket one, fitted a Parrot phone kit and an after market DAB unit, among other things. Just be careful of the bright yellow wires above the glovebox. That's the airbag feed.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:57 pm 
Active user

Might have found a different connection point. Found a site with the component locations of the p-bus parts, although it's for LHD cars it shows the TCM module location in the RH footwell. If the TCM module is there it should be as easy for us RHD owners to connect to the p-bus there as it is for LHD owners to connect to the loom in the A pillar. Also avoids running wiring through the bulkhead to the ecu.