UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:12 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1992 900i, 1984 T16S “Snufkin”
Ideas on how to get the sender out? The gauge says the tank is empty: but it should be half full, so I want to physically check how much fuel is in the tank...

Attachments:
30905E65-E448-4E3D-B50C-0A2A44D2675F.jpeg
30905E65-E448-4E3D-B50C-0A2A44D2675F.jpeg [ 37.15 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:59 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1987 SAAB 900i
You need to unscrew the big black nut in your photo, although there's not a lot of hand room in that inspection hole if I recall.
Thinking back how I achieved the same feat in another car, i used a flat blade screw driver and a mallet to *gently* tap the nut round to get it loosened, the 'lugs' on top face of the nut are there for that purpose.
Alternatively, you can use a wide necked pair of water pump pliers to drag it round. Mine wasn't on that tight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:05 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

^^^ I know that it unscrews - it's not budging. If it's like the fuel pump it's gonna be real tight.
Water pump pliers - that's the kind of MacGyver thinking I like - I'll have a go tomorrow. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:51 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: C900 T16S
The red water pump pliers in your tool kit will normally do the job.
The plastic collar holding the sender shouldn't be that tight, I've done several over the years and never had a problem.
If you want to test your fuel gauge, short one of the wires to earth with the ignition on, one wire should illuminate the low fuel level light and the other should make the fuel gauge read full.
It's probably the sender that's broken, I wouldn't be surprised if it's fallen apart and theres a couple of bits floating around in your tank, they're a bit fragile !
I'm not sure if new senders are still available, when I replaced mine a couple of years ago I bought a good used one from one of the fine chaps on this forum.

Good Luck !

Webby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:37 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

That's odd - I posted earlier with news. Wonder where that went....?
Managed to get the sender out, as expected half a tank of fuel in the tank, not empty as the gauge was saying. Connected the sender to the wiring and all working fine, up to the top of the gauge and down to the bottom with the fuel light on. Put the sender back in the tank and nope - showing empty. So the wiring and gauge work and the sender tells the gauge correctly when removed, but not when installed. I'll have another go next month and just keep the tank half full to full, so the gauge reads.
Somewhere there is a spare sender, so it's not the end of the world, just odd that all of a sudden this issue has appeared.
Managed to replace the OS sidelight bulb holder and wiring to get that fixed, so making progress.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:55 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Sounds like maybe a leaking or sticking float.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:04 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

The float doesn’t stick when I manually move the sender orientation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:08 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Dr Rock wrote:
The float doesn’t stick when I manually move the sender orientation.

Then maybe its punctured, I assume that the float's hollow but I can't say for sure, I've never looked.
I have an old sender in the garage, I'll have a look but I have a feeling that the insides of it might still be in my tank :argh:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:15 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Struggling to see how it can suddenly become punctured. I’ll see if I can rig up a test bed for it out of the tank to see if I can find out what is happening. Many thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:16 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: c900 verts and tin top
you say the float doesn't stick, but does it go all the way end to end, connect it up out of tank and see if your gauge reads same as in tank. I had one that was similar, and the base party had twisted slightly, out of parrallel with the top, so that the float moved but not all the way just had to hold the top end and move the bottom end, you will have to try both ways to see which way it needs to go as if it goes too far the wrong way it won't slide at all, just a case of try till solve. Make sure float is at top end before twisting botom only need a few mm max to lock or free

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:28 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Filled the tank up to the brim just now and everything is working fine :roll:
I'll monitor how it goes. Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.