UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
THIS FORUM IS NOT TO BE USED FOR PLACING ''FOR SALE'' OR ''WANTED'' ADVERTS, PLEASE USE THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR SUCH POSTS.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:21 pm 
Active user

Car Model: '85 900 T16S
Hi, I’ve got my old flywheel off ready to fit a T5 one from JamSaab. I’ve just noticed the double slot doesn’t seem to be in the same position relative to the TDC mark as on the diagram I found online. Does this matter and where does it mean should I mount the CPS on the backplate?

My flywheel

The blueprint I found online - note the TDC mark is much closer to the double slot:

What do I do? Thanks - really need this back on the road for next week and I don’t want to have to reassemble it without fitting the CPS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:25 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

The position of the missing teeth in relation to the flywheel mark dictates where the sensor needs to be mounted. You need to check this but from memory the trionic trigger point is 120 degrees before TDC. So 60 teeth means each tooth = 6 degrees. 120 divided by 6 = 20 teeth. So at TDC the sensor should be 20 teeth past the the gap. You really need to build some adjustability into the sensor mounting for fine adjustment. Does Martin not supply a back plate already prepared for the sensor or provide some dimensions?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:11 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Looking at your picture again is that a separate ring that can be adjusted to where you need it or is it machined into the flywheel?
There is a convenient hole in the flywheel back plate that looks as though it should be in the right place.
Suggest you mark the 20th tooth after the slot, put the flywheel on, set the engine to TDC and see if you can see the marked tooth through the hole.
If your flywheel is from a 9000 (for a bigger clutch) then the TDC marks are not positioned the same as a 900 so this could be why you have a difference. Critical thing is the relation of the teeth to the hole for the crank dowel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:50 pm 
Active user

Think I’ve sussed it, it seems the diagram is wrong in the position of the double slot relative to TDC. Counting twenty teeth from the double slot produced a result that matched up with the usual guide of across from the blank hole in the back plate (forgot to take a photo). Anyway it’s mounted but it’ll be a bit longer before I find out if it works. Keeping LH2.2 for another week or so yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:11 am 
Active user

Nope, the above is wrong - according to JamSaab the CPS should be in the middle of the pre existing hole in the backplate for his flywheels. Can’t seem to work out what that lines up with reference wise because it doesn’t seem to correlate with anything else I’ve read - IE 20 slots from the double slot, 170 degrees from TDC but that’s the official word.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:42 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

How are you setting TDC? If it's a 9000 flywheel and you're using the timing marks on the flywheel it won't be TDC. Are you counting slots in the correct direction? At TDC the sensor should be 20 slots AFTER the wide slot in the direction of rotation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:35 am 
Active user

Good thinking but no it’s a standard ‘90-93 900 flywheel, I just swapped away from a 9000 one. It’s all mounted now so I’m just gonna fit the rest of T5 and compare the actual timing to what T5suite says and go from there.