UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:55 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1992 Saab 900 s
Hi guys,

Basically my rear parcel shelf doesn’t seem to sit flush properly in my boot. It slides to one side. When i try and lift it and clip it to the hatch it catches the bracket at the bottom, unless i use two hands and manipulate it. Because of it not sitting flush it rattles like crazy in the boot when I’m driving.

When i bend down and try and look at the way the metal brackets sit in the boot at eye level it looks as if they are bent downwards. But maybe thats the way they are meant to be? I can’t tell if my parcel shelf is warped or if my brackets are bent or a combination of the two.

If anyone reading this could chime in and let me know if there’s sit flush or even take a few pictures that would be great.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:58 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900Ruby,vert, 9000, 99, Sonett
I've never seen a "warped"one. They are flat so that they can be laid on the boot floor to increase the luggage space.
There could be some wear where the shelf "hinges". Look under the shelf for wear in this area. It shouldn't move or slide though, it's held in place by the "cushion" on the tailgate, under the window.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:10 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: C900 T16S
The parcel shelf should sit a little lower than the side trim, the area with the rear speakers.
I guess the metal brackets you mention are the ones the forward end of shelf slides under, these should be flat with plastic covers.
Is your parcel shelf original ? They should not slide to one side, there's no room,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:35 pm 
Active user

I think the parcel shelf could definitely warp as it’s only made of wood. Mine is definitely slightly warped as when i take mine out and put on the ground edgeways there looks to be a bend in it. When i push my parcel shelf in under the brackets, you can move the end of it left and right. This is actually a lot harder to explain than i thought.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:38 pm 
Active user

Ursa Minor wrote:
I've never seen a "warped"one. They are flat so that they can be laid on the boot floor to increase the luggage space.
There could be some wear where the shelf "hinges". Look under the shelf for wear in this area. It shouldn't move or slide though, it's held in place by the "cushion" on the tailgate, under the window.

I do have wear on the passenger side of the shelf where it hinges. When i lift my shelf up the black stop that is on the shelf manages to slide inbetween the bracket. Do you know how to remove the carpeting around the speaker to get at the screws holding in the brackets?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:16 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1992 900i, 1984 T16S “Snufkin”
You don’t have to remove any carpet to undo screws.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:35 pm 
Active user

Dr Rock wrote:
You don’t have to remove any carpet to undo screws.

Sorry I don’t mean carpet, but you know the carpet like covering that goes around the bracket. I can see the screws behind it but i would have to bend all of it out of my way to get at them. Is there a easier way without damaging the cover?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:57 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1992 900i, 1984 T16S “Snufkin”
Any pics of said area?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:55 pm 
Active user

Dr Rock wrote:
Any pics of said area?

I’m not with the car at the moment but i will put up plenty of pics when i have it back thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:11 pm 
Mine has the same issue, the reason is that the plastic trim pieces on the "hinges" are missing (or at least the off-side one), this results in the stop on the parcel shelf sliding under the hinge instead of resting against it. I wonder if they're still available from Orio?

With trim in place:

Trim missing:

The shelves/ brackets (the ones with the speaker grilles) the parcel shelf rests on are spot-welded in place, not screwed. The mouldings/ upholstery pieces on the shelves are held in place with push-in clips, you can pull them out with a screwdriver or a knife and then the mouldings can be removed (I've recently done this to install rear speakers). In my 900 both shelves are sagging; I've tried to bend them back, but one side has a broken spot weld. My parcel shelf is also sagging/ bent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:15 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

melle wrote:
I wonder if they're still available from Orio?

Unfortunately not, in any of the 6 or 7 colours they were originally made in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:18 pm 
That's a shame Bill. I've robbed a few from scrap cars over the years, but they've all disintegrated now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:41 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: C900 T16S
Probably worth trying to bodge something, a couple of layers of insulating tape wound round them would probably work.
I wonder if it would be possible to 3D print a replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 pm 
Not too difficult to 3D print, but it's never bothered me enough to do that or bodge something.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm 
Active user

melle wrote:
Mine has the same issue, the reason is that the plastic trim pieces on the "hinges" are missing (or at least the off-side one), this results in the stop on the parcel shelf sliding under the hinge instead of resting against it. I wonder if they're still available from Orio?

With trim in place:

Trim missing:

The shelves/ brackets (the ones with the speaker grilles) the parcel shelf rests on are spot-welded in place, not screwed. The mouldings/ upholstery pieces on the shelves are held in place with push-in clips, you can pull them out with a screwdriver or a knife and then the mouldings can be removed (I've recently done this to install rear speakers). In my 900 both shelves are sagging; I've tried to bend them back, but one side has a broken spot weld. My parcel shelf is also sagging/ bent.

Yes i have almost the exact same problem, when i lift the parcel shelf the left hand side slides under the metal part which is covered in trim. My only difference is that i have both pieces of plastic trim, it’s just the a actual metal part itself i loose and pushing up allowing the black stopper piece to slide underneath it. I need to tighten the two torx screws holding it together. So you’re saying i just pull the upholstery cover straight off? Will the speaker grill come with it?

Attachments:
75A4D95F-A254-415A-B82D-338F022773F4.jpeg
75A4D95F-A254-415A-B82D-338F022773F4.jpeg [ 296.71 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:04 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1987 SAAB 900i
Are these the pieces that you are looking for:
Attachment:
20190815_165130754_iOS.jpg
20190815_165130754_iOS.jpg [ 237.78 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

Attachment:
20190815_165146897_iOS.jpg
20190815_165146897_iOS.jpg [ 199.05 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

I have a saloon, so I can't use them, I got them off 16saabs about a month ago. I have four, but really only three are serviceable.
If anyone wants one, PM me and I'll post them out gratis, (courtesy of the franking machine at work!). Although I'm on holiday next week, so it might be a while. Condition is a bit scabby (photos refer). This last picture is the 'unserviceable' one. I guess that they are handed.
Attachment:
20190815_165156202_iOS.jpg
20190815_165156202_iOS.jpg [ 220.99 KiB | Viewed 537 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:17 pm 
If I could have the good black one and the grey one that'd be awesome, I'm missing both now. I'll PM you!

Kildaresaab, I'll try and get back to you with some pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:42 pm 
Active user

melle wrote:
If I could have the good black one and the grey one that'd be awesome, I'm missing both now. I'll PM you!

Kildaresaab, I'll try and get back to you with some pics tomorrow.

That would be great thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:21 pm 
Sorry it's been persisting it down all day here, will try tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:14 am 
Here you can see one of the plastic fasteners holding the upholstery in place; there are two and they push/ pull out. The other side of the shelf upholstery clips under the side/ headliner moulding, just pull on it to get it out.

The screws on the hinges can be accessed without removing any of the upholstery.

The shelves are spot welded to the body. If they're sagging, you can try and gently nudge them upwards, be careful not to crack the welds. It might also be beneficial to only bend the "tracks" where the parcel shelf rest on, e.g. with an adjustable spanner. I just did this and installed the plastic trims CaptainBoom kindly sent me (thanks!) and it completely solved the issue on my car.

Hope this helps!