UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:56 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

Post subject: Saab 99 turbo help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:29 pm 

Car Model: Saab 99 turbo
Hi all I have recently purchased a Saab 99 turbo that requires a huge restoration it's been off the road since 1991 and only shows 51 thousand. I am having running issues I have removed the tank cleaned the tank out as the rubber dingy thing had basiclly disintegrated replaced the fuel pump and a new rubber dingy removed the metering head and rebuilt it replaced the fuel filter new plugs changed the oil and she fired up however it runs on around 3 cylinders and when you rev it I have sever misfiring. I haven't fully checked the injectors however I did a small test by just priming the pump with the ignition key and they seem to spray fairly well? The spark seems faily weak when i took a plug out and let it earth against the cam cover any ideas?
My initial thoughts are coil and leads?
Thanks Jonny

Post subject: Re: Saab 99 turbo help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:47 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 99 T16 project
If you have a compression tester I'd check that as well, sometimes a compression related misfire seems to go away at higher revs. If you need to buy one I have a cheap Gunson one that has helped me out a few times.
It would also give you an idea of the general wear in your engine to gauge whether it needs looked at whilst restoring.
Ian

1962 96
Amethyst 9000 CSE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:56 pm 

Yeah I have one already just haven't had time to do one i will have to remove the engine anyway way some point as the car is full of rot as I imagine they all are.. I just want to get it running properly so I can move it around to start doing all the inner and outer wheel arches I find keeping the car as complete as possible better than a full stip down especially with limited time. I have a feeling it's fuel or ignition related rather than mechanical but that is something I should rule out do you know what the compression should be?

Thanks Jonny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:59 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 99T
i would have thought 150 psi. little varience between all four is the key

If cn get the car chug chug chugging then try removing plug lead one by one. if no differance then that cylinder is suspect

Check plug leads coil and dizzy cap. Simple stuff first :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:18 pm 

Yeah it seems to be number 4 that is making less difference lead removed or on. I will change the leads and coil first see if that makes a difference I have already changed the dizzy and Rota and plugs. I picked up some 900 8v leads and a coil from Saab bits the guy reckons they will be ok on it? Thanks Jonny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:22 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab 99 Turbo
Hello Jonny, good to hear another 99T is being worked-on. If the car has stood for a long time all sorts of gremlins come out to play. I found that if you can keep it running long enough (and do keep a close eye on the temperature gauge!) then things get progressively better. All the above advise is good, plus of course clean fuel and replace the fuel filter once it has run a little while.

You do realise that a picture of your car is compulsory? :lol:

Black 99GL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:41 am 

I found the problem it was one of the fuel pipes going to the injectors when i moved the injector pipe to another cylinder it changed the cylinder that missfired so i put a set of new braided lines it had restticted flow on the line and it runs like a dream engine seems super fit really quite and responsive. Shame i have a welding odosy ahead... yeah i will get some pictures on soon i have one when i picked it up from the barn lockup timewarped. Need to rebuild callipers now try and source some rebuild kits and new discs and pads... i could do with some info on where the wiring from the fan goes as mine is broken off as it comes out of from the front on the radiator and i cant see what it joins onto if you know? I was looking these 99 turbos are very rare now...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:43 am 

Wow did i read that correctly you have 3 99 turbos...good job!!! What versions are they? Mine is the non hatch back version with no sunroof.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:38 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab 99 Turbo
Good morning Jonny, my current tally is 1 x black two door 99T, 1 x red two door 99T 1 x beige 2 door GL with turbo underpinnings and a standard 2 door black GL... Having a barn helps... 8)

Temperature OK on yours? Peter

Black 99GL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:39 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

do you have wiring diagram [Haynes]

there are three componants:

The fan
Thermoswitch on radiator
Relay at the fuse box

The wiring is simple but I am not sure what route it takes, but i think there is a two contact connecter near the fan

Will try and take a look at mine later to see whats what ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:13 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Q: " the wiring from the fan goes as mine is broken off as it comes out of from the front on the radiator and i cant see what it joins onto if you know? "

Attached is a picture of an old 99T fan. You can see it has a twin wire lead which is terminated in a twin plug both with male blades

That lead runs from the fan to a twin socket inside the engine bay just down near the front RH headlamp

I hope this helps, although perhaps you will ask about the Radiator Thermo switch on the other side of the engine bay ? much more challenging taking pics of that :lol:

Keep up good work

Attachments:
P1020153.JPG
P1020153.JPG [ 169.5 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]
P1020151.JPG
P1020151.JPG [ 158 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]
P1020150.JPG
P1020150.JPG [ 155.5 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:36 pm 

The temprature gauge dosent work it has no reading haha.. the thermo wires are ok on the left hand side the ones you have picture are broken off at that connector so that could be very helpful however im not sure the ones from the relay to the fan connector are there i need to check thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:52 pm 

Do the black and green go into the wiring loom off the fan connector block shown cant quite see?