UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

Post subject: 1989 900 non start
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm 

Car Model: 9000
Hi
I am looking for a little help, apologise for the long post but please bear with me
I have been asked to look at this 900 convertible which has not started since the owner jump started a friends scooter.
The AA were initially called who suspected the fuel pump relay as the pump does not run when the ignition is switched on. Fuses are all good but he could not locate the relay.
I was called out to look, the vehicle is slightly odd in that it has the EKZ ignition module and amp n the N/S wing, and the injection and fuel pump relays above the LH 2.2 Ecu by the drivers right foot.
On ignition the fuel relay is earthed by the LH unit and supply’s the L/H unit on pin 9 and also the coil for the pump relay.
The pump relay should be triggered by the LH unit and then supply the fuel pump and the fuel injectors (neither of which it is doing because with ign on, pin 17 on the LH unit does not switch to earth)
As supply’s and earths are correct, on the face of it, it would look like a faulty LH unit, except,....
If I earth the relay, pump runs, supply at injectors now correct but it won’t fire up because there is no injection pulse(possible if unit is faulty), but also there is no ignition coil trigger so no spark?
Supply’s & earths correct at the EKZ module and ignition amp, so...
Is the owner correct in saying he thinks the fuel pump always runs up on ignition OR do both the EKZ and LH units only trigger when the CKP signal is seen? As this is the only way I can make sense of what I have unless I have a faulty ckp sensor or a faulty EKZ unit and a faulty LH unit!
Does anyone run one with this set up? I make it a T16 1989, and can they confirm the does the pump run up on ignition or as I hope, just on crank.
Also please does anyone have the test voltages for the ckp sensor? I’m assuming it’s just an inductive two wire (red and green/red) the black being ground/screen.

Thanks for wading through
Andy

Post subject: Re: 1989 900 non start
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:07 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

sparki1 wrote:
Does anyone run one with this set up? I make it a T16 1989, and can they confirm the does the pump run up on ignition or as I hope, just on crank.
Thanks for wading through
Andy

Are you saying this car is a 1989 T16?

T16 does not use EZK and does not have a crank sensor.
Crank sensors on non turbo's are hall effect not inductive.

Either way pump should run briefly with ignition on and then stop until ECU sees ignition pulses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:08 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9000 Aero, 900 Ruby, + others
Can you hear the pump working in the boot on trying to start?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:04 am 

Car Model: 9000
The only diagram and component layout that matches what I have is for a T16 with LH 2.2 fuel Ecu and the ignition ecu and amp in the wing forward of the fuse box.
The diagram I found that matches what I have is on Townsendimports.com
With a scope on both ckp wires referenced to earth I do get a 11v trace on one chanel but didn’t know if it was a bias voltage or just a transient, but if as you say it’s a hall sensor then I should have seen a trace on the other wire but got nothing.
So if I accept the ckp is not triggering the ignition Ecu, why does the fuel pump relay not trigger the pump on ignition or crank?

Thanks
Sparki