UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 8V-V4
My '88 900's gear shift has never been the smoothest, but it's become very notchy off late. No gear crunching, which makes me assume it's not a clutch issue, just really difficult to get into any gear including reverse, at any speed and no difference between cold and warm engine. The car has 200k km on the clock.

I've been using 75W transmission oil since having the car (2011), but changed it to 10W30 last month to see if that made a difference (in case of e.g. a synchro issue). I've also replaced the clutch slave which was past its best, and of course the fluid (all of it as I do every other year) and I've bled the system using an Eezibleed. The symptoms only got worse, but progressively, so the problem doesn't seem related.

I've overhauled the clutch master a few years ago, clutch kit is only a few years old and still looked good when I replaced the slave. The rubber joint (the older type with the clamp) looks in good condition and I've adjusted the shifter (joint + shifter pin) last year. It seems unlikely the position of the rubber joint changes over time? I'm sure the nut is done up well enough to prevent the joint from moving. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:33 pm 
UKS Addict

Location: REMAINING UNFAITHFUL TO FACTORY STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS SINCE 1988
Car Model: OLD SAABS....NUMEROUS
EVENING MELLE,

IT IS WORTH CHECKING THE CLUTCH PEDAL LINKAGE IS NOT CRACKED ON THE WELD,AND ALSO NO 'FREEPLAY' IN THE CLEVIS PIN/LINKAGE HOLE...
ASIDES TO THAT, A POOR QUALITY CLUTCH KIT AND /OR WEAK SPRINGS IN THE PRESSURE PLATE CAN CREATE THESE SYMPTOMS...

BIRDIE

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm 
Saab Nut

Thanks for your feedback Jools. I used a LUK clutch kit, not sure of their reputation? They work OK for me in V4s at least. I replaced the clutch 3.5 years/ 13.5k miles ago, the pedal feel is good and the car doesn't creep with the pedal depressed and the box in gear. Clutch pedal and clevis/ hole were OK when I checked last year when I adjusted the shifter, will check again. Please note my car is LHD, so there's a little less that can go wrong in terms of wear than on RHD cars with the slightly more involved pedal set-up. I the think next thing I will do is recheck the shifter adjustment, must be doable without a lift? The gearbox is nice and quiet by the way, also no funny noises from the clutch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:18 am 
UKS Addict

Location: REMAINING UNFAITHFUL TO FACTORY STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS SINCE 1988
Car Model: OLD SAABS....NUMEROUS
OTHER ISSUE'S I HAVE HAD PREVIOUSLY(CANNOT REMEMBER THE MODEL YEAR,AS AM ALWAYS SWAPPING GEARBOXES OUT) IS THAT 'SAAB' USED A PINCH BOLT ARRANGEMENT,MAYBE THE OLDER TYPE WITH THE CLAMP? ON THE RUBBER JOINT,RATHER THAN THE TWO TAPER PINS...

I HAVE HAD THIS 'LOOSEN' OVER TIME,AND A SMALL AMOUNT OF PLAY DEVELOP,RESULTING IN DIFFICULTY ENGAGING....,AS IT 'SPINS' ON THE ROD SELECTOR.

ALSO IF THE INTERNAL 5 SPEED 'SHIFTER' IS RETAINED,BUT A GEARBOX SWAP,HAS BEEN CARRIED OUT....IT CAN HAPPEN,THAT THE GEARLEVER 'CENTRALISING' SPRING, IS NOT RETAINED,OR CAN BE 'DOUBLED UP',AS SOME YEARS HAD IT MOUNTED ON THE GEARLEVER MECHANISM,SOME (LATER,I THINK) WAS MOUNTED INTERNALLY IN GEARBOX.....

THIS DRASTICALLY AFFECTS THE 'GEARCHANGE' QUALITY......

IT IS WORTH CHECKING THE THREE 'TRIPOD' NUTS,ON THE GEARLEVER HOUSING ARE NOT LOOSE...

LIKE YOURSELF,I ONLY RUN ROAD-GOING 99/C900 GEARBOXES ON ENGINE OIL(GIVES MUCH LIGHTER GEARCHANGE)SO THAT OPTION HAS ALSO BEEN EXPLORED...

C900 CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDERS,DEVELOP A SMALL CORROSION CRATER,IN THE BASE OF THE BORE(BRAKE FLUID BEING HYGROSCOPIC) OVER TIME,AND CAN OPERATE LIKE THIS 'UNDETECTED' UNTIL INSPECTED INTERNALLY....OF COURSE,THIS ALLOWS A SMALL AMOUNT OF HYDRAULIC PRESSURE TO ESCAPE,WHILST THE CLUTCH IS IN USE,CAUSING MINIMAL 'DRAG' ON THE CLUTCH...

OR INDEED,THE HYDRAULIC PIPE,FROM MASTER TO SLAVE,CAN DEVELOP A FAILURE ON THE 'FLEXI' SECTION,EFFECTIVELY 'BALLOONING' EVERY TIME YOU PRESS THE PEDAL....ASSISTANT REQUIRED.

'LUK' CLUTCHES ARE USUALLY VERY GOOD IN 99/C900,BUT I HAVE HAD SERIOUS ISSUE WITH THEM,IN 'DUAL MASS' FORM IN LATER 9-3....BUT,THAT'S ANOTHER STORY...

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:19 am 
Saab Nut

BIRDIEMANGO wrote:
THAT 'SAAB' USED A PINCH BOLT ARRANGEMENT,MAYBE THE OLDER TYPE WITH THE CLAMP? ON THE RUBBER JOINT,RATHER THAN THE TWO TAPER PINS...

I HAVE HAD THIS 'LOOSEN' OVER TIME,AND A SMALL AMOUNT OF PLAY DEVELOP,RESULTING IN DIFFICULTY ENGAGING....,AS IT 'SPINS' ON THE ROD SELECTOR.
My car has the joint with a tapered pin on the gearbox side and a clamp with a bolt on the gear lever side; will check it again.

BIRDIEMANGO wrote:
ALSO IF THE INTERNAL 5 SPEED 'SHIFTER' IS RETAINED,BUT A GEARBOX SWAP,HAS BEEN CARRIED OUT....IT CAN HAPPEN,THAT THE GEARLEVER 'CENTRALISING' SPRING, IS NOT RETAINED,OR CAN BE 'DOUBLED UP',AS SOME YEARS HAD IT MOUNTED ON THE GEARLEVER MECHANISM,SOME (LATER,I THINK) WAS MOUNTED INTERNALLY IN GEARBOX.....
I have no reason to assume the box has ever been changed.

BIRDIEMANGO wrote:
IT IS WORTH CHECKING THE THREE 'TRIPOD' NUTS,ON THE GEARLEVER HOUSING ARE NOT LOOSE...
Had the gear lever out last week to check the pin adjustment, so I'm sure the bolts are tight.

BIRDIEMANGO wrote:
LIKE YOURSELF,I ONLY RUN ROAD-GOING 99/C900 GEARBOXES ON ENGINE OIL(GIVES MUCH LIGHTER GEARCHANGE)SO THAT OPTION HAS ALSO BEEN EXPLORED...
That's reassuring!

BIRDIEMANGO wrote:
C900 CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDERS,DEVELOP A SMALL CORROSION CRATER,IN THE BASE OF THE BORE(BRAKE FLUID BEING HYGROSCOPIC) OVER TIME,AND CAN OPERATE LIKE THIS 'UNDETECTED' UNTIL INSPECTED INTERNALLY....OF COURSE,THIS ALLOWS A SMALL AMOUNT OF HYDRAULIC PRESSURE TO ESCAPE,WHILST THE CLUTCH IS IN USE,CAUSING MINIMAL 'DRAG' ON THE CLUTCH...
When I overhauled the master it was in excellent condition.

BIRDIEMANGO wrote:
OR INDEED,THE HYDRAULIC PIPE,FROM MASTER TO SLAVE,CAN DEVELOP A FAILURE ON THE 'FLEXI' SECTION,EFFECTIVELY 'BALLOONING' EVERY TIME YOU PRESS THE PEDAL....ASSISTANT REQUIRED.
Good call, hadn't thought of that and will check. As said in my opening post, I had kind of assumed it's not the clutch, but as we all know, assumption is the mother of all eh... things that go wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:20 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

How are your engine mounts? I had trouble selecting 5th when my driver's side hydraulic mount was leaking fluid and collapsing.

77 Chev C10
78 99T
01 9-5 Aero
02 9-3 Aero
03 Octavia VRS
04 Monaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 am 
Saab Nut

I replaced all three (non hydraulic) engine mounts a few years ago with original Saab items.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:54 pm 
Saab Nut

Checked the flexi hose today, seems OK. Instigations will continue when time and weather permit.