UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 pm 
Active user

Car Model: C900 turbo
Hi all, I've just changed the seals in the clutch master cylinder, no probs, however I can't get any fluid out of the slave.
I'm using a Laser 4832 tool to pressure up the brake fluid reservoir.
I made sure that the rod/seals were pushed ( after the circlip was put back in place ) as far back as possible towards the pedal.
Even when I removed the slave bleed nipple to check if it was blocked ( it wasn't ) nothing came out.
I very carefully poked a piece of copper wire into the slave to see if that was blocked, it wasn't.

So, what have I missed?
As always any advise is much appreciated, cheers, Ian.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 99L,9000,9-5, Rovers & Imp
When I did my 99 I just blew down it so it doesn't take much pressure.

Of the two seals one acts as a one way valve, when foot istn't on the peddle ( or being let off ) it allows fluid in, when foot is on the peddle it seals. Therefore it needs a bit of slack on the peddle to allow fluid in.

Can't remember the Saab setup but on most cars there should be some adjustment ( threaded rod ) between the peddle and cylinder rod.

1997 9000
2006 9-5 2.3
1957 P4 90
1968 Imp Super
1974 P6 3500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 99 T16 project
the last hydraulic clutch I bled I did so using a clean oil can filled with brake fluid, connected to the bleed nipple with a short piece of hose, I just pumped until the reservoir started gaining then tightened the nipple

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm 
Active user

Thanks for the replies, I found the problem by chance. I thought before I removed the master cylinder again to check that all was well I'd change the hose from the reservoir to the master cylinder as it was looking a bit tired. I tried to drain the "clutch compartment" within the brake reservoir but a clear gel like substance was blocking the exit. After a good clean and fresh brake fluid it bled a treat.
Needless to say a full brake fluid change is on the cards very soon, even though the fluid looks clean.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45 am 
Active user

JohnKeane, like your 99 when I was able to bleed the system it took very little pressure, and on my 900 there's a solid rod between pedal and master cylinder so no adjustment.

ianlaw, I've heard of reverse bleeding before and would have tried it if I hadn't found the gel like stuff first, like the idea of the oil can though.

I'm please the way the seal kit is performing but I think I'm going to source a new master cylinder just in case. I keep hearing an old mechanic I used to work with say, " old and new together no never".

Cheers all, Ian.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:52 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9000 Aero, 900 Ruby, + others
Every time I've changed hydraulic clutch pipes its always been a bugger to get the pedal back but back bleeding always sorts out the trapped air.
I have a small oil can with a 12" small bore hose attached ready for next time.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:16 am 
Active user

Guess what I bought yesterday? Yep, oil can, thanks for the idea.