UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:48 pm 

Car Model: 900 T16 Ruby
Looking to upgrade my suspension on the c900 Ruby and am thinking of Bilstein shocks with kilens springs.

What would you recommend? It is a Ruby so its got the sports suspension.
If you know to a cheap online link too (i dont want to pay a fortune) i would be grateful.

Ive found these off the official website. What you reckon?

http://www.bilsteinsuspensionstore.co.u ... %7C12%2F93

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

The sport suspension was not part of the "Ruby" spec. It would have had standard T16 springs.
I grew to hate the Kilen/B6 setup I fitted to my T16S. I think that was mostly down to the springs. While it handled well, the ride was awful, even on the 15" wheels I preferred (they gave better handling on "real" back-roads than 16").
It's off the road awaiting some MOT work (fairly major welding work) but when I return it to the road it will be on brand new T16S springs along with the B6 shocks.

Oh, and the Kilens were a failure point on the last MOT because the front ones were so short they could be wiggled around by hand with the wheels off the ground. That check appears to have become part of the MOT procedure recently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900Ruby,vert, 9000, 99, Sonett
BillJ wrote:
The sport suspension was not part of the "Ruby" spec. ...

The Ruby originally was fitted with sports suspension when new. Like the engine, it had the same specification as the Carlsson.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Since I know you have a Ruby, Andy, I stand corrected.
The rest of my response still stands. I wouldn't fit Kilens to a 900 again. When we chose springs for GirlySaabFan's Abbott T7, we chose Abbot springs. Partly to keep with the Abbott theme (the T7 left Abbott with engine tweaks and standard suspension) and partly because I have driven a 900 on Abbott suspension and thought it worked well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:50 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900Ruby,vert, 9000, 99, Sonett
Jan will only go in the Ruby on main roads. Her spine problems mean that she is hyper sensitive to jarring. She prefers the comfort of a 9000.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 pm 
Saab Nut

Kliens are terrible springs. Lowering the c900 or 99 usually means you have very little travel to the pretty hard bump stops. If you hammer it down a bumpy lane it will bottom the bump stops and cause the car to pull to that side.
Basically we ran t16s springs for rallying on bumpy tarmac with billie rally spec dampers rather than b6's. For the road t16s and billies are very good. Also check bushes for wear, poly up grades on the front arb and rear axle help with handling. On the circuits we ran shorter and stiffer springs with the bump stops cut down and it handled really well like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:25 pm 
Saab Nut

One other option is the Sellholm front rally spring, which is stiffer than the klien front, but sits about std ride height. They do rears now, but I have no experience of these. The best set up for gravel is these and load hauler progressive rear springs and comp billies. They sit a bit low for our rougher gravel so space them up with 10mm spacers. On a t16 with more weight they may be an option with either t16s rear or the progressives and b6 dampers.

http://www.sellholmshop.se/catalogsearc ... p=1&q=saab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:36 pm 
Saab Nut

Billie b4's are just std dampers and not that mega. B6's for road use and they can be rebuilt and valving changed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
We have Jamex springs on the track hack, with B6s. It's a good set-up, lower than the T16S (which get quite high once you strip the car!) though still a little soft for the track. Have also had experience of those springs on road cars and they were very good, really pointy and direct while maintaining reasonable ride comfort. Not sure if Jamex are still available though.

96V4s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:24 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Slight topic swerve (for which apologies) - has anyone seen or know of K990 BBO? It was my mother’s car, which she sold to some fellow in Ipswich in 2011 - it then got sold on eBay for 3x the price last year. I’d love to stay loosely in touch with owner if he/she is on here. (My mother is still alive by the way, so it’s not that kind of sentimentality - just a lovely car and nice to stay in touch with it)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 pm 
Saab Nut

Think my 99t had Jamex fitted. Look softer than Klien and I don't think you can get them. Abbots are softer than Klien, so that could be an option.