UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:55 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:58 pm 
Active user

Car Model: C900i Convertible
My 1989 900i 16V has been in garage storage for about 3 months. Before it was parked up it had recently been serviced including new fuel filter, plugs, oil+filter, air filter, HT leads, distributor cap and rotor arm. I also replaced most of the small engine bay hoses with silicone pipes as many were showing signs of splitting. It was running great.

I went to move it today and it started fine as usual. I left it idling while I checked the tyre pressures and cleaned the dirt of the screens. By the time I was ready to go it was at normal running temperature.

The fault is that when you try to rev the car it will missfire. If you release the throttle it will go back to a steady idle. If you hold the throttle the engine will die. It will restart easily and go back to a steady idle. You can increase the revs gently, but anything else starts the missfire. I didn't bother to try driving it like this as it's an auto and I didn't want to get stranded so I just left it in the garage.

Any ideas as to what the fault could be? I checked all the connectors and pipes, but there's nothing obvious. I was thinking it's fuel related as I had similar symptoms on an old Ford with a blocked fuel jet that was carb though and this is Bosch fuel injection.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:18 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Fuel pump on its way out would cause those symptoms. Did you out fresh fuel in it? I know fuel goes off after a while, but not sure how long it takes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:56 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Mr Burrrrt wrote:
I know fuel goes off after a while, but not sure how long it takes.

People do say that and I'm sure it is true but my 90 started and ran fine after sitting out in the elements for 8 years with the same fuel in the tank and no fresh fuel added to start it up. We have cars here that only get started every 6 months, if that, and never have to fiddle with putting new fuel in them unless they are empty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:57 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900T16s, Daihatsu Charade GTti
Checked on the fuel front for mine and curiosity a while ago and apparently here in the UK we have one of the best quality petrol around and looking on the Shell website if I remember there's no difference for at least 6 months, even a year doesn't really create problems, end of the day much of it is to do with storage I guess, hope so, my Charade is broke and haven't got the cash to fix it at the moment and the petrol in it is 6 months old now but the tank is over 2/3rds full.
If it was going to be over a year in there then I would consider hot wiring the fuel pump and then running it into another car which is on the road, leave a little in the tank of course and then get a couple of Jerry cans worth in there

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:39 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: c900 verts and tin top
Crank position sensor failing. 2hr job sometimes they act up like this or will run and misfire occasionally another time they die..end of, which ever CPS needs renewing. Been there

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:10 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

16saabs wrote:
Crank position sensor failing.

Could be. If it turns out to be the case, we stock it here:
http://www.saabits.com/electrical/saab- ... h=165_166&

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:37 pm 
Saab Nut

What injection unit does it have? Only asking as the bosch mechanical metering units gum up. The test was firing each injector into a large container by hot wiring the injector relay.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:40 pm 
Saab Nut

The rubber can fail under the fuel pump in the tank, but I would suspect it wouldn't run at all andyou can hear the pump priming up normally on the first turn of the ignition.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

rallyv4 wrote:
What injection unit does it have?

He says it's 16V so I assumed LH.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:37 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95, 99, 900, 9000, 93, Sonett
If it's the 900i with the EZK, there are a few possibilities.

1. Poor fuel.
2. Fuel pressure regulator failing.
3. Fuel pump failing.
4. Failing CPS.
5. Failing EZK control ECU.

Our MY89 c900i has a failing EZK, which results in very retarded ignition & poor running when hot.

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2