UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
We have a tenant in the spare commercial units here at Fliptop Towers who has a 3D printer that he uses in his business. I was talking to him today about the possibility of making some replica centre caps, which he would be very willing to have a look at for us. Given the current number of wanted adverts for these, I thought it might be worth pursuing.

To come up with a quote for the design and manufacture, it would be best if I could get hold of a sample of each type required.

I have a spare plastic soccerball cap that I can provide (sourcing replacements for the round spring clip will be a separate challenge to resolve). Does anyone have a spare cap for the Ronal Minilites and Incas they would be willing to part with temporarily? If so, please get in touch with me.

Apparently they can be 3D scanned to speed up the design process, as it's more accurate than working from photos and hand-measurements.

No idea on the cost of doing this, yet, but apparently the main cost is the design work - the actual manufacturing process costs buttons.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, the tenant's firm is No Limit Designs and their main business is replica movie costumes...if you have a spare couple of grand, you too could be Spiderman :wink:

96V4s

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:59 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9000 Aero, 900 Ruby, + others
Excellent news Al ....

Price dependent I'm definitely after a set of the black 99 Turbo inca centre caps....
I might be able to borrow one as a template.

Steve.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:33 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert 1993
Hi Fliptop,

I have a hexagonal cap that you can use.

Looks like 63mm across the flats of the hexagon.

Ronal part number 8944621.

I can get on to this on Tuesday, please pm me your details if this is of any use.

Cheers

Jim

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:11 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 8V-V4
Click here for Inca caps.

I've drawn up a centre cap for V4 Ronals (Saab part no. 86 53 420). File available under Creative Commons non-commercial/ share alike licence if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:36 am 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
Cheers guys, Martin has put an Inca/Ronal cap in the post to me, so I can have them looked at. Will check out the Dr Jeep post later when I get chance... Thanks for the link, Melle

96V4s

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:26 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 80 99T,99GL LPG
Fliptop wrote:
We have a tenant in the spare commercial units here at Fliptop Towers who has a 3D printer that he uses in his business. I was talking to him today about the possibility of making some replica centre caps, which he would be very willing to have a look at for us. Given the current number of wanted adverts for these, I thought it might be worth pursuing.

To come up with a quote for the design and manufacture, it would be best if I could get hold of a sample of each type required.

I have a spare plastic soccerball cap that I can provide (sourcing replacements for the round spring clip will be a separate challenge to resolve). Does anyone have a spare cap for the Ronal Minilites and Incas they would be willing to part with temporarily? If so, please get in touch with me.

Apparently they can be 3D scanned to speed up the design process, as it's more accurate than working from photos and hand-measurements.

No idea on the cost of doing this, yet, but apparently the main cost is the design work - the actual manufacturing process costs buttons.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, the tenant's firm is No Limit Designs and their main business is replica movie costumes...if you have a spare couple of grand, you too could be Spiderman :wink:

There is a model for inca/minlite caps here that you could just get him to print - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:672935

The filament costs almost nothing, its the design time that is the expensive bit.

those inca caps above use about 20g of filament each and have a 4.5 hour print time on my printer. Black ABS is £16-£20/kg.

Ive got a 3D printer and am currently making these:

I'm also working on switch blanks for 99 Dashboards and adaptors to put a normal 52mm boost gauge into the factory 99 Dashboard pod if anybody wants them!