UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:05 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 900i 1991
The 900 is in the local garage today to have the shocks and springs changed for a new set, as supplied by Bill. Just called them and had a hail of expletives from the mechanic who seems to have had the devils job since first thing this morning getting the old ones off. Seems both rear shocks had to be cut off. Anyway I will be picking it up in the morning and it will be interesting to hear the details. Hopefully not too big an invoice!

Is this normal?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:57 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
Yep. The bolt rusts to the inner part of the damper bush which then separates from the rubber.

The bolt ends up spinning in the rubber, you can't get it out and end up cutting it.

The 9000 is notorious for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:57 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Yes, it's common. If he isn't that familiar with Saabs I'll bet he had trouble getting the front springs off too. There isn't a lot of room to use the common (cheap) type of spring compressor. Saab always used the type that works from one side, which tends to be rather more expensive. Even so, I'm considering buying one for my cars (and my other half's). It's a bit too scary otherwise :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:31 pm 
Active user

Life is never simple!

Shocks and springs fitted but have been trying to sort out an issue today with Bill as to why the car is now sitting very high at the front despite the fact that the springs were a good deal shorter than the old ones. The stiffness of the new springs should have meant it was only slightly lower but as you can see from the images this is now a yawning gap. To add to this the the back nearside is slightly lower than the offside. Input from Jamsaab and it looks like the problem at the front maybe a symptom of what is going on at the back.

Long and short of it the car is going to Nottingham Saab in a couple of weeks where Weston will hopefully have an answer.

Attachments:
9003.jpg
9003.jpg [ 584.79 KiB | Viewed 1524 times ]
9002.jpg
9002.jpg [ 667.15 KiB | Viewed 1524 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:32 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Martin (Jamsaab) and I spent a good while discussing this today with Martin taking measurements to compare with Tom's. The fact that the rear ride-heights were also quite uneven with the original springs points to a problem with the rear initially. Martin mentioned that the usual 900 "saggy bottom" problem usually results in both rear corners being low to the same extent (and the front high). I'm sure Wessy will be able to spot the problem and sort it out. We have sold literally (and I mean "literally" in the literal sense) dozens of sets of those springs over the past few years and they should end up like this (after a little settling time):
Attachment:
t16s_springs_cv.png
t16s_springs_cv.png [ 758.32 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:38 pm 
Active user

Yes the problem is definitely something to do with the set up of my 900 and not an issue with the springs themselves.

Will update as soon as I know what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:46 pm 
Active user

Car Model: c900 i se
Tomgc61,

Did you find out what was wrong with your suspension? I have a similar problem since fitting saabits sports springs. On the rear it's sitting 1cm lower on the drivers side. On the front its sitting 1.5cm lower on the passenger side.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

As mentioned above sort the rear out first as it affects the front.
Saab allowed the use of rubber shim washers between the spring pad and body to correct differences in ride height.
They are a 'proper' part and are shown on the IPC with a part number.
These sometimes fall off and get chucked away when the springs have been removed.
Try changing the springs side for side?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:25 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Cochyn wrote:
I have a similar problem since fitting saabits sports springs. On the rear it's sitting 1cm lower on the drivers side. On the front its sitting 1.5cm lower on the passenger side.

I got a PM from Cochyn, mnay months ago now, to say that he removed and re-seated one of the front springs and it sorted the problem out, which I was very pleased to hear.

Tom, did you ever get the garage to look at yours?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: c900 verts and tin top
The Bottom of the rear shock has the steel sleeve that the bolt goes through . Due to load /pressure over the years the bolt and sleeve bend, in the housing that supports it, so you can't get the bolt out, as the sleeve is between the two faces. I had to get an angler grinder and cut through the centre of both(bolt and sleeve, to get mine off, no prob with shocks on front, and rear springs, they are both easy, fonts springs need a bit more care.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:34 pm 
Saab Nut

They are about 7-10 different springs for c900's. A 16v turbo has more weight than a 8v na at the front. For instance Lesjorfors lowering springs are pretty much std ride height when fitted to a 8v 99 or 900.
I have a list of c900 spring rates/lengths somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:40 pm 
Saab Nut

When we ran the 8v c900 rally car at 1040kg the T16 springs raised the car higher than the std ride height and could be used on gravel or bumpy tarmac.
Best thing to do is check your spring cup rubbers and loosen and retighten the rear fixings with rubber bushes on them with the car at rest. I bet he just slammed them on, on the ramp.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:32 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Classic 900LPT
That’s the trouble with the dealers not about anymore how do you know for sure what you really need when buying parts,with Saab gone is there a choice of 7-10 different springs? Or just a generic Turbo/non Turbo spring........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:55 pm 
Saab Nut

No there are loads of different springs. For instance the cab has pretty stiff rear springs that are different left to right, thinking green and white. Just to confuse matters they used green on the front. I have a list of springs that one of the USA rally guys had tested. Think the T16 is silver gold??? Basically you could probably bunch them into groups, 8v, 2 door, 16v I, 16v T, Cab etc. I know the T16 we used for rallying were taken from a good second hand set that had done low mileage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:56 pm 
Saab Nut

Autos probably had different ones too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:07 pm 
Saab Nut

http://saabrally.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ring+rates

There you go, most of the spring specs including tuning springs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:21 pm 
Saab Nut

green, light green, black, or
white 373 mm (14.7 in.)
yellow or red 380 mm (15.0 in.)
pink or brown 388 mm (15.3 in.)
blue or light blue 372 mm (14.6 in.)
Sport chassis
silver or bronze 301 mm (11,8 in.)

Think pink//brown are cab springs and are longer for the extra weight all round.
Basically all you can do is pack the rear springs up in the lower seat to suit the front. Now its all unseized you can probably do that end yourself, with alloy or hard rubber matt. Cabs also work well with the progressive hiload spring on the back, which were an option for towing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 pm 
Active user

Update

I fixed this a few months ago and have been meaning to post a reply.

The front driver side was riding 1.5 cm higher than the passenger side and this also seemed to be making the opposite corner at the back ride a bit high.

I took the front driver side spring off and measured it’s free lenght which was spot on. I flipped the spring and refited it. The difference at the front reduced to 0.5cm with no differcne in ride height at the back. Don’t know why, perhaps the spring wasn’t seated properly the first time I fitted it.

I am satisfied with the outcome. And think the 0.5cm that remains in height between the driver and passenger side at the fron is caused by another problem. I can’t get the tracking quite right and the front passenger side tyre wears out on the inside edge much quicker that the drivers side. I suspect the bushes have had it. I replaced the bushes at the back of the car as they were well past their best and it made a big difference to the ride and handling so am hoping front bush replacement will sort tracking and even out the 0.5cm hight difference that remains at the front.

Also want to say that Bill at saabits, where I got the springs, was really helpful and offered to exchange the spring if the problem persisted. Top bloke and I highly recommend him for your saab bits. He is now my first choice for spares.

Deiniol

Last edited by Cochyn on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:53 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1992 3dr 900i
Sure it’s 0.5mm....?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:06 pm 
Active user

Oops. 0.5 cm ....5mm