UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:52 pm 

Car Model: Saab 900 Turbo
Before commecing operation the strip the whole car and put it in cardboard boxes I wanted to have one drive with working brakes (to briefly enjoy my purchase). Quite rightly Martin at Jamsaab told me to quit messing around with the electrics and mechanicals and get on with the body. This is my last act of mechanical messing - I promise.

Anyway..the front brakes.
Both pistons siezed and of course the handbrake is non-operational.
I've taken the caliper off the car.
I have free off and 'unscrewed' the piston with the 4 holes which works against the brake pad.
The internal 'screw' shaft pulled out of the remaining inner piston.
The other piston (the inner one with the handbrake mechanism acting on it) is currently soaking up penetrating oil but does not want to move at all.

Obviously I do not want to damage anything but really need to know if this back piston and casing should move, and if so how.

Option 1.
Can I 'drift' the whole piston and outer casing into the caliper casting and then out through the other end. This means I'm only applying force to the outer casing as I do not want to damage the insides.

Option 2.
Can I get the outer piston casing in a set of grips and try rotating it to get it moving so I can pull it out of the casing rear aperture.

Thanks

Jonathan

Attachments:
SSCN8979.JPG
SSCN8979.JPG [ 54.26 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]
SSCN8978.JPG
SSCN8978.JPG [ 52.31 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:22 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 80 99T,99GL LPG
Its been a few years since I last stripped one down but I think I always used a variant of option 1 followed by a bit of option 2. I think once you get it initially cracked apart it should separate fairly easily.

Before you drift it you can try just pressing it in with your vice. just put it in sideways and use the jaws to apply pressure and see if it moves it.

After you have done this you have the fun job of getting the handbrake assembly apart..

I have now bitten the bullet and bought complete new calipers for mine. They are expensive but it is so much easier!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:27 pm 

Car Model: Saab 900 Turbo
Thanks for that. The cylinder drifted out perfectly without damaging anything.
I've just gone mad with the wire brush and cleaned everything up.

Rather disappointed at the corrosion on the cylinder though. That coupled with a rather loose yolk (I was going to build up the surface with weld) makes me believe replacement calpiers are just round the corner for me as well. I've got all the seals to rebuild them but I suspect with the corrosion on the cyclinder it will never seal properly and I'll end up with leaks.