UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm 

Just putting back together a rear end restoration on a 93 900T Vert. Have got new send and return valves for the pump but the trouble is getting them to fit in the fuel lines. Looked in the Bentley book and the method that it explains just doesn't work. Tried heating the plastic line up but no joy. There is a Saab special tool but would be surprised if that would work. Not sure if the fuel lines have become rigid with age so no give in them anymore. Has anyone replaced these valves successfully and if so how?. Also can't find anywhere that do the whole fuel line with the valves already in place. Any pointers would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:38 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Leave the stubs of the original valves in place in the hose (they'll help to reinforce it) and use a short length of rubber fuel hose and two fuel hose clamps to join each valve to the hose. Two of our 9000s have worked well like that for years. I've never tried using the Saab tool. I've also never tried fitting the rubber hose over the end of the plastic hose without the stub being in there but it might work fine.
The original fuel hoses complete with end fittings have been unavailable for many years.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:02 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Saab 900s lpt
This happened to me a few years ago the fitting snapped in my pump leaving half of it in the line!! As bill said use fuel hose and fuel hose clips and clamp it both ends!!! However I popped in to see Martin at Jamsaab and he managed to get a new valve in my fuel line, he clamped the fuel line with a block and used a large pair of grips to compress the new valve in by pulling on the block, a self made tool which done the trick.. it will not go in by hand as it requires a lot of force! There are professional tools out there to press these plastic valves into these nylon fuel lines but may be hard to come across or find someone to do it! Fuel hose and clamps is ur best bet!! Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am 

Thanks Joe, Have been in touch with Martin. He said the same. Thanks for the input.

Cheers.

Pete.