UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:54 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-3, 9000 Aero, 96 V4
I must live under a rock as this is news to me, black & white number plates legal up to 1/1/75 :shock: It used to be 1972. Is this a rolling year as per for historic cars? It,s kind of a shame really, some cars with rubber bumpers etc would not look right in my not so humble opininon. I think it devalues the right of pre 1960's cars a tad. I will get Dotty one though as she is chrome grill/bumper and built on 1/1/72.

"The black & silver number plate was issued in the UK following the Motor Car Act 1903, this ensured all vehicles could be legally recognised in the event of a road traffic collision or potentially recovered if stolen.

Today these original plates are an emblem of genuine classic cars still being driven today. Although the modern white/yellow reflective plate was available since 1968 as an option on new cars, many continued to carry the black & silver number plate into the early seventies.

When it comes to the legalities of these old style plates, officially from April 2015 vehicles registered before the 1st of January 1975 can legally display a black & silver number plate providing they are registered with the Historic Vehicles taxation class. So effectively if your classic car is tax exempt then you can display the black & silver number plate."

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:10 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-3, 9000 Aero, 96 V4
Blimey yes legal for 'P' reg and before now :shock: Hope they never end up on Ford Scorpio,s, Peugoet GTi,s etc :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Aero saloon (MY00)
Don't worry, Peugeot GTI owners won't be adding them (unless they are a complete fud!) as, certainly in the case of 205s, they are moving towards the authentic factory standard look these days as values are creeping up.

To my mind fitting a classic plate on to something more modern than the aesthetic design of the vehicle itself would look as out of place as those vintage AA badges that "people of a certain age" like to display on the grills of their modern cars. Surely classic car owners generally strive for period correct features, don't they? So I can't imagine many would fit number plates that were entirely at odds with the rest of the car.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:47 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: c900i
I would. Purely on the grounds of aesthetics. Silver on black plates look so much nicer.

If I had a pre-'75 Saab 99 I'd be outside with the screwdriver already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:17 pm 
UKS Addict

I'm also surprised they've moved the date!

We have a K reg Morris Traveller that can legally have silver and black because it's actually a 71 imported from Jersey. Although now it would seem that in can have them anyway.