UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:19 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 900 t16s hatch. 9-3 hot vert
Hi all, i have just put 15 day's solid work into my car & i am knackered .It now has a newer engine / newer box (not from the same car) / whale tail / refreshed seat's e.t.c. but i have a problem . Whilst my car is a late one 1993 the newer engine is from a 1992 t16s & the gearbox is from a 1982 99 gl (5 speed type 7s). Before i did all this the gear change was good but now it is bad . The info say's lock in 3rd for the 1993 car but 2nd for the 1982 box. I have tried a lot of different settings to no avail. The box is pinned to the linkage ,the leaver is doweld in place in the car but as i said the gear change is awful , could it be something to do with the rubberised joint because they are very different but they do the same job & the one on at the present is from the 1993 car , the only adjustment is with the pinch bolt. Any thought's ?..

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:45 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Sorry mod's just realised i have posted in the wrong section , apolagies..

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

99bazza wrote:
Sorry mod's just realised i have posted in the wrong section , apolagies..

Thank's for putting it here mod's , i will take more care in the future but in my defence my head is so full of saab stuff that i hardly sleep ...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:08 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Part of you're problem may stem from the way in which the gearboxes centre in the 3rd / 4th plane.
The later gearboxes have a spring internally within the gearbox to do this.
Early gearboxes use an external mechanism on the selector rod just in front of the gear lever housing.
Unless you have done modifications you will now have a set up with no means of centreing the gear lever.

I would have thought you should still be able to get all the gears although the gear lever will be all sloppy.
Try putting the gearbox in 3rd, then put a 3mm drill though the holes in the gear lever housing and selector rod, then tighten the clamp.
This assumes you are still using the original 900 gear lever selector parts.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:36 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

saab surfer wrote:
Part of you're problem may stem from the way in which the gearboxes centre in the 3rd / 4th plane.
Early gearboxes use an external mechanism on the selector rod just in front of the gear lever housing.
Unless you have done modifications you will now have a set up with no means of centreing the gear lever.

I would have thought you should still be able to get all the gears although the gear lever will be all sloppy.
Try putting the gearbox in 3rd, then put a 3mm drill though the holes in the gear lever housing and selector rod, then tighten the clamp.

You sir have hit the nail on the head ,when the 99 box went in we did notice no self centre & today i have checked both the 900 units & yes they self centre . Sloppy is an understatement mate as i can just go up the box but changing down is a nightmare .. The box is good just the change , so if i understand can i retro fit a 99 mechanism on my 900 to make it all work or can the 99 box be modded to self centre ?..

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

99bazza wrote:
saab surfer wrote:

You sir have hit the nail on the head ,when the 99 box went in we did notice no self centre & today i have checked both the 900 units & yes they self centre . Sloppy is an understatement mate as i can just go up the box but changing down is a nightmare .. The box is good just the change , so if i understand can i retro fit a 99 mechanism on my 900 to make it all work or can the 99 box be modded to self centre ?..

You can use the 99 selector housing with the attached centreing mechanism but you really need a selector rod from a pre '86 900 as the 99 one is shorter.
To make the 99 'box self centre internally is not easy. Fairly involved dismantling and then you need all the right parts from a later box.

To be honest I think your best long term solution is to get the correct 'box from the car overhauled. It's just so much better in many ways, you've just found out one of them!
In addition:
Larger pinion bearing
Larger gearset and synchro rings
Improved selector rod operation
Larger dia. layshaft with better bearing arrangement
Oil filtration system
Larger inner drivers (you must have changed these to fit your car?)

Sorry! probably not what you wanted to hear.
Good work on the T5 though.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:16 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

saab surfer wrote:
99bazza wrote:
saab surfer wrote:

You can use the 99 selector housing with the attached centreing mechanism but you really need a selector rod from a pre '86 900 as the 99 one is shorter.
To make the 99 'box self centre internally is not easy. Fairly involved dismantling and then you need all the right parts from a later box.

To be honest I think your best long term solution is to get the correct 'box from the car overhauled. It's just so much better in many ways, you've just found out one of them!
In addition:
Larger pinion bearing
Larger gearset and synchro rings
Improved selector rod operation
Larger dia. layshaft with better bearing arrangement
Oil filtration system
Larger inner drivers (you must have changed these to fit your car?)

Sorry! probably not what you wanted to hear.
Good work on the T5 though.

So if i got a 99 selector housing (4 or 5 speed ) & extended the selector rod i should be good ?..Oh & thanks for the comment on the T5 work ..

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:49 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

From memory you need the frame with spring loaded rollers that mounts to the two 'ears' on the lower plastic part of the gearchange housing. Can't remember if you need the lower housing from an early car or if they are all the same. The frame can be from an early 99 or 900. You need the gearchange rod from an early car as well. It has a nylon square section that is clasped by the sprung rollers on the frame. Might be possible to transfer this bit from a 99 rod to your 900 rod, don't know, never tried!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:27 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

saab surfer wrote:
From memory you need the frame with spring loaded rollers that mounts to the two 'ears' on the lower plastic part of the gearchange housing. Can't remember if you need the lower housing from an early car or if they are all the same. The frame can be from an early 99 or 900. You need the gearchange rod from an early car as well. It has a nylon square section that is clasped by the sprung rollers on the frame. Might be possible to transfer this bit from a 99 rod to your 900 rod, don't know, never tried!

Thank you mate, this info is great ..