UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:27 pm 

Car Model: 900 Classic
Hi folks. Hope I can pick your collective grey matter...

When I start my car up (was my late dad's who passed away in August last year), it will stall unless I press the accelerator to keep the revs up. When it's warm enough to tick-over on its own, it will gradually start to gain. Then it will drop off and gain again.

I'm not too well up on mechanicals, so hopefully it isn't too hard to fix.

I had a car until the gearbox went bang, and this one has been stood since August, with only a trip to the garage for its MOT last year. The battery was dead and I've just bought/fitted a new one. I've been borrowing my mates General Motors Saab 900 (newer shape) which has its own problems.. But now I'm wanting to run my dad's old Saab.

I've taken a vid of the tickover once warm. I did Rev it once or twice, but you can tell when it's me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFUIyyCHmJ4&f

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:55 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1990 900i 2 door
Hi Rhys,
Others may know better, but it sounds like the idle air control valve is playing up.
If it is that, it's an easy fix, you would just need to change it for a good one. Maybe you'll find someone on here who has one.
Geoff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:28 pm 

mrmosky wrote:
Hi Rhys,
Others may know better, but it sounds like the idle air control valve is playing up.
If it is that, it's an easy fix, you would just need to change it for a good one. Maybe you'll find someone on here who has one.
Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I'll look it up.
I rung my dad's mechanic up and he reckoned it just needed a good blow out, but I wouldn't want to chance running it if its faulty.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:07 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Check all the vacuum hoses (not that many on a non-turbo) and replace the rubber grommets in the inlet manifold. Especially if it has been sitting for a while.
Worth doing to eliminate the possibility of leaks.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:29 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Looking at that video I would say the idle control valve isn't working at all, especially if you say it tends to stall until it is warmed up. It might be disconnected or have a bad connection to it or there might be a break in a wire. I can't remember if there is a separate fuse for it. It may be, of course, that the valve itself is dead. Certainly on later cars if the valve is unpowered it is designed to park in a partly-open position so the car doesn't become undriveable in the event of a failure. I imagine the C900 may be the same.

A faulty idle control valve won't do any damage. It's just inconvenient.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:16 pm 

BillJ wrote:
Looking at that video I would say the idle control valve isn't working at all, especially if you say it tends to stall until it is warmed up. It might be disconnected or have a bad connection to it or there might be a break in a wire. I can't remember if there is a separate fuse for it. It may be, of course, that the valve itself is dead. Certainly on later cars if the valve is unpowered it is designed to park in a partly-open position so the car doesn't become undriveable in the event of a failure. I imagine the C900 may be the same.

A faulty idle control valve won't do any damage. It's just inconvenient.

It used to stall until warm, it now starts and idles but gains and falls after a while. It's a bit unnerving when cruising in a higher gear at near tickover speeds as the car lurches with the rise and sudden fall.

I was told by my dad's old mechanic that a good run sorts it out, but it didn't on this occasion. It could probably do with a good blast with carb cleaner (another mechanic gave me this advice the other day). The fact that it's developed other faults, i.e. reverse won't go in properly when you want it to, means that I've pretty much lost interest in it while I have others cars at my disposal.